1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin suffers patellar tendon rupture, out for the season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

unfortunate that jerry is injured. he would have been traded to the cavs and co-lead cleveland to their second title with lerbon.

tinman likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Duh

amaru likes this.
  3. BackdoorHarden

This guy has no shame. Stealing money from the Nets. Who the hell does he think he is, Joe Johnson???

joeson332 likes this.
  4. threepointshot3

His career is pretty much done as a starter so it’ a logical step to opt in into a pretty good chunk of change ( even by nba standards)which he probably will never get as a nba player anymore.

His dumbass fan base aside you wish him well and hope he can still have a nice career as a wily vet from here on

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I watched most of the Knicks season after Lin erupted (like many NBA fans did) and what he did plus how he got scrubs like Jeffries, Novak, Fields plus gimp Chandler to contribute was amazing. If Knicks management didn't decide to go with Melo/Woodson and kept D'Antoni on Lin would probably be an all-star on the Knicks.

His WAR or w/e probably got cut short because Knicks decided to fire D'Antoni instead of going with the system they had. True Lin by himself probably wouldn't be a +10 winshare player but he was in D'Antoni system which makes any competent PG look like a god.

His injury on the Nets is unfortunate since the organization has Lin's best interest in mind. They got a system and coach that help Lin's playing style, and a Taiwanese owner who recently purchased half the team from Prokhorov late last year.

#385 LCII, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Madeinchin4 likes this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He was a 5 WAR player when D’Antoni coached. The D’Antoni “system” isn’t more than spread pick and roll. There’s not much that’s complicated, it’s just brutally effective with the right personnel. But actually that was his first year in Houston that he hit 4 WAR.

At any rate he’s not going to start for any contender

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Probably not, but he could probably lead a team to the playoffs in the east.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

So could Jameer Nelson. It's the East.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea...no lol

Astrodome likes this.
  10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

If Lin is Jameer Nelson, it'd be a pretty successful basketball career. Dude went to the Finals in 2009. So I guess there's no disagreements here?

11. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm talking about the guy who is hanging on to the end of the bench in Detroit (and who might legit be leading that team to an 8 seed until Jackson returns).

Lin is not Jameer Nelson. Never came close to the peak or longevity. He had a brief flash of success running a spread pick-and-roll offense, a reasonably successful start in Houston, and then a lot of nothing.

I think he's fine as a backup PG on a playoff team. I don't think he could start for a real contender. He would immediately be burned on defense, and his shot is just not consistent enough.

Honestly, if he weren't Asian, nobody would care about Jeremy Lin's career. He's a backup getting treated like a movie star.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't know how Lin is going to be after this injury. His game depends so much on his athleticism and this is a really bad injury. A patellar rupture is not good.

LCII and bulkatron like this.
  13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

So much hate. Unfortunately there's no proof you're wrong yet. Hopefully Jerry Lin stops getting injured and proves you wrong.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

It's called facts. He's a backup in this league. If he weren't Asian, there would be nothing unique about him. I have nothing against him because of his race. Yao Ming might be my favorite player of all time. He was also far better than Lin could ever hope to be.

If you see teams knocking down his door to pay him starter money to be a starter again, let me know. The last time that happened, it didn't turn out so well.

vlaurelio likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he was injured in Houston, LA, & Charlotte?

bulkatron likes this.
  16. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He played almost 82 games every year in Houston, LA, and Charlotte, @LCII. It's not injuries. He's almost 30 - there's zero chance that we see Linsanity ever again after a knee injury. He seems like a great guy, and I actually wouldn't have minded him off our bench (you know, except for the delusional expectations from his fans - start him over Chris Paul, etc...). But he's a backup in this league, and that's it.

Really, why is there any reason to be sour about his career? He's proved himself to be an NBA-caliber player, and he's pretty good. I'm Indian, and for a country of a billion plus, Indians have been completely worthless in most sports. Sim Bhullar and that lanky dude on the Mavs was about as good as it got - which is to say not very good at all. I didn't root for either of those guys; Sim was a chunky, slow center, and the other guy was just tall. Reminded me of the late 90's when everyone got some raw prospect from Africa because they watched The Air Up There.

So if this is a racial pride kind of thing, why can't you be proud that he's a productive NBA player? Why does he have to be a 15 WAR guy to validate himself to you or to anyone else? He's a decent backup, and he's capable of scoring in bursts. That's about it. But that's a hell of a lot more than 99.9% of the world. So why does his validation in the eyes of non-LOF's have any importance to you? Because it's not happening.

He's a backup and a successful professional basketball player, end of story.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jameer Nelson didn't do that, Rafer Alston went to the finals

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

You keep saying he's a backup yet he has mostly been a starter in this league. At least you have the sense to admit hes successful.

Also, any player that can stay in the NBA for more than 4 seasons has my respect. Compared to the scores of players ending up im China or Europe, Lin is doing great. I'm not sure where you're getting the 15 WAR or bust vibe from me from.

Heck, there are almost 7000 NCAA alumni playing basketball overseas. Even if Lin ended up in an European or Asian league and has a decent role there, I would be happy to watch him. In fact, he'd probably be an all-star type player overseas, so sign me up.

#398 LCII, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

No one is hating.... it's the truth! The dude is 29 years old (30 in 6 months), what more does he have to prove? He sucks at basketball - plain and simple. If it wasn't for D-Antoni he would be at the local Y gym playing with paulftsk as his side kick.

There's a reason why he went undrafted and there's a reason why he's still to this day being paid to play basketball. To answer both of those questions - it's because he's Asian.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he comes back a worse athlete and still does those jump passes when he doesn't look at where he's passing , then that's not good.

bulkatron likes this.