1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I expect......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 2, 2018.

1. basketballholic

No excuses given. The bench unit was an anomaly.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And this is why you are the worst poster on here.

You are usually wrong over and over again. You spin stats into dubious deductions. You fabricate what's on the minds of management and the players.

Reality is, you just pull stuff out of your ass and then fail to admit you are wrong. You can stand by your remarks all you want....I expected that...

BigMaloe and Drogba like this.
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

notice how Paul's turnovers are high.....like we said last season, the system is to play fast and that will result in high turnover numbers

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

wrong
    wrong
    wrong
    wrong
    wrong
    ???
    this

5. Nook

Nook Member

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

what happened to hollic only referring to cp3 as "crispy". It was making me cringe hard AF but now I kinda miss it

7. basketballholic

Yes, his turnovers are higher then I expect. But I don't attribute that to "playing fast and expecting high turnovers". I expect while Harden is out that the turnover count will reduce as the starters get more familiar with a Paul-led attack.

Besides, if high turnovers are a result of playing fast.....That means they'll go down if we play a little bit slower,,,,, right? So, let's slow the pace 3-5% to be in line with those Suns teams where Nash routinely averaged 10-12 assists while playing the first three quarters and sitting a lot of fourth quarters because the game was decided. See, Nash averaged less than 4 turnovers a game, that's a 33% reduction from what Harden averages, while slowing the pace only 3-5%. That's close to a 5 point spread and more than offsets the offensive rating difference between our team and the Suns teams by just lowering the pace slightly.......if indeed your premise that playing at 99-100 pace is responsible for higher turnover count from our point guards.

Personally, I believe that the more familiar the starters get with Paul and the more they sync with him the same way they sync with Harden that Paul's turnovers will drop with them and go back to his customary 2-3 turnovers per game and his typical 3-4 Assist/Turnover ratio.

We've got some time to see. And we've got time to see if Anderson breaks out of his shooting slump. You combine just those 2 factors, the starters adjusting to Paul and Anderson getting his stroke back (or replacing him with Green in the starting line-up, my preference) you'll see the Ortg of the team when Paul is on-court with the starters soar.

#207 basketballholic, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

i couldn't care less about turnovers if it means we are trying to get as many shots off as possible. this team is different to those Suns teams, they were more athletic and had less of a dish and drive game when the point guard is trying to pass to the wings over three defenders arms. We don't want Green in the starting line up, he is better coming off the bench

9. basketballholic

You should care about turnovers. Each turnover is a 2.5 point swing against us.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

never seen a 2.5 shot before. they don't worry me at all. Missed shots cost us losses more than anything

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Good lord. How many Ls can someone take in their own thread.

I'd have ignored this terrible poster by now if it wasn't so damn comical seeing him embarrassed again and again.

And again.

12. basketballholic

Each turnover is a possession we dingy get a shot. That's 1.27 points. Each turnover is an extra possession for the opponent. A good portion of those possessions are in transition. Upward of 1.25 points against. A turnover is over twice as damaging as a missed shot.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

What about offensive foul turnovers?

How about dead ball turnovers?

Out of bounds turnovers?

All turnovers aren’t created equally and not every turnover results in a made transition bucket.

Therefore; each turnover is absolutely no way no how a 2.5pt swing.

You can say, theoretically, a live ball turnover represents the possibility of a 2.5 pt swing but your insistence on absoluteness is...

How should I call it?

... an anomaly.

#213 BigMaloe, Jan 9, 2018
    Downtown Sniper and Nook like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is not true.

Per game, each team has the same number of possessions. The only slight variance is a matter of who had the ball last to end a quarter vs begin a quarter.

Aside from @BigMaloe pointing out that TOs that stop the clock do not hurt your DRtg on opponent's next possession anymore than a made basket does, this statement is also not necessarily true. You can have a turnover after an offensive rebound.

The formula you are looking for is something like
    (Points per 1st Shot of your possession) plus
    possible extra bonus for Live Ball TOs, like
    (Opponent ORtg on Live Ball TO) minus (Opponent ORtg on Starting a Possession from Rebound or Out of Bounds)
    If you don't have that subtraction, then you are doing double counting. And that extra bonus only counts when you have an actual live ball turnover.

bottomline: This is not up for debate. Your 2.5 pts/TO number is bad math. You are doing double counting, because you are treating a turnover as an extra possession, which it is not. The next possession was going to happen, anyway.​

#214 heypartner, Jan 9, 2018
    Richie_Rich, marky :) and BigMaloe like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So is a missed shot then. This is asinine logic. A turnover is a wasted possession to be sure, and live ball turnovers in the back court hurt badly - but it's not 2.5 points difference in the score. You're assuming a team has a fixed number of possessions in a quarter. This is not true. If someone fouls immediately after a turnover is committed for instance, resulting in free throws and hardly any time being taken off the clock - even if the opposing team hit both free throws it's only a 2 point change in the score because the team gets the ball back with about the same amount of time on the clock.

You just don't know jack about what you're talking about. Stop pretending like you do. We're all wrong a big chunk of the time. But dude, you are just wrong pretty much all the time.

16. basketballholic

It average out to 2.5. Live ball are more. Dead ball a little less.

Edit: Calculated out the actual number for you.

Rockets score 1.2 points on non-turnover possessions. That is to say all possessions that end in at least a shot or a deer of free throws.

So when we commit a turnover we lose 1.2 points. But we also lose the opportunity for an offensive rebounds and another shot. That is another loss of 0.13 points. So we lose 1.33 points. On the other end, we give up 1.17 points per turnover.

That's a 2.5 point swing. Add it up.

If you remove the turnover neither team gets the possession. We collect an additional 1.33 points and they don't get an additional 1.17 points.

#216 basketballholic, Jan 9, 2018
  17. basketballholic

2.5 per turnover is accurate. It's a shot you don't get and an extra shot the opponent gets.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

???? Your math is wrong as you aren't taking into account time. You aren't losing two shots, just one. You must have failed accounting

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Holic vs The World
    [​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Against the Blazers

w/Paul on-court
    69 possessions
    82 points
    Actual Ortg 118.8

without Paul (and no Weber at all tonight)
    31 possessions
    40 points
    Actual Ortg 129

I'm surprised how well the bench is doing with Gordon running out.

BigMaloe likes this.