1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uptick in Spam emails

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have noticed a massive increase in the number of junk e-mails I have been receiving in two accounts for two different and otherwise separated providers over the last several days because some are getting through the spam filter. I am not sure what put my email on the lists as I haven’t signed up for anything recently, but it’s annoying.

Maybe equifax?

2. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

you know I'd never correlated the two. I get these ****ing emails ALLL the time since around a month or so ago. I blocked my gmail username in the subject since no one really sends me important stuff with it. anyone else getting emails with footers like this?

[​IMG]

3. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

And they put it as an image, so you can't keyword block say Holly Rahman :mad:

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My Gmail account is the same as always: Zero spam gets through.

gatsby and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. BleedsRocketRed

I get the occasional one that slipped through the cracks in Gmail. Mostly fake "amazon order received" or something. I have noticed the spam folder a lot more heavier than usual though.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Me too, so far.

My cell phone is a different matter. Rotating spam #s calling at least once per day. I keep blocking them, but they're always shifting to new #s. All to offer me a cruise.

BigShasta likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Spam phone calls have become a HUGE issue the last year or so. It's so out of control I rarely answer unless I recognize the number. When I do answer, I stay silent until verifying an actual person is on the line.

T-Mobile helps out a lot because it often identifies the caller as "Likely Spam". Props to them (I assume other mobile providers do the same).

8. B-Bob

I do the same. I just hope/trust that real callers will leave a msg. Pretty much: if I don't recognize the # and it doesn't leave a message, I block that #.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If you answer and stay silent, callers will usually say "hello", start breathing or background noise will give them away.

10. B-Bob

But my reputation among friends is weird enough already. #physicist #lowEQ :D

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The worst part is when your number gets spoofed and robocalls someone, then that person calls you back and leaves a nasty voicemail. These robocallers should die.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Spam phone calls are up too. It’s obnoxious because I get phone calls from people not in my contacts and can’t be sure if the call is legitimate or not.

I can see when the uptick started because the spam in my junk folder went from 1-2 per day to 5 or more an hour.

They’re obnoxious too. Reminds me of the mid 2000s.

13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I think one of my coworkers Gmail was hacked because one of the spam emails was from them.

:mad:

Or maybe it is Experian after all because the emails try to say they are in my area, but they are mentioning a city I haven’t lived in for almost 10 years.
    I think there is a spam bot net operating out of China and I found myself on it.

#13 Ubiquitin, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Spam doesn't bother me nearly as much as the calls from spoofed numbers. I get 5 or 6 of these per day - all from a different number. Blocking them does me no good, since the same number is never used more than once.

I used to play games with them, tell them to take me off their list (horrible idea), google the number, etc. but I get so many I don't even answer them anymore. They never leave a message.

Ubiquitin and B-Bob like this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What is your email address? I will research and find out the answer for you.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

If you guys are getting robocalls, DOWNLOAD THE HIYA APP.
    You can send spam, fraud and calls with your number prefix straight to voicemail.

I use this in conjunction with ATT call protect (it's powered by HIYA but it works at the network level).

I get ZERO spam calls. I was getting 5 or so calls that closely resembled my number.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Poloshirtbandit

I've been getting lots of calls where the number looks similar to mine.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.robokiller.com/blog/local-call/
    What is neighbor spoofing?
    Neighbor spoofing, otherwise known as NPA-NXX spoofing, is a form of caller ID spoofing used by telemarketers, scammers, and robocallers. Neighbor spoofing uses auto-dialing and VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services to send unsolicited phone calls with an outgoing Caller ID that closely matches your area code and phone number.

By mimicking their caller ID as closely as possible to the phone number they are placing the call to, spammers can trick more of their targets into answering the phone. This strategy ultimately increases the odds spammers will be successful in stealing from more people over the phone.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When receiving a call from an unfamiliar number with the same area code and prefix, I never answer under any circumstances because it is obviously spam.

Spoofers can stick that in their pipe and smoke it.

B-Bob and Ubiquitin like this.