1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lavar Ball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HardenMvp, Jul 18, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The players you named ARE exceptions. Nothing can create "certainty", but one and done exposed a boatload of over-hyped HS players and prevented some major drafting mistakes.

One and done was very good for the NBA IMO, but not necessarily for all individual players.

Purely from an NBA fan standpoint, I'm not happy it's going away. But denying guys the chance to get a payday by one year just isn't right.

On the time frame, based on how Adam Silver has publicly mulled this change, I think it will happen way before 5 years.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the best case would be to at least eliminate it for the G LEAGUE
    Basically players can play straight out of high school . .. for money . . . associated with the NBA . . in America

Rocket River

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, there's no doubt it was better for NBA teams. There was pretty much zero downside.

A- Player goes to college and gets exposed, saves them the bad draft pick.

B- Player goes to college, is good, but clearly not NBA good yet. Don't have to waste a year of their rookie contract for on the job development

C- Player goes to college and is great, comes into league with more fanfare, still a high pick

Sucks for the kids, but it is better, much, much better for the league.

A_3PO likes this.
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I did say they were exceptions, but all great players are exceptions, right? The one thing you can say is that high school players did have greater boom or bust potential, it seemed they were either great players, multi-year all-stars...or just out of the league.

I don't think one and done helped bad teams, bad teams just scout poorly regardless, every year they do. Good teams simply don't. I'm not sure how many drafting mistakes it prevented because I think those mistakes would have been made by those teams regardless. I mean, we still have guys like Tyrus Thomas who well...turned out not to be very good. I thought it was pretty clear to most that LMA was a better player, a more skilled player, but the Bulls did not...I mean Anthony Bennett was a top high school prospect and despite the flaws that most could see the Cavs still messed around and drafted him first. You just can't protect bad teams from stupid.

Then a long list of guys like Thabeet, Len, Flynn, our very own Thomas Robinson who played multiple years in college and it still did not prevent these guys from being top 5 picks. I guess my point here is them being seen more doesn't mean they get scouted well.

Personally, I think there is nothing that can be done about it, some teams scout well, some teams don't. I mean International players are pretty similar to those high school players but if you ask me come with even more risk since they may not just ever get comfortable playing in another country and being so far removed from friends and family.

They come in extremely young. They come in with little info on how they would actually do against NBA level competition...and yet watch Doncic go top 5. One is picked top 5 to wildly varying results about every year.

I personally can't remember guys that were hyped going into college and then played their way out of the NBA? Ben Simmons would have been a one and done...or would he? It's still a personal decision from the players themselves and most are going to play in college and at least the guys that do will not be there as someone just looking to pass the year until they are drafted, will probably be more guys looking to improve their game.

5. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

BBB we out here!!

Jontro, Daddy Long Legs and RudyTBag like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I always felt like in those instances, the NBA should set aside a small % of their salary for college so they can just go back later if they want, regardless of if they squandered away their money.

The REAL reason they eliminated it was FOR the players. The Players' Union is made up of NBA players who want to protect NBA jobs. High schoolers aren't represented by the Players' Union and they threaten veteran jobs.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you can join the Marines, you can join the NBA.

8. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

We out here doing it for the culture!

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You can do better. Shitty trolling all things considered

Roc Paint likes this.
  10. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

The Rockets could have done better last night lol!!!

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

FFF for the BBB from the BBB

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

13. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

Buncha small ballers crying lmao

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Lmao. Getting an F from the BBB is actually really hard to do. Like, the kids running lemonade stands don’t even get F’s.

16. mig0s

mig0s Member

That's not a really good example. Lemonade stands are cheap, refreshing, convenient and usually serve good fresh products. No reason for them to get a F

HAYJON02 likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

napalm06 likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Get LaVar in the Celebrity game!

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

TBH, I missed the clown show. ;)

LaVar Ball isn't happy with the Los Angeles Lakers.

In the wake of Lonzo Ball's name being floated in Anthony Davis trade rumors, LaVar Ball appeared on the Doug & Wolf radio show in Arizona and ripped Lakers head coach Luke Walton:

"Luke Walton was the worst coach he ever had. It was Magic [Johnson] who said he was going to be the dang face of the franchise. But Magic ain't doing no coaching. And the only person to kill Lonzo is the coach pulling him out and not having no confidence in him. Everyone who's had confidence in Lonzo just let him go and let him win. That's what he does. He wins. Luke Walton turned him into a loser. A loser's mentality is like, 'Oh, he's young, he'll get it.' Instead of just letting him go out there and do what he does."

Davis didn't escape Ball's wrath.

"AD is good!" Ball said. "But he's not a winner. How many playoff games has he won? He's been in the league a long time, there's a difference between players and winners."

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How did he escape LeBron's dungeon.