1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How thankful are you now that the Melo trade didn't happen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Loneyroy7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

Are we really gonna act like Ryno hasn't looked much better on defense and on the glass this year - on top of his solid 3 pot marksmanship (38 percent from distance)?

He is a better fit for Harden, CP, and this offense in general. Certainly better then an iso chucker who's capable of leading a team in shot attempts when he's clearly their 3rd best player.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

I think almost everyone has noted Ryno’s improvement this year. I’m happy he’s off to a good start because he’s untradable no matter how well he realistically plays and we need more out of a 20M player than open 3pt shots.

Can he keep this up in the post season and find a way to score at home? I sure hope so.

3. Sino rocketfan

If we only trade Melo for Ryno, that's definitely a good deal. And Melo is literally the player who can help us beat GSW.
    But Knicks didn't want Ryno and asked for Ariza& Gordon, which might cost us too much.
    And Thunders doesn't seem to have that kind of chemical reaction to get PG13, Westbrook and Melo involved. Actually we can do better. That's why Melo always chose Rockets as his first choise in summer. I say it's a real bargain, but Knicks was too greedy....So what a pity !For both Rockets and Melo....
    Now we only hope that Ryno's 3pts would always work.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol telling me to pay attention then not reading anything I said, thats so typical of the Ryan Anderson fanclub. And insulting me and saying I suck because I took the name of Anderson in vain? Gimme a break.

By "Everybody" you mean Daryl Morey who tried to dump him asap, the Knicks who preferred freaking Kanter over him and basically the entire NBA landscape who wouldn't touch Anderson even when Morey included Ariza and Bev as sweeteners. Are you a special snowflake? Do you think you are smarter than the entire NBA universe? Yeah Anderson just isn't as bad as everybody says...thats why Morey tried to dump him when the Rox were breaking scoring records and on their way to a 3rd best record in the NBA.

What Bullshit am I saying? 28% from 3 during the playoffs isn't bullshit. Ridiculous home and away splits isn't bullshit. 20M for 13 pts or more than 1M per pt isn't bullshit. The only one breaking the bullshit meter is you, who go to all the lengths possible to make your idol Anderson look good. You know what? Let's just forget this.

Let's talk about this in the playoffs, when your lord and savior Anderson will shoot in the 20's again and you will blame Harden, MDA, Morey, Cp3 and everybody else for the loss. Shooting 40% in the regular season and then shooting 28% in the playoffs but wait, Anderson isn't bad as everyone says, he's just overpaid. SMH

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wouldve bought Melo a hoodie if he came here.

All Moely gives away is ipads with spreadsheets in them.

6. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Mm, kind of disagree a bit. The way our offense runs is faster pace, gigantic floor spacing, constant pick n rolls with two of the best pick n roll players in the league, and the whole 3 pters/layups priority. OKC doesn't have the floor spacing like us, and though Westbrook is similar to harden in playmaking ability, paul george is not anywhere on cp3's playmaking level. Melo would be getting more open 3s, less constant iso's, and having way more advantages when bigs try to close out on him. He would have very likely made us better & harder to guard.

HOWEVER, as some have noted, shouts out to Ryno for his play thus far this season. The one thing he gives us that melo does not is EXTENDED floor spacing. Of course melo is a better overall shooter, but he's spotting up right at the 3pt line. Ryno is spotting up 2-3 ft beyond that and hitting at a decent clip. I also don't know that Melo is any better than Ryno in terms of defense. They both seem generally poor, but with the nod maybe even going to Ryno for sheer effort.

All in all, I still would have liked to see melo be here. He's one of the best streaky shooters in the league. He just needs to hit 1-2 shots and he can get in a groove that SEALS games against good defense. But if he doesn't get in those grooves, and he's trying to iso all the time to catch his groove, you'll see more confusing 3/17 games from him and overall more likelihood to lose the game. I don't see that happening nearly as much with how the Rockets play. We have way too many shooters and versatile wings to make him iso'ing our primary option. And from what I've seen, even with OKC, when Melo is just playing within the offense and receiving passes from Westbrook, he looks freakin efficient, doin what he does best. Their big 3 isn't as ideal as ours couldve been imo, as I've observed Paul George and Melo overlapping roles as the spot-up/dynamic wing to go along with Westbrook.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  7. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Mello would work beautifully in this system. The warriors went out and got extra shooters Nick young and casspi because of mello to houston.
    D

8. basketballholic

It's early but......

