1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo says the Thunder need to be more selfish

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HRox832, Nov 19, 2017.

1. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Yeah man he hasn't changed a bit. Anderson has played better this year than I expected too so there's that.

I'm not feeling too bad about how this all played out at the moment.

YOLO likes this.
  2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm not sure that Adams/Roberson is a better fit to beat golden state over Capela/Anderson when you factor what we already have on the roster.

Roberson is a very good defensive player but one of the worst offensive players in the game from everywhere on the court freethrow line included.

And we already have luc and tucker for what he brings to the table.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I’m no Roberson fan and his offense is atrocious but I don’t think OKC features him correctly. The guy defends like hell and with Curry guarding him I’d send him to the glass every offense possession. Anderson is the better shooter by far.... well at least on the road in the regular season. In the playoffs, Ryan can be found on the back of milk cartons. Roberson FTs are so bad that it essentially makes this a near wash talent wise. Both are very limited players on big contracts but all things being equal give me the guy that defends like hell. Defense travels but shooting doesn’t always travel (well in Ryno’s case it always travels and is never at home )

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

whats there to feature. hes not a floor spacer. you cant give him the ball to create or make a play. theres just no comparison here. people severely try to overplay the effect he has on the defensive end. its not nearly enough to warrant being a net +. perhaps the way to feature him is bringing him off the bench as an 8th man or beyond for no more than 5-10 mins over a full game

5. amaru

amaru Member

Roberson is terrible offensively but he always brings it defensively. Anderson only brings it offensively on the road in the regular season and while the defensive effort has improved it’s not his MO over his career. Playing with Paul and Harden would improve Roberson offensively. He’s a great cutter and plays hard. Westbrick isn’t a player who makes anyone better.

6. amaru

amaru Member

Playing with two real PGs would greatly benefit Roberson. Who said anything about featuring him? Role players don’t get featured. I agree he’s a bench player on a championship team, but I also think Ryno is in the same boat. That’s why I said it’s essentially a wash.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

your angle to justify roberson just doesn't make much sense when ryno is absolutely a huge part of what the rockets are. you have to assume playing with paul and harden would improve him offensively. how? the league guards him worse than rubio. his shot wont get anymore wide open than it already does. the bottom line is he is atrocious offensively

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

no it doesnt benefit him bc he doesnt have to tools to benefit to begin with and thats shoot. Two of the best pgs in the league dont put the ball in the basket for you

who said anything about featuring. you just said in your post okc doesnt feature him correctly. plenty of role players get featured. EG is featured on the rockets. capela is featured on the rockets. not sure where you got that from

9. amaru

amaru Member

Semantics but let me rephrase....I don’t see the Houston Rockets, as currently constructed, beating the Golden State Warriors 4 out of 7 times in a playoff series barring injuries. I also don’t think Morey and Co. see it either hence the off season chatter about adding Melo. If they truly thought Paul was enough with the current roster then why even call NY?
    They called because they know we don’t quite have the juice.

10. amaru

amaru Member

From what I’ve seen he cuts hard and has good hands. You don’t think playing with Harden and Paul would give him easier shot opportunities than playing with Westbrook?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. not with him. cp3 and harden do work but they dont do miracles

12. amaru

amaru Member

You are correct I did type feature. That was a poor choice of words. I meant to say they don’t utilize him correctly.

And no, no role players are featured. A feature player is a top 1-3 guy on a team. Capela’s success is the result of Harden’s dominance. Always has been

13. amaru

amaru Member

They’d get more mileage out of him than Westbrook would. If nothing else their gravity opens cutting lanes.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

well your definition of feature is different then. if you;re going to talk about feature using primary is probably more ideal. bc you can make a case for a ton of guys who are "featured" bc theyre absolutely of important on a specific team

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If you can't shoot the greatest playmakers in the world can't help you. Even playing next to Harden and getting as many wide open looks from the corner he could ever want, Corey Brewer couldn't put a pea in the ocean. Roberson is shooting 37.5% from the free throw line, he's a lost cause. Teams could just hack him intentionally and put our offensive sets to a halt. We did it to OKC in the playoffs. I don't want it to happen to us.

Rocket River and YOLO like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

and when have you seen these cutting lanes in this mda offense. thats not what it is predicated on. theres just way too much assumption from your angle that playing next to those two just does a miracle

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know I was just messing with ya

But I think we have a great shot
    I still think it is too REF Dependent
    We have to REF PROOF our roster

Rocket River

18. amaru

amaru Member

Yes I had a typo in the initial post. Capela’s role is important and it’s a credit to him that he’s been improving in that role. But let’s be serious here, Harden is the reason for his success....without Harden’s dominance, Capela wouldn’t be nearly as prominent as he is now.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean not sure who's a worse shooter at the moment roberson or lonzo

20. amaru

amaru Member

I think we have the best shot out of any other team but I wouldn’t call it a “great” shot.

I’d put it at around 20-25%