1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

My wife's from Maryland. Every time we watch a game on TV, she says, "What's with all the empty seats? That's so pathetic." Of course, she also likes to call me a bad fan when I start yelling at the team through the TV :)

Drogba and hakeem94 like this.
  2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Maybe the Rockets can actually win something in the playoffs for once? Easy to blame the crowd when we have been consistently one of the worst playoff performers in the last 20 years. Hakeem and the mid 90's Rockets stepped up in the playoffs. Not like our current fake superstar.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t pay attention to the stands. Just focused on how to beat the opposing team.

Don’t sweat things out of my hands (as a player).

Love basketball so much that I would go to local parks for pickup games.....& no audience

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Shame on anyone who didnt vote media conspiracy

RiceRockets, hakeem94 and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Not sure Toyota Center or Tilman can change the fanbase to be crazy loud. Usually only turn up for playoff games, but even that's not a guarantee. We're 3rd place in a 3 team race for sports. Sorry Dynamo.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

all our crowd are belong to texans

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I think it’s a different number of factors, but one thing is for sure, Houston is a football town.

Ticket prices for Texans games are insane compared to Rockets games, yet the Texans stay packed and loud.

I also do agree that the whole Toyota Center “experience” and vibe is a joke. A lot of what goes on is generic and used. It feels like people are there to watch a broadway play and if you yell or scream, you’re given a death stare.

I don’t doubt that there are a lot of passionate Rockets fans out there but they’re just not in the Toyota Center.

A few years back I drove to San Antonio to a Spurs game when they were playing vs us. I gotta say the atmosphere was extremely different. The crowd was always in the game even when they were losing, and the fans just looked more into it.

Idk, but bottom line the atmosphere at the Toyota Center is a joke.

hakeem94 and Louka like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's not wrong. Our lower-bowl crowd is pathetic.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Miami has notoriously bad crowds, to the point where even the players were complaining about it when Lebron was there. Probably not a great example.

10. Mr Chuck Norris

No miami has bandwagon crowds, fairweather fans...but At least the fans are there (when they're winning) but you better believe they'll have sell out crowds if their team is a top 2 team (like we do)

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

from my point of view the game starts too early, should be at 730 but seems like games don't start at 730 anymore. It's hard to get to downtown in traffic if you're not in DT already. I used to be in midtown so it wasn't an issue, but now coming from Cypress, I leave at 545, and I'm still late. Next everyone is starving after it taking over an hour to get to TC. The lines at all the concessions is super long, it usually wraps all the way beyond the little rope they have. As a result, I usually skip it and go to my seats and then wait until 6 minute mark in the 1st quarter to go get food. it's just commute that gets in the way of people getting their early.

Of course that's not the whole reason and the lower bowl is lacking, but those seats are all purchased for corporate businesses already. Rich people don't have time to go to every game, they have other important things to do. That's just life.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They should offer discounted tickets to knowledgeable fans who actually care about the Rockets. They could have an exam before every season that you have to take in person at TC, and if you score high enough then you can buy a pack of tickets for a discounted rate. This would get some of the more hardcore fans in the good seats AND would encourage people to get more interested/knowledgeable on the Rockets.

Also I personally need moar Saturday/Sunday day games, though I know 1) that's not in the Rockets control; and 2) those games typically suck as the players aren't used to them.

Rockets Rule and hakeem94 like this.
  13. s3ts

s3ts Member

I never said they're expensive. I never said we're any cheaper or more expensive than any other team in the NBA. I don't know why you're putting words in my mouth.

I said corporate buyers sit sideline (not on the floor, as you say), and show up late, embarrass us, terrible fans, etc.

14. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Can't deny it. So many times I look at the crowd and notice that the seats are mostly empty, especially early in the game. Tough to get attention in a football town who's baseball team just took home the title!

15. rockets13champs

FINALLY!! Time to wake people up. Rockets last had a good crowd I think during 2015 WCF. Last time rockets crowd was into a game

16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

They're also one of the cons I consider when debating whether or not to buy tickets

WeAllHateDallas and hakeem94 like this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hope more media people talk about it so Tilman gets embarrassed enough among st his billionaire friends that he actually does something about it.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Corporate buyers buy seats in every NBA arena to the best of my knowledge, and again, give them to people within their companies, clients, etc. That happens in every arena.

I think a bigger issue may be the way the arena is designed. Doesn't seem like it traps noise that well. Hard to get it rocking.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

The crowd during that Smoove-Dwight AAU showcase in G2 against the Mavs was one of our most electric of the past 5-10 years...

EightDoobies and heypartner like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

if a crowd of people who are cheering and hyping the crowd for the actual home team is an actual con for a competitive sporting event, then you shouldn't even really be attending games live

WestendMassive likes this.