Through 4 home games Anderson's offensive efficiency is worse than last season home splits. Just terrible shooting. And a very obvious unwillingness to let it fly at home. Has improved defensively and on the glass. I'd really be tempted to bring him off the bench and limit his minutes severely at home. Something just isn't right there and we apparently haven't figured out how to adjust the color or whatever to make it work for him. Need to trade him to the Warriors.

9. curbur

curbur Member

Man I would love me some PG if things keep looking this way. A big 3 of Harden, CP3 + PG while retaining most of our team now would be so lethal.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

IMO- the thing that made sense and was appealing about the potential Carmelo trade was with his no trade clause, there was a chance we would be able to get him for Ryno and maybe like a second round pick or young player like Qi or something.

If that was the case, getting Carmelo as an upgrade for Anderson without losing any other significant pieces would have been amazing.

But once it started to become clear that the only way we would be able to get Melo would be to include Gordon or Capela along with Anderson, that was an easy trade to pass

Nook and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Warriors are down

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

Not thankful, Melo would help us win a title in a league where the contenders have stacked rosters. I'm enjoying that OKC has started slow but it's still way too early to say anything. They have fairly even usage rates between the 3. It will come together.

Also, we would have used Melo differently. It would have worked.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

differently how. hes not exactly versatile. hed have the same exact role as a stretch 4 playing off harden and paul. hed just put up a ton more shots which can also be a bad thing bc he takes alot of terrible shots

and its not too early. the problems will be the same unless they upgrade their guys behind them. okc is top heavy. if their top 3 arent all having a good game then the chances of winning aren't high bc they dont have a bench that can be relied upon on a nightly basis

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Vegas baby its rigged lol and he obviously reads cf

15. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

QUOTE="Victorious, post: 11421024, member: 48374"]Not thankful, Melo would help us win a title in a league where the contenders have stacked rosters. I'm enjoying that OKC has started slow but it's still way too early to say anything. They have fairly even usage rates between the 3. It will come together.

Also, we would have used Melo differently. It would have worked.[/QUOTE]

Cant get over it cant you?
    Move on

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm not convinced the Melo topic and speculation (as obnoxious as it was) is completely put to bed yet.

I have a gut feeling things are going to implode in OKC. I understand their losses have been close and their wins have been blowouts (against the NBA's doormat teams), but I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing. I also haven't seen anything to make me believe PG13 stays there beyond this season. A mid-season trade to the Lakers feels inevitable, IMO. From that point forward, I could see Melo becoming cranky and trying to force his way out like he's done with every single team he's ever been on.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bold statement. I think OKC tries to go for a championship with their rentals. I think THEY think they're the #1-#2 team in the West (depending on how delusional they are).

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Things are gonna get interesting AF at the trade deadline.

19. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Melo would have been great for the postseason. Our problem last playoffs was they ran us off the 3 pt line and shut us down. Our halfcourt offense stalled. We needed another iso player to get us buckets when Harden is gassed. The thing with Melo is he can spot up for threes or do ISO. If Ryno doesn't hit his 3s in the playoffs he is almost useless. He averaged 9 pts in the playoffs. Not going to cut it. I wouldn't have traded Gordon and Ariza for Melo. Too bad the Knicks got wise and fired Phil before he could gift us with Melo.

amaru and baller4life315 like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.

I think that OKC is going to go on a run, BUT if they are .500% and Paul is chirping about leaving, it is going to be interesting.

I also think that there are a number of other teams that may decide to make some pretty good players available and just reboot.

There is no question that the Rockets will yet again attempt to move some pieces for better pieces.

Shaping up to be a big deadline in the NBA.

hakeem94, Deuce and baller4life315 like this.