1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I expect......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 2, 2018.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you counting these by hand? Is there finally a site that will count actual possessions rather than calculate them.

Also, when tracking Paul from now until Harden returns, do you have a link that allows us to see Paul filtered by games or dates?

arabrocket likes this.
  2. rockpileindisma

OP year after year gets way too caught up in thinking scrubby players who are good against scrubby competition is going to take an NBA contender over the top.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

try this link maybe just change the dates in the advanced filters

"For funsies Beard On-Court OffRtg during 14-game stretch without Chris: 112.9 (click)

So basically, what the OP should be looking for is Chris having a higher OffRtg than 112.9 for the next several games without Harden instead of comparing last year's team. I'm not sure what this accomplishes though because the team will still play minutes without CP3 during this stretch, and also that net rating is far more important than OffRtg."

4. basketballholic

Play by play

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You can do that on nbawowy.com.

stats.nba.com may also provide that functionality -- not sure.

6. heypartner

So you mean you are counting possessions by hand. kudos if you are.

I'm very interested (beyond the prediction you made in this thread) whether there is a site providing "ACTUAL" Team Ortg versus one that calculates possessions, so we don't have to count the PnP by hand.

fwiw: I think you have a typo. That is 107.89, right?

Is that an answer to my second question? That is: you can get estimated/calculated Team ORtg filtered by a player's time on the court while specifying a date range of games?

My first question is separately of interest ... BBRef and NBA stats both want to maintain the ability to provide historical Team ORtg, so they stick to calculating possessions/pace, right? I'd love it if someone also does Actual possession by using PnP.

7. durvasa

Nbawowy stats are derived from the PBP directly, not the box score. So possession data (as well as true shooting percentage) should be more accurate at small samples, if that’s your concern. Over a large sample, box score based estimates should be good enough.

And it also allows you to filter by date range.

8. heypartner

I'm more referring to BBRef and NBA stats count possessions significantly differently, and it gets annoying when fans and official stats ppl on twitter post ORtgs, and it's not clear whose formula they are using. Makes sense. That key formula shouldn't be up for debate.

My wish is either all sites drop historical data for estimated Team ORtg and just use available PbP data for Actual from the last however many years (BBRef has since 2001), or they agree on a formula for calculating possessions from boxscore.

------------------
    wrt: nbawowy. Just to be clear that I'm doing a query correctly, if I select Houston Rockets all-games last year and put Harden in the On court filter, then I click the Team Tab, that PPP number is the Team ORtg (x100).

That's very cool.

Hey try something for me to verify I'm using the sites correctly:

at nbawowy, I'm getting 116.3 for last year's Team ORtg with Harden as ON filter with Total Points as 7123 and Poss as 6122. Then I go to BBRef and use the Plus/Minus query for the Rockets (also derived from PbP) and it lists same amount of minutes for Harden, but Team Points are 7205 and Poss are 6156 giving ORtg of 117.0.

I don't care about the discrepancy, just whether I'm doing this correctly and you get same numbers.​

9. basketballholic

Going through PbP takes at most around 5 minutes. I do it in my head. Two tribulations. Possesions and points. Look for player entry and exit. It's simple really.

10. durvasa

Yes, I got the same result as you. Not sure why.

heypartner likes this.
  11. vlaurelio

can you quickly get Harden's O rting when he's on the court on the games Cp3 missed?

TIA

12. basketballholic

You can query that on basketball reference.

13. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

It's still early, but looks like my hunch was right.

14. vlaurelio

Yup harden was holding mda back from unleashing this teams offensive potential

amaru likes this.
  15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Weber looks like a poor man Patrick Beverley lol.

16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I hope this shows all the morons that rag on Harden because of defense and TOs just how special the guy is.

When harden is on the court playing he bails this team and makes them a top 3 team with ease maybe even the 2nd best team.

Without him the team suffers on both sides.

Missing LMBM should not matter this much. He's very good on D but we should not be giving up 108 to a shorthanded mediocre pistons team missing Drummond and Jackson.

I hope we can atleast play .600 ball with harden out. Missing him till prob after the allstar break could really hurt our chances of keeping even a top 3 seed.

We need the beard back 100%.

This stretch is showing everyone just how great he is and why he really is a top 3 player in the NBA, bottom line is he produces a lot of wins.

Only Lebron curry and KD truely impact winning like Harden.

Get back healthy soon beard the team needs you bad.

Cp3 is good but Harden is on a different level and it's showing.

Harden would have won this game by Himself. His gravity with the ball gets guys better looks than cp3.

Erbnwarfare, Deuce, amaru and 2 others like this.
  17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Chris Paul cannot be THE guy on a contender. Harden can.

It's like OP already forgot about 2015 (like everybody else who hates on Harden).

amaru, arabrocket and YaoMing#1 like this.
  18. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Oh boy how many times does haulic have to be wrong predicting outcomes? Lmao

19. vlaurelio

Yep lol at these fans betting against harden

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Frankly, I think we would have won if Harden were playing instead of Paul, but that's not on Paul. It's more a team familiarity/needs issue: this team is designed to function around a historically elite scorer. Moreover, these players seem to have gotten a liiiiiiittle too comfy letting Harden do everything while they just stand there or jump up.

heypartner likes this.