1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ignoring midrange will kill us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 11, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I rest my case.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No need to be a dick. Last night we were cold from beyond the arc. Harden kept driving and getting denied at the rim. Our 3 pointer wasn't falling. I just want him to use everything in his arsenal.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're right, that was dickish sorry.

But I don't care about Harden using everything in his arsenal, I only care about getting the best shot. A 3pter by any other starter on the floor not named Capela is a better shot than a Harden midrange J (which incidentally is the worst part of his game).

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Uhm no it’s not, Harden has gone away from it but his midrange is deadly...and you don’t care about the best shot because when guys are open for the 2 then that’s sometimes the best shot. Other times it’s not. Simple and obvious!

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes it is. His pps on midrange is lower than anywhere else. His mid range is not deadly. It's pretty good. He is no Durant or Paul, not close.

I do care about the best shot. The mid range is scientifically, factually not a good shot. A Ryan Anderson 3pter from 27 feet is a better shot than a Harden mid range.

Also, much of this is made up. Harden was not wide open in mid range. They just gave him some breathing room for a second before close out. When in midrange, close outs take less than a second. Not the same as being open at the 3.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Semantics, Harden could take a lot of shots from there and it would make us a better team.

Scientifically? Lol that’s just asinine. I don’t care about some data that says in general PPS is better from 3 than from 2. It says very little about context and common sense + empirical evidence shows that shooting from mid-range, thus not ignoring it, keeps defense on their toes and many more positives..

I never talked about a specific game or shot so not sure what you are talking about here. When you miss so many threes, any midrange shot is probably better especially when you’re Harden. He can hit even with a defender on him..

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Do you think a FT is a hard shot?

If not, why the **** would a shot taken at the same point, undefended...be a bad shot? Its like most of you have never even played competitive basketball.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nope, this is anecdotal. There are no teams overachieving vs their talent offensively because they take mid range jumpers.

If you miss 3's, it doesn't mean the next one is not going in.

You might not care what the data shows, that doesn't make it any less true.

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If you think a midrange jumper from the FT line is the same as a free throw shot, then it's pretty clear you're the one who does not understand competitive basketball.

Regardless, the numbers show it is not a good shot, and the entire NBA has moved in that direction. We are the pioneers as usual, so there are always risks when we push the boundaries and there are rough spots, but in general up until this season we have shown that moving away from mid range makes a team with Ryno and EGo as 2nd and 3rd scorers can achieve a top 10 offense in the history of the NBA. It would require IMMENSE evidence to turn us away from that trend.

Also if you are wide open at the FT line and no one is closing out on you and everyone else is covered - then by all means go for it. But fans are completely making up the fact that this happens in any significant frequency.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If I am completely undefended at the FT line for a split second with the ball I can hit that shot at a very high clip. MOST NBA players can hit that at a high clip. Again, you're being ****ing dense.

There is a reason why championship teams take more midrange shots than us, and it's not because HOF coaches and players forgot to listen to Mathloom.

12. dmoneybangbang

Inside the paint and 3s should be our bread and butter but we need a few sides.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No, it's pretty clear you're being dense. Shall we change out offense because lospolloshermanos thinks his little anecdote is true?

GS takes mid range shots because they have elite 3pt shooters. We do not. We have Paul now, and he'll take mid range shots. I'm going to go with Morey and MDA who coached Harden/Ryno/EG into the 10th best offense in history over Steve Kerr who took Durant/Curry/Thompson to the best offense in history.

The reason they're champions and we're not, btw, is because of defense. You are leaving this out and calling me dense, how silly.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Having a gameplan is great....
    obviously you want to try and focus on doing whatever is most beneficial... whether that's 3's or PNR or whatever....
    but the defense is going to make adjustments to try to make that option less effective...
    If you got the talent to cram it down their throats regardless - more power to ya!
    but if you're not the GSW... you better have a plan B....

everybody wants to have 'their gameplan' or 'their system... ' ... so they can be viewed as a guru or whatever - lol....

it's about taking what the defense gives you... about exploiting weaknesses....

if you've decided what you're gonna do and not waver - without adjusting to the game as it plays out... that's just silly.... lol

Take the low lying fruit!

brewer's goat likes this.
  15. OTMax

OTMax Member

@Mathloom are you seriously gonna tell all these players throughout history since the introduction of the 3pt line that all those shots they took from mid-to-long range were not effective / the worst shots just because some data says it’s worse than a close range and 3pt shot (on average, PPS or whatever)?

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

@kjayp exactly, but I guess people rather stick with their vision, hoping it will eventually pay off to the point of stubbornness and pride kicking in, from which Morey and or MDA will not deviate from UNLESS they get a Lebron or another elite talent who’d make us contenders right away.

kjayp likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes, just like I tell people who believe the earth is flat that it's not flat even though that's what most people believed for most of human history.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

WOW alright, there’s no point in arguing with you if that’s how you see it.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Keep running the same play and offense with a few wrinkles, until they stop it. Then adjust. If you don’t have a counter, and that is essentially mid range, you will fail. Like we did last year. There is too little court to guard in this offense for it to be successful in the playoffs. Don’t need balance until balance is required, but it will be required.

The Astros essentially came to this conclusion on the entire HR strikeout issue. And look where they are.

It doesnt really matter though until the Warriors succumb to injury or the era ends. Or we match their firepower. So if they want to have some fun now, I’m ok with it, but when it becomes winning time again they better have prepared for it, practiced for it, and evolved to the point where they can adjust to a defense geared against it, and hit some midrange, which is only possible If you practice it.

brewer's goat likes this.
  20. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly. I haven’t seen much adjustment from MDA which was the same problem we had under McHale. It’s the same against every opponent and if you do not learn from your mistakes, you’re a fool. So far we’ve learned nothing from last year!