1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A "must read": The DaVinci Code

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dallas Rocket, Dec 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Just finished the best book I've read in forever: The DaVinci Code. It's a novel whose foundation has to do with an ancient secret society, of which Leonardo DaVinci was a member. The secrets they protected for centuries are absolutely spellbinding, and are woven into a wonderful story with twists and turns that will leave you dizzy!

If you like a great read - do yourself a favor and read this book. It's hard to put down.

D R

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ancient Secret Society?!?!?!?

There is already an Ancient Secret Society on the BBS, in fact I outrank Clutch there.

[​IMG]

3. Dallas Rocket

That's exactly what they must have looked like performing those PAGAN rituals!

Maybe it was the BBS after all:D

Seriously though, GREAT BOOK.

D R

4. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

If you like book about secret societies, try Focaults Pendulum by Umberto Eco. He's the guy who wrote the Name of the Rose. It's a good read but it is significantly more "high brow" than, say, Michael Crichton or Tom Clancy for example.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Isn't there a movie about the Davinci code?

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I tried that online DaVinci's code thing that promoted the book. After doing that, I was excited about the book, but I heard some bad reviews about it. Is it really worth reading? And is it complete fiction or is there some kernel of truth behind it?

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just don't believe too much of it and you are allright.

8. Dallas Rocket

tierre_brown,

It's a great book that grabs you from the getgo. You won't be disappointed.

Regarding how much is true, I think it's Oliver Stonish. Just enough truth and history to suck you in.

D R

9. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Really fun book. Not much literary value (think Crichton does religion), but the material and pacing are spot-on. It's also a blast to discuss with your theologian friends. :p

I hear "Angels and Demons" is pretty good, too.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't mock me. i know where you live. ok, i don't know where you live.

11. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

LOL

Seriously, we talked about this book for weeks. So much, in fact, that I prefer not to discuss this book now.

HORSE: I'm dead. Quit beating me.
    GV76: But we still haven't fully examined historical papal connections to current Peruvian agriculture, and ---
    HORSE: (dies)

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I read the book on the fligth back from the UK last week. It is a great read.

If you liked that one, there is another book that is just as gripping and intriguing.

The Eight by Katherine Neville....

DD

13. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I remember PAGAN from the Dragnet movie

People
    Against
    Goodness
    And
    Normalcy

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The book is full of very poorly considered errors.

Here are a few pointed fallacies :

Pagan culture of biblical time was matriarchical.
    Constantine intentionally altered Christianity to remove kindness and generosity, and removed authority of feminine figures to represent the same.
    Constantine collated the Bible.
    Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene.
    There was a secret branch of knowledge that passed to the Knights Templar that gave them magic powers.
    The freemasons control the world.

Typical conspiracy theory nutjobbing. People come up with all kinds of stupid conspiracies to blame for all their problems. Do you have any idea how hard it is to really execute a conspiracy? Typically, someone blabs, and everyone goes in the tank. Or the conspirators squabble. Or they need everyone do their part toghether. Sure. For a really conspiracy story, read Sallust.

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

angels and demons is a good book also. but its scary how much alike it is to da vinci code. its not like dan brown "almost" coppied angels and demons its, its the same book. although i like da vinci code better.

i read a lot my self and im wondering what is the longest run for a book to be a best seller because da vinci code has been there going on a year pretty soon.

also they are going to make a movie, the director is suppost to be the guy that did beatiful mind.

16. hkomives

hkomives Member

I will get to read this book. I read several other books recently that was quite catching, Rain Fall, Studio Sex, Sin City, Red Rabbit, Southern Cross, Night Spider. What do you think???

17. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I just bought the eBook. I bought an iPaq off of a coworker and it is awesome. Its a 3870 and i bought the Mobile 2003 upgrade. I will be able to read it anywhere I go. I am such a nerd.

18. Major

Major Member

I tried that online DaVinci's code thing that promoted the book. After doing that, I was excited about the book, but I heard some bad reviews about it. Is it really worth reading? And is it complete fiction or is there some kernel of truth behind it?

It's probably the more interesting book I've ever read. It mixes art, science, math, religion, and history with a fictional storyline that is pretty unique. Like some of the others posted, I've talked about it with various religious friends of mine and they all loved it as well.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think if someone gives this book a bad review they would seem to be almost impossible to please. only thing i can think of is there very christian and just cant stand something that pokes fun of there beliefs, or they just cant admitt to likeing something that is mainstream.

20. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I've been *listening* to books on tape on some extended drives this year, and this is on my list. I have already been pleasantly surprised by Memoirs of a Geisha, The Secret Life of Bees, a bunch of Robert Parker stories ( read by Joe Mantegna ), Angela's Ashes, and several others I would never have thought were of any interest to me.