1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BETA Sign-Up] Movie Pass Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Jan 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I dropped my service with MoviePass. I just didnt go as often as I thought I would. Also, finding someone to go with who doesnt also have movie pass can be a drag. Finding someone who will invest in such a subscription can be just as difficult. It was a good set up, I might repurchase the service down the road as it wasn't bad, just not enough trips to the cinema to offset the cost of the subscription.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

The app can only be signed in with one phone

but I get away with that, when I let my dad use it, he calls me up, I use Fake GPS on Android to make it look like I am at the theater he is at, check in, then he is able to use it

I'm still going strong with it, still average 6 movies a month and that includes the advance screenings I go to 2-3 times a month. I didn't use it at all last month since I was out of town, and had guest from out of the country for 2 weeks, plus Thanksgiving. Have already used it 3 times this month, trying to make up for it.

I don't think it is worth the $10/more a month for 3D, I just pay the difference if I really want to watch it on 3D/IMax. I was able to pay difference to watch Maze Runner on DBox a few months ago at Santikos. Not something I'll do all the time, but once in awhile.

btw, did anybody notice AMC charges a bit more with tax now? It use to be an even number, $10, $9.50, now it is $10.03... wtf?

#102 Dave2000, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Moviepass now $9.95 per month.

LCAhmed and Dave2000 like this.
  4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is less than the price of a normal movie ticket. How does that even work?

5. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

The joke is on anyone who signed up. You are now BETA

6. Dave2000

They basically going the WWE Network route, getting as many subscribers as possible, sell ads through their app, have links to buy the films u watch once they hit digital/bluray, and bet people STILL won't use it. Find it funny they announce it AFTER the summer movie season is over since mid August usually releases duds. Wouldn't be surprise if they raise the price before May next year since it's no contract.

quick update since I last posted about it in 2014, about 2 years ago, I started "cheating" the system where the days I wouldn't watch a movie, I would "check in" through the app, load my debit card, and use it to buy gift cards. Went on for 4-5 months, got caught/terminated Dec 2015, and my card was charged $280 for all the gift card transactions they caught. To be honest, I know it was about $500 worth, so to me it wasn't bad. I signed up for the service again a month later, but they terminated the account less than 2 weeks in since I was banned. Did a work around where I got a prepaid AmEx card, had the debit card sent to my sister's place (different city), used a different email address, but still under my name. Worked fine up until Sept of last year, so I was able to get by for 6-7 months. Gave up after that since the raised the rates to $40/month, up from the initial $25 when I signed up.

You bet your ass I'm trying it again for $10/month, this time they accept Paypal for payment, using different email, using different name since it's not associated to a credit card, and sending it to my other sister's house. If they figure out it's still me, then yea, the tables have turned and they're stalking me.....

Kim, VanityHalfBlack and mrm32 like this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

Is the site working for anyone?

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AMC wants to OPT-OUT of MoviePass. Don't know why they would. They could sell 10x the amount of $12 popcorn.

9. Dave2000

It was slammed after the announcement but was able to sign around noon

They're stupid, Moviepass is paying them the whole amount, they claim it "degrades" the experience, they don't get a dime out of the ticket sales, more people will go out now and pay for their overpriced concessions. Funny how their stock went down after their displeasure but the other chains didn't......

10. VanityHalfBlack

AMC is garbage anyways. Regal all the way.

11. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Just signed up. What a cool idea! Especially at 10 bucks haha

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Man, the site is about as stable as one of my ex girlfriends. I'll give it a go again a little later.

J Sizzle and BigShasta like this.
  13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

They're afraid that Moviepass will follow the Netflix model and will build a big user base and start building their own theaters with exclusive rights which would cut into their customer base.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I signed up. I'll remain skeptical until I see two movies with it and don't have to pay. But we'll see. Either way, it's such an allegedly good deal that there's no downside.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

It sounds like a good deal if there are 11 movies a year you feel the need to see. For me, it's probably 7 or less ( Star Wars, 2-3 Comic Book movies, 1-2 Oscar nominations, 1-2 my genre ).

With some products, price determines value. I don't think that is the case with movies. Although I certainly think you could double the price of something like Star Wars and would come out ahead. Like someone said, it doesn't matter, as all the money is made elsewhere either in food or toys. So it has to be the case the theaters are afraid of being taken over. Which certainly could happen as their is nothing about the experience right now that makes me loyal to a particular theater.

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

FYI, All Cinemark, Studio Movie Grill and Regal locations in the Houston area accept this. AMC also but who knows if they'll be able to block moviepass at their locations.

17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Was able to sign up. Was about to cancel because my local theater was not showing up. Wasn't even able to cancel at the time because I guess the site is getting hammered so bad. I guess they are getting a handle on their servers because my local theater is showing up now so its all gravy. Just have to wait on the card now. Couple of movies I've been wanting to see at the theater

18. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Moviepass now $6.95 per month. I'm really tempted to sign up again. How's it going for the folks that signed up for $9.95?

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Love it. You absolutely have to be a movie person and like going to 2-3 per month to really make it worthwhile, but since I'm that person, it's a godsend. Just switched my subscription to the $6.95 a month plan.

20. Dave2000

I'm still good so far with it, average about 3-5/month since I signed up again in August

I would do the annual offer but hate paying for it all up front