1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline wishlist...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jan 30, 2018.

?

What posistion of need is most important for Morey to address?

1. Back-up Center

37.6%
  2. Back-up PG

9.2%
  3. We shouldn't mess with chemistry..no trades at the deadline.

4.3%
  4. As long as we get rid of Ryno I'll be satisfied.

48.9%
  1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I’ve already read this post elsewhere...

This doesn’t change my argument, at all...

If Ryan made 10m no one would hate him. But at 19m he’s “clearly” holding us back. lulz...

The price to move ryan will make us worse.

We cannot trade Ryan and become a better team. Better flexibility sure, but we can’t move Ryan and get better.

We are serious contenders THIS year. Trading him for a negative return is stupid, biased, short sighted and flat out dumb.

Unless morey pulls a damn rabbit out of his hat Ryan is going no where this deadline. In the offseason, absolutely, but not THIS seasons playoff run

#21 BigMaloe, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    RudyTBag, photojoe, HTX Ninja and 3 others like this.
  2. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Yeah I was worried about Ryno coming into the season because of all the Melo trade rumors. But he seemed to handle that whole thing well because he started the season pretty good. I think it's almost impossible to not be distracted when your name is constantly involved in trade rumors.

bilaal14 and topfive like this.
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but doesn't data show that RA is already the biggest negative on the team next to Tariq.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Doubt we are active in the trade market.

More likely we are in the buyout market.

5. BigMaloe

BPM isn’t some holy grail statistic...

If he was put in the second unit and legit only played backups he would become this big positive bpm player.

He’s a lower end starting pf or high end bench reserve.

He’s put into a role, and paid for a role, he is not suited for.

But anyone, DISREGARDING salary for a moment, who can honestly say Ryan isn’t a decent player and provides a decent skill set are just not bright.

Ryan is not worth 19m.

He might not even be worth 10m.

But he is worth something.

He’s better than a lot of PFs in the league.

He just doesn’t fit our defensive switching scheme.

He’s a stretch 4. That’s it...

photojoe and Mr. Turbo like this.
  6. BigMaloe

BPM isn’t some end all, tell all statistic.

Mr. Turbo likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this...jealousy mentality...a majority of ppl are immature..

BigMaloe likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol he was one of the biggest positives vs warriors... and hes so good that hes contributing even when not shooting well...GRAVITY

9. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I would just like Ryno to just hit 4-10 threes a game. Yes I get 40% is a high percentage.....but for a shooter that gets good looks from 2 elite playmakers...it's not asking too much.

He's getting paid the exorbitant amount to hit those at that volume. So I'm fine with standing pat with our current roster but he needs to hit those.

This is not just a slump like any other slump a player goes through. It's become psychological it seems and it's on him. I don't know what the deal is but for him to start off the season being assertive shooting high attempts at good clips, and then just be hesitant to put up 3-4 attempts a game.....is ridiculous.

I blame the coaching staff a bit on this as well. Why aren't they just telling Ryan to shoot it? I know they've given the team the "green light" on a blanket level, but still, it appears Ryno needs coach to tell him to just shoot and not worry. (who knows, maybe that's already been communicated and Ryno has just gone to a psychological place of no return at this point).

It's just inexplicable how timid he's become. He is ABSOLUTELY a liability playing in this scared-to-shoot mindset. He has the somewhat occasional game where he rebounds and perhaps makes some contributions on defense, but that's not happening nearly enough to offset the harm he's doing to the team being out there and not doing what he's primarily paid to do.

If Ryno went 0-10 from 3 EVERY game....well yes...that would not be good either. But I will say that I would be more forgiving and sympathetic as a fan because he is at least letting it fly.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

And the odd thing is, all indications are that Ryno's struggling because of the looming trade deadline and the rumors that have persisted about Morey wanting to unload that contract. If for some reason he's still with us after the deadline, expect his slump to magically fade away as he knows he'll be a part of this team until summer at least.

HTX Ninja, BigMaloe and 1Deep like this.
  11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

please stop he's not the key to beating the warriors

its not like Cavs is begging Morey offering Kevin Love for him

s3ts likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lol, it's not jealousy. Nobody here is jealous that Ryno's making a lot of money.

It's anger that someone taking up so much of our team salary is underperforming.

vlaurelio, s3ts and Why not? like this.
  13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

The spacing RYNO is "perceived" to provide is slowly eroding away the more passive he becomes. The daylight that he usually embraces to get parking lot shots off is still available to him, but defenders are noticing he's pump faking when they are a good 3-4 steps away from defending him.

This in and of itself really disrupts the Rockets' offense and rhythm for each possession it happens. CP3, Harden whoever are all making the passes to him, but he's not coming through and shooting it. Make or miss is not the issue, but this offense needs Ryno to shoot in order for it to flow. This usually results in a broken play where he puts the ball on the ground and gets ripped or makes a tough pass back to CP3, Harden or whoever and they are forced to create shoot an ill-advised shot.

I've said before and still believe this: The Rockets back when Ryno was gun slinging it early on in the season were at their best. That is the team that can't be beat....even by GSW.

