1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two Million People (and counting) Receiving Tax Reform Bonuses

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jan 12, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People can not be this stupid, can they?

This temporary bankrupting and adding of 1.5 trillion to the debt is not a good thing....

This GOP administration is full of propaganda for the stupid.

DD

Rashmon likes this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course they can be.

And you know how many of them just say that is still way less than Obama's deficits, not understanding this is on top of the already massive deficits we are running each year. But lets go ahead and increase military spending some more.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be nice if that were really true.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Kimberly-Clark Announces Layoffs, Along With $3.3 Billion In Operating Profit

Kimberly-Clark plans to cut up to 5,500 jobs — about 13 percent of its workforce — and get rid of 10 manufacturing plants, releasing a restructuring plan along with its year-end results that showed net sales rose to $18.3 billion, up slightly from 2016.

The maker of popular brands such as Kleenex, Huggies and Kotex, Kimberly-Clark says its operating profit for the fourth quarter of 2017 was $812 million — a drop from $839 million in 2016. For all of 2017, the company is reporting nearly $3.3 billion in operating profit, down slightly from 2016.

At least those 5,500 will have a little extra in their pay checks, until they get laid off.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But I'm sure Kimberly-Clark will be putting their immense corporate tax savings into substantial raises for the remaining employees. Right? Won't they?

No Worries likes this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

OP how's that $50 a month bonus working for you?

7. dmoneybangbang

Using my logic to apply to an extreme, I know you are smarter than that.

I'm all for sticking it to the boomer generation, who put us into this fiduciary dilemma. You with me?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

A famous economist once said...

superfob and R0ckets03 like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All those tears will help their Kleenex bottom line

B-Bob and JuanValdez like this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully this restructuring will help their stock price rise to new heights. That will save the Kleenex - especially the boxes with the trains

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And for like every one of those there is like 20 of these.

Edit: I think I was wrong when I made the 1 in 20 refefernce. That doesn’t begin to scratch the service. I just checked the list and tried to count all the companies giving bonuses, pay raises, adding jobs etc.... I started counting at companies that start with A and by the time I got to companies that start with E I was already above 60. This list is so massive that it’s literally to long to fit in an allowed post on this bbs.

https://www.atr.org/breaking-capital-one-will-raise-base-wage-us-employees-15-hour

I’m sure you guys will claim it was all pre planned in some way with no explanation why these companies didn’t do this during the last 16 years.

#71 crash5179, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I see you’re back on the, “It’s better for a company not to be profitable” rhetoric.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We could do an anecdote battle. You would likely win since the us and world economy are both doing very well at the same time.

But ...

You have to admit that one time bonuses, while greatly appreciated by the workers, does not provide meaningful wage growth in the long term.

The one time bonuses also represent pennies on the dollar of the tax break windfall that the companies will reap.

There is a basic income inequality that the tax breaks only minimally address. The tax breaks will expand the economy; economists have a differing opinion on by how much and how long. Companies' bottom lines will improve. But this does not mean companies will raise salaries. Thus tax breaks are good for the company, but meh for the employee's salary.

If you look at the US economy since 2010, companies are seeing record profits and are sitting on tons of cash. The cost of capital since 2010 is damn near zero. The combination of cash in the bank and the ability to borrow more cash for free has not lead to an overheated economy; just an economy that has had middling growth. The new tax break is going to increase the cash on hand for companies. Expecting wage growth from this goes against companies' behavior of late.

TheFreak likes this.
  14. cml750

cml750 Member

My company just sent emails to us saying all employees will receive a $1000 bonus in February. They did not mention the tax reform bill as a reason however they have NEVER done something like this before. They actually did not give a reason as to why they are doing it and I have not seen it advertised publicly that they are doing it. All they said is that it is not tied to any annual wage increase or regular annual performance bonuses.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Your PR department needs to get on the ball!

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Toys R Us closing 180 stores.

Thanks, Trump!

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So much of what is happening the economy is completely independent of the tax bill -- I would hope all of you can admit that.

Our-Toys-Rust has been struggling for a long time. The overall economy has been growing fairly steadily (though, apart from the stock market, 2017 created fewer jobs than 2016 in the US).

Agree with those not putting much import to one-time bonuses. I did not get one, and I don't blame anyone in particular for that. And if I received one, I would just thank my employer. A meaningful raise to base salary is what millions of Americans need, of course. And for those without salary, many need education in the worst way.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Are you arguing this wouldn't of happened if the tax bill hadn't passed?

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Honestly I didn’t even know they still existed. Amazon complete outclasses them

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Profitable should be every company's goal. The distinction for some is whether short term shareholder value and the bonuses it's attached to outweigh customer value and the overall gains for it's employees.

Then there's profitability through loopholes and localized tax breaks. For example, Amazon is well within its rights to spark a bidding war among cities for a second hq, but there's a race to the bottom vibe coming out of the process. This happens everywhere but for Amazon, it's go big and brazen or go home.