1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline wishlist...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jan 30, 2018.

?

What posistion of need is most important for Morey to address?

1. Back-up Center

37.6%
  2. Back-up PG

9.2%
  3. We shouldn't mess with chemistry..no trades at the deadline.

4.3%
  4. As long as we get rid of Ryno I'll be satisfied.

48.9%
  1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

As the trade deadline approaches what do you think we need most or who would you like to add?

I would love to add a solid back-up center like Tyson Chandler. I don't trust Nene's health.

We could also use a quality back-up PG.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and Codman like this.
  2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Backup center is the only roatation weakness. Sure everyone hates ryno but he is still a decent rotation piece and would be on most teams around the league. Quit comparing his wallet to his contributions, he’s overpaid we all know it but doesn’t mean he isn’t a contributor still, albeit in a slump lately.

But nene is another year older and slower. Less reliable and black is worse as a player.

With capela only showing glimpses of being able to play 30minutes a night it is something we should/need to target.

Tucker/Anderson at the 5 is not the answer for small stretches of the game...

Edit: Also, OP should change thread title to “Trade Deadline; Position Priority”

#2 BigMaloe, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    D-rock, jch1911, seeingredtx and 9 others like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd add to the list, a utility big. Someone that could play minutes alongside Capela/Nene at the 4, and some 5. Add some size, defense, and rebounding for stretches.

Maybe a Speights, O'Quinn, Taj Gibson type.

PJ Tucker is sort of playing that role now, but I'd like to see him free'd up to guard perimeter guys in the playoffs.

BigggReddd, D-rock, mike2k132 and 9 others like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Most of those options to me.

Back up center cause Nene is just hurt too often, but i would also like a little insurrance at the pg, i feel like for both positions we might look at someone in the buyouts market though.

Trade Anderson makes sense if there's a chance to give us more flexibility cause we don't know if there'll be a chance this summer, and at some point he's the one who has to be moved if we want to make an upgrade.

5. BigMaloe

Speights is the interesting target, not the defender that taj/o’quinn are but does space the floor and provide rebounding. He’s a tested veteran with good playoff experience.

He’s gotta be extremely available and extremely cheap. He’s also an expiring so no long term worries.

D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

1a.) Get a strong defensive minded 5 that will compliment Acapella!
    1b.)Unload Ryno and wish him good fortune elsewhere!
    1c.) Get a top 3 "best" home crowd!!!

bilaal14 and mikol13 like this.
  7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

backup cneter is fine for the po's. till then just use w/e we have.

only thing realy is a 3rd star, and cant get that w/o trading ryno. i'd throw in green (dont need more offense), reluctantly throw in pj or mbah (not ariza or eg), and a mass of picks, including our current 2nd rounders zhou, nanu, and hartenstein.

if that doesnt do it then eg or capela will have to go.

i dont think any good trades for this package will be avaialble so i'd rather see what this team can do in the po's.
    dont even need to make a minor trade, we're set.

8. mightybosstone

This is the guy I want. Someone who can play the 4 or the 5. Because there will be nights when Ryno is useless and Tucker isn't big enough to handle an opposing team's big man. New Orleans shouldn't be an issue any more, but the Spurs and Aldridge certainly will be. Lopez was obviously hinted at by cyberx in the buyout market. He's someone I could see stretching the floor as a 4/5 and possibly playing alongside Capela or Nene defensively in a pinch.

9. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

A stretch 4 that doesn’t cost $20 million a year and a backup center.

BigggReddd, jch1911 and bilaal14 like this.
  10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I would love to replace Anderson for a Julius Randle-Zach Randolph-Olynyk type player then sign a center maybe Lopez if he gets bought out. Pipe dream but that would be amazing. Hopefully not Bogut. There is no reason to put an injuried prone player on this team.

11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I don't think I've ever seen Rockets fans so united about getting rid of a guy as everyone seems to be about Ryno. I just struggle to see an attainable better option at the 4.

da_juice, photojoe, Remlap and 4 others like this.
  12. BigMaloe

Dumb hive mentality..