This current Rockets team at "full strength" can still beat the Warriors in a series in spite of Ryno's passive play, but it'll be much more difficult and a bit demoralizing for the offense.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I hope you're right but we might not get the luxury as fans to see that come to fruition. He very well may be gone come the deadline. if that happens, it's still "ON HIM" (Ryno). Why? Because he's allowed himself to be psyched out by the business side of the NBA that EVERY player goes through.

You're getting paid good money regardless..it's guaranteed. Go out and just shoot shoot shoot. If the looming trade rumors truly have any impact on his mindset in playing, then he's a very feeble minded individual and his teammates certainly don't deserve their efforts negated by his passive play.

topfive likes this.
  15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Rockets pretty much have their rotation- the starters + PJ Tucker, Luc, Nene, and Gordon. I'm sure in the playoffs Ryno will become more of a nominal starter on many nights. It's highly unlikely Rockets find a guy who breaks that rotation. With that in mind, Rockets have two paths to take:

1) getting more players who fit the rocket mold who serve as injury insurance and can step into the rotation if someone like Ariza gets hurt. This strategy entails going after players like the ones Bobby Marks mentioned in his ESPN article, e.g. Mario Chalmers and Aaron Afflalo. Not guys you want getting minutes, but vets that would not be completely lost in a big playoff moment when their number is called. I don't like this strategy because it doesn't really move the team's ceiling, it merely creates a higher floor. It's the conservative move.

2). getting players that give you a different look. This would mean targeting guys like Bogut (a true Center with more size than anyone on our roster) or a 3 point shooting center, or a defensive minded guard. These guys also wouldn't crack the rotation, but they add another dimension to the team, and could be invaluable in the playoffs in specific situations. For instance, in that Pelicans game, Boogie and Davis were killing Capela. Would have been nice to have someone big to wear down Boogie, even just for like, 8 minutes. A few extra stops and that would have been the difference in that game. A big burly center may not be as necessary now that Boogie is out, but you get the idea. This strategy moves your ceiling up, but does nothing for the floor. This is what I hope the Rockets do.

1Deep and Mr. Turbo like this.
  16. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I think sometimes as fans we tend to underestimate the impact a trade or even trade rumors can have on a player. When you consider having to uproot your family and move at the drop of a dime to a totally new city and playing with new teammates wondering if you'll be accepted it can be a lot on a person.

Look what happened to Blake yesterday. You sign a deal to be the franchise player in sunny LA(Clipper for life) in the offseason and then you're suddenly traded to cold ass Detroit before the all-star break. That's tough man.

17. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

As a T-Mac fan imma have to strongly disagree. People wanted McGrady cut, traded or killed.

18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

I respect your point. I hate to keep referring to "money" but in their case, they are making a GREAT living and likely set for life (if managed properly). It's one thing to hear chatter about your company or dept looking to cut employees and you're possibly on the chopping block. Yes, I can totally understand the pressure that's brought on one by that. That's gut wrenching because you could be unemployed. No income to provide for family.

Professional Athletes, yes they are human but that "stress" you speak of first of all is truly first world problems that they go through during looming trade rumors. Yes social acceptance is an important factor, but I would at least expect them to do what they are paid to do. In Ryno's case, he is paid to shoot 3s. He can't control whether he's in a shooting slump. But he needs to look for his shot, regardless of the possibility of being traded away.

That's my point.

1Deep likes this.
  19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I don't get why he doesn't just let it fly. From the perspective of a stretch four, this could not be a more perfect offense for him. Prime Randerson would have thrived on this team. Not many players get to shoot as many three's, or as many wide open ones, as a shooter in this system.

If he was more of a factor and averaged more like 14-15 points a game he would be worth his contract. But his value is almost solely limited to his spacing at this point. He never has high-scoring nights, and will frequently put up goose-eggs. I envisioned his shooting keeping us in games, and putting us over the top in some instances (which he did a couple of times last year), but that has been non-existant this season. Don't get why he's regressed so much, but a large part of it is on him for being so passive. He's averaging just eight attempts a game, the lowest mark since his second year in the league.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

but it is a useful statistic, when used in context. The Rockets are a great team, great net rating, etc. yet Ryno stil has a huge negative bpm. so relative to the team as a whole, relative to other players on the team and other lineups, etc., over a number of games now, the team sucks when he's on the court.

the thing about it is, it's not just this random statistic. it's the eye test by fans. it's the eye test by the coach who is slowly playing him less.

yes, he should be a bench player. it's his salary that's the problem

sure, his salary is a problem given that.

I mean, I can say that to a large extent, over the last two months, and be accurate. He has a good game here or there, but on the whole, is below average these days. His GameScores for the last 6 games are 6.8, 8.3, 5.1, 4.7, -2.6, 8.4. He had 2 solid games before that, but... well, I don't need to lay them all out, just look...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/anderry01/gamelog/2018
    He has a 12.1 PER this year... which of course is below average, and the worst of his career.

He's just not been decent over the last 2 months... he just hasn't

I mean, sure, he's not worth $0.

But, again, if DM could find a trade partner that would just take Ryno off our hands for say a 2nd round pick and no salary in return, do you think he'd do that?

I do... because his $20 million salary cap space is worth more than whatever his actual value is.