1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature] Justice League

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmenacela, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Cavil as Superman is great. Mamoa as Aquaman really worked in his limited time. Gal has grown on me as WW but her acting is weak. They blew it with Ezra as Flash but maybe it was the writing and he will be better for his solo. Cyborg was okay too, but boring. I was a big fan of Affleck being cast as Batman and i was on his side from the beginning and maybe i still am, because the issue might be with the writing and dialogue he has to work with. This Batman just sucks, and i don't think you can put that on Ben. He's not a smart and bad ass Batman, he's just a rich a dude. It's like he's still written as Bruce Wayne even when he's Batman. Basically a James Bond type of character in and out of the suit.

My issue is why go with relatively unknown or not so famous actors like Cavil, Gadot, Mamoa, Ezra, and Cyborg, Manganiello but then go A-List with Ben Affleck? They should have just gone unknown for Batman too to keep him under the cowl as much as possible until we get to see the real Bruce Wayne in his solo movie and the reason why he's such a stubborn *******. Instead he's now DC's counter to Tony Stark. Tony Stark is a nobody character compared to the ****ing BATMAN and DC/WB managed to bring him down to that level.

Fleshing out the side characters with great actors like Jermey Irons, JK Simmons, Amy Adams, Chris Pine, Robin Wright, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russel Crowe, Kevin Costner, Fishbourne, Jeffery Dean Morgan was a brilliant move. You can't compete with Marvels A-List casting, but DC did a tremendous job with legit supporting actors. But if you go that route, you need to nail the major characters and Batman is the biggest character and Lex is a huge character and both are horrible in different ways.

Casting Eisenberg as Lex Luthor was the single worst casting in the DC cinematic universe. Completely ruined BvS by HIMSELF. Seeing him in the after credits scene made me cringe knowing there's more of him to come and they can't re cast him. Totally thought they'd at least tone down his lame ass wannabe Joker version of Lex, but he's still the same in the after credit scene. Isn't he embarrassed? He must know how bad he was/is.

In the end, i can't think of anyone in the Marvel movies that they got wrong and i wish i could imagine someone else playing the role. They even survived losing Edward Norton and recasting a previous superhero actor in Chris Evans. With DC, i could easily try and imagine other actors getting a chance to Be Batman, Flash, Lex, and even WW and Cyborg and Aquaman. Cavil is the only one who is THE Superman in my opinion.

donkeypunch likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Question for y'all more versed in the comics: is Batman ever that great a fit for big ensemble battle type pieces? I even felt that way when watching the (beloved, by me) Superfriends cartoon of my youth. Batman was like an organizer but he just doesn't really have superpowers for a battle royale.

I mean... not like Apache Chief anyway.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I dont know if Im more vested or savvy but he is the only 'ordinary' human among all of them, so to answer your question, no. He doesnt have a superpower but he is the most cerebral(his ture power) out of all of them and makes s#it happen without being totally involved. With any great craftsman, he must have all the tools and foremost must know how to wield them.

fba34 likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Snyder is not directing any more DCEU movies. JL will be fine.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think it hurts that they have had better success with their characters on TV
    The Flash on TV is much EXTRA ORDINARY-ly better than Ezra (Better than Ezra . . .get it! LOL .. )
    TV Lex Luthor was very much better than almost any Movie version
    Plus their animation movies are leaps and bounds better than their live action
    to an extent I think all that works against them
    Those are what sets the Expectations . . . moreso than any Marvel Movie

Rocket River

SF3isBack!! and Caesar like this.
  6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The level of DC neg repping is nearly as bad as some of the Marvel gushing......geez people. I've always been more of DC guy and can't wait to see it, have tickets for tonight and tomorrow since I know I'll want to give it a second viewing.

People I know and trust have seen it plus a steady flow of review on this thread have given it fairly positive reactions regardless of it's issues..

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I plan to see it
    but I hope it is better than something you see on the SyFy channel
    There is good stuff there too but not excellent stufff

Rocket River

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah I personally think it'll be much better than that fair but like i mentioned, I'm a bit biased since I've been a fan of the characters for a while.

Most fan reviews have pointed to the CGI and story being an issue but most seem to agree it's still a lot of fun.....

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

As someone who enjoyedd BvS and Suicide Squad despite their shortcomings, I absolutely hated whatever it is this was. Everyone involved should feel embarrassed. Looked like they filmed it in about 3 days.