There is absolutely no player we can acquire using Ryan that makes us a better team.

People are just mad he makes a lot of money and want him gone as if they are paying his salary...

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Add a versatile 3/4/5 type like Jae Crowder, with a moderately easy to move contract.
    Trade Anderson's Contract so that we have an easier path to trade for LeBron if he wants to come here, or if Cleveland won't play ball the ability to trade to create cap space.
    Add a backup C through waivers. Cyber says Brook may come available. I'd be all over that. If the Clippers plan to hold to DJ, Boban would be perfect, I can't see a situation where we have salary space to add him unless we find a partner for RA.

I don't think going for a DJ this season is the way to go, every move that we make should make it easier to add LeBron in the off-season while keeping as much of our core as possible.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Which should tell you something...

With that said, i like Ryan, i really think he's a nice guy, but it's not even worth to debate this much at this point imo, he's playing bad while he's getting paied a lot, if we want to get better we have to move him sooner or later so, yeah...

As for players to trade and play in his place i don't know, i think there're few options out there and some should be pretty cheap, Ilyasova like suggested but someone here few days ago is a good name, should still be better or at least not worse than someone who can't play the last 7/8 minutes of a game anyway.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I get you, but I don't think Lopez is that guy. He can't play alongside someone like Capela.

Still I think if there are guys out there that can play that flex big role in stretches that would pay dividends. I want Tucker to play up on superstar wings we might see in the playoffs like Kawhi, Durant, Paul George, etc. His physicality on wing scorers is something that is going to pay dividends. If he's guarding guys like Pattrick Patterson, and Draymond Green, its not a great way of utilizing his talents as a physical wing defender.

da_juice and Beardaholic13 like this.
  16. mightybosstone

I think he could if they switch roles offensively and defensively. Offensively, Capela is your pick and roll partner and guy who gets lobs around the basket, and Lopez plays a little more outside to stretch the defense. Defensively, Capela has the lateral quickness to stay with opposing 4s and play more help defense on the perimeter. And Lopez can plant himself in the paint next to the opposing center.

But I don't think Lopez and Capela would necessarily play a ton next to each other. You'd save that for lineups where it was needed, like occasionally against San Antonio's Gasol/Aldridge front court.

I agree there are other guys out there who could accomplish that utility big man role, and Tucker would be better suited defending opposing SFs.

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Joe Johnson

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1/5th of the cap, 3rd highest player for the past 13 losses has been -135 BPM. an average of -10 BPM per game. pj tucker a 2nd worst by far -86 BPM.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...=0&age_max=99&game_result=L&order_by=diff_pts

so I would say him giving up more points to the opponent than contributing to the team has caused majority of our losses this season

and for the past 25, he's a team worst -59 BPM. Even tariq black is only -18 BPM. so that means everyone from harden, cp3, ariza, capela, ego, lmm, tucker, nene has to play alot harder offensively and defensively to make up for the points given up when rynos in the game.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...id=HOU&age_min=0&age_max=99&order_by=diff_pts

and if you only count the losses in that 25 game stretch, he's a whopping -104 BMP. -13 BPM per game. no wonder morey wants to get rid of him as fast as possible.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...=0&age_max=99&game_result=L&order_by=diff_pts

c1utchfan925 and zigzag like this.
  19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Yeah, i'm with you on that. I just hate that he plays so passive out there, not even looking for his shots now. Early in the season he had his confidence going and was looking to put it up 7 to 8 times a game. Now if he shoots 5 that's a lot for him. BUT, he is still a threat and that makes teams guard him out there, so he still gives that spacing. We may have to hold on to him.

Maybe his mind is not right because he knows the trade deadline is near and his name is always out there to be moved so he is worried. If he stays, maybe that will give him his confidence and focus back and he will turn it back on.

topfive and 1Deep like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets suck when he is on the floor.

They're better off at this point benching him... but they can't do that because of his salary.

If DM could trade him into some team's cap space and get a trade exception back, I suspect he'd do that. It's not about finding a "better" replacement. It's about managing the cap.