1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Lombardo is wrong here. The Texans success in those 6-7 games had as much to do with Watson's improvisation on the fly as it did with O'Brien's game plan. I will give O'Brien credit for adapting and implementing plays Watson was comfortable with.

craigharmann likes this.
  2. texian

texian Member

One of Rick's favorite media puppets, selling the same crap to fans over and over again for 12 years.

What we know from Solomon is it's never Rick's fault. All the "good things" are Rick, all the bad things are the coaches. I don't call that "wisdom", just more of a waste of space from the Comicle writer who calls himself "The King". :rolleyes:

Again, you conflate HC and GM responsibilities to push your agenda.

Rick is responsible for the roster. He is 100% in charge. That's the core of the issue O'Brien has with Smith. He was given the impression when hired that he'd have more say. Ask Lance Zierlein about it -- he knows a little bit about the NFL and the goings on at NRG.

It began with Rick being cocksure that Garoppolo would still be there in the 3rd round -- which was idiotic because of course Belichick and O'Brien value the same types of QBs and the Patriots had to get a back and they didn't have a 3rd round pick. Just dumb. Unless...

The only reason you don't draft a QB for your new QB-centric head coach until the owner forces you to is if you don't want the coach to succeed. If you think Rick would've let his choice Lovie Smith dangle in the wind for 3 years without a QB you're just gullible.

He has his choice of head coaching jobs, and most every one has a better GM than Rick Smith. (Low bar.)

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nope, it has always been reported that they build the roster together and have never had a disagreement taken to McNair. O'Brien is trying to blame this roster on Rick when he was part of the process.

4. Mr. Clutch

Exactly. This idea that O'Brien isn't getting the players he wants is nonsense.

bloodwings19 and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

meh

Rocket River

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans should look to trade him, if they prefer to move on & market is as hot as they say it will be.

Cardinals eyeing Bill O'Brien, among others, if Bruce Arians walks away

... With Arians future up in the air, Keim and the rest of the Cardinals brass has made preparations in case. One possible candidate to take over for Arians has emerged: Texans coach Bill O'Brien. The team has let word slip that O'Brien would be a top target -- if available.

... As for O'Brien, it's unclear what his future holds. He was adamant this week that he won't quit on the Texans, an indication that he'll return. But nothing has been announced. If he's out in Houston, the Cardinals will be interested.​

#1866 J.R., Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Every single team that has a head coach opening wants O’brien.

What does that tell you?

I’m really curious to see how dumb Rick is this offseason.

8. Mr. Clutch

Lol.

O'Brien's media minions working overtime these days. Just because Arizona would interview him doesn't mean he's some hot coaching candidate.

You know they're gonna ask him about the QB carousels and the gutted roster. He better have a good answer that isn't just blaming Rick Smith.

#1868 Mr. Clutch, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Oh wait.

You are the same guy who said Watson was trash and a horrible pick.

I’m trying to pretend like you may know what you are talking about.

texian likes this.
  10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Why do people keep bringing up Watson when discussing O'Brien and how great he is as a coach? 1) If memory serves her preferred Mahomes, 2) Despite an entire summer with Watson, he went with Savage to start the season, & 3) they went 3-3 with Watson when they really should have gone 5-1.

Dude is a bad coach, let the Giants or Cards pick him up and lets focus on upgrading with a legit HC.

11. Mr. Clutch

O'Brien started Savage over Watson.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd agree with 2/3 of that. Watson looked pretty terrible in preseason, so the decision to start Savage was defensible.....that said, Watson made tremendous progress in an almost unfathomably short period of time and you are right, the Texans should have gone 5-1 with him instead of 3-3. Those 2 extra losses can be 100% pinned on bad coaching decisions by BOB.

Also, I think given how much shade we throw at the GM, he needs to be credited for making the move....I know BOB will claim that it was his call all along, but if you look at the war room when the pick was made......I think we know who was REALLY for the move and who maybe had some reservations about it.

[​IMG]

Now all of that said, I support giving BOB one more year to finally learn how to coach football before looking elsewhere only because he doesn't seem to have lost the locker room yet and a lot of the failure this year can be reasonably blamed on injury. The second the Texans do fire BOB though, they'll be the top option for every FA coach. BOB won't be hard to replace.....since I still don't know what it is he allegedly does well. He's not a defensive coach, he's not a special teams coach, he's been terrible at being an offensive coach, he's an awful talent evaluator.....from what I can tell the only good thing he's done since being with the Texans was bringing in RAC to coach the defense which is tainted given that they'd probably be better if they managed to keep Wade Phillips.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jay Glazer:

I think this year, you'll have an unprecedented number of teams looking for head coaches. Usually it's 6 or 7. This year could be 13-14. Whether someone is going to retire, be fired or even one team, the Houston Texans, they're sending word out they're looking to trade Bill O'Brien which I don't see happening at all.

(Had the Bears, Cardinals, Lions, Redskins, Bucs, Colts, Texans, TItans, Bengals, Broncos, Raiders, Giants on the board behind him)

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would be awesome if we could dupe a stupid team into giving us their first round pick for BOB. Really that's the best case scenario, the Texans get to have a first round pick AND get a better head coach at the same time.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Mr. Clutch

So the Texans try to trade him based on the leaks that everyone wants to hire him. Everyone laughs.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If everyone really wants to hire him (doubtful) then they'd be willing to trade for him to ensure they can have the amazing head coach that is BOB and his.......whatever people think he does well.

18. texian

texian Member

Somebody needs to stop the idiocy that is Rick Smith.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How would that be idiocy? If a team was willing to trade for our terrible head coach, he'd be an idiot to not listen to offers.

20. texian

texian Member

Rick Smith is on one side and the rest of the NFL is on the other side.

If you think Rick is "right", you'll continue to get what you deserve from the Texans management.

The last, recent times Rick was on one side and the rest of the NFL was on the other:

AJ Bouye
    Brock Osweiler
    Brandon Brooks
    Gary Kubiak​

Enjoy his handiwork!