SF3isBack!!, fba34 and Caesar like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

What if its all warranted? Not having read through all the posts but DC just cant seem to get right after Dark Knight.

SF3isBack!! and fba34 like this.
  11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

DC could make the shawshank redemption and get a 60 on rotten tomatoes. I'm not saying some of the negative reviews aren't warranted but good god, the level of hate is crazy. I loved mos, really liked extended edition of bvs, suicide squad was hot trash, ww was amazing. This movie was really good for what it is. Not as good as WW but the plot was simple. A new God trying to turn earth I to apokolips, humans into a parademon army and amazonians into female furies or more simply, take over earth. Critics saying they weren't able to follow the plot? Come on man lol someone wants to take over earth, superman is dead so they form a team. It aint rocket science. It was funny and i think they did the characters justice. Also Gal is still so hot.

mrm32 likes this.
  12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Rumor going around that if Affleck hangs up the cowl Matt Reeves wants Jake Gyllenhal as the next Batman.

Gyllenhal was also on Nolan's shortlist of actors to play Batman when casting began for Begins. This is a name I could really get behind. He's much younger, better acting chops and I'm assuming he'd be in it for the long haul.

13. trigun333

trigun333 Member

I saw this last night and wanted to sleep on it before posting my thoughts on it.

Honestly, I don't quite understand all the hate it's getting from the critics. I really enjoyed this movie and seeing all characters together on the big screen is something I never thought I would see. I do agree on how Steppenwolf was not a great villain and really no screen time is devoted to fleshing him out. All you know is he wants the mother boxes to destroy the world and all in the name of Darkseid, queue gotta get a team together. This didn't bother me as much as a lot of other people. I'm not here to see Steppenwolf, I'm here for the Justice League. I had fun watching this and enjoyed the action pieces. Every character got their moment in my opinion, even with the short film time. The effects needed some polishing and that's where it did lose points for me. If the movie would of gone longer they could have expanded on fleshing out each character more, but guess it was a business decision to keep it short. This movie is definitely for the fans and provide a ton of fan service. Definitely enjoyed the opening scene and geeking out over it. I have a good shot in guessing which shots were done by Josh Whedon. I didn't feel pacing issues that I read about in other reviews. Maybe I was more ready for it since it had Josh Whedon and Zack Snyder involved. Movie has one mid credit scene and one after credit scene. I give it a 7/10.

Extra review. Went to see it with my wife and shes a casual super hero fan. She really enjoyed it and only real complain was that they didn't give enough time to Steppenwolf to really set him up properly. She got a little too into Aquaman o_O. She just told me that they give plenty of variety for the women. Guess I can't complain with Gal Gadot. She gave it a 7.5/10....I'm guessing that extra .5 is cause of Aquaman :p.

Batman Jones likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dude is a bit over the top about Jake but some decent points

Rocket River

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Jake Gyllenhal is 5’11’. Too short for Batman

16. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Am a DC guy, but it's hard for me to be interested in BvS and now JL. Even the 2nd half of WW. I actually paid to watch more DC CBM in the movie theaters than Marvel's (capt America, Thor 2, antman). I'm bored of the marvel formula but at least they try to make good movies with that formula, not just hoping for fans to just be thankful their heros are being put together in a movie for the first time in their lives. With DC's, they can't agree on the formula and then they slack with cgi and dialogue. And the storyline.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

To be fair. . . . Shawshank Redemption was not well received in the theaters. . . .
    only became a classic on TV

Rocket River

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Haven't seen the movie yet but have been binging on DC comics content on Youtube and comic scan sites. The Dark Knights Metal series as well as Rebirth has been pretty good IMO. The latest DKM release involving the Batman who laughs was especially good and dark compared to the more lighthearted nature of a lot of Marvel and DC cinematic releases.

Will probably watch JL Wednesday or Thursday. I'm actually not discouraged by the reviews for this movie. WW was enjoyable and gave me some hope that DC movies can and will improve in quality.

Batman Jones and fba34 like this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It was very well received by critics, audiences missed out.

DC is just lazy. It wasn't "bad" per se, but this is the f**king Justice League. If this were in the MCU it would be down there with the first 2 Thor movies as being the among weakest. It was better than it's score, but not good. I would say around 65-75% would be a better figure.

The order in which they have released their movies make no damn sense. If they released proper solo movies to build things up, these movies might not seem so haphazardly put together.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member