1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Stranger Things

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Jun 9, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it's still very much the same evil dimension. Should come up with something brand new.

I still dig it. I was waiting for a GOT wight dragon.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

one mans knock off is another mans homage.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The show is all about 80's nostalgia. Its intent is not to be unique, but quite the opposite. It borrows from everything during these years and creates a 80's medley. The adventure of the four kids is taken from Stand By Me. You have the Goonies. They specifically pulled in Sean Astin to add to the Goonies/80's nostalgia. You have the host symbiotic from ET. The demogorgons resemble Aliens. The final scene with the dance, they are playing Every Breath You Take and cut out to the antagonist hovering over the school.

The show is put together so well because like GOT, they already have a story and know how its going to end. They have no intention on dragging this out for revenue purposes.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should have involve that arcade game Dragon's Lair more.

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was ok. Had pacing problems during elevens journey. Dont know why we had to show the breakfast club gang. Red haired girl doesn't have the same acting chops as the other kids in the av club. Rudy was great.

I give it 8 demi-dogs out of 10

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It passed the binge test. Watched all the way through without even thinking about stopping.

Really good yet again. Can't put my finger on any one thing the show does particularly well, but it continued to be extremely compelling TV.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are going to strike up a gang of supernatural kids to counter even deadlier demons. A theory.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The wife and I enjoyed it very much. I thought they did a great second season. I still enjoyed season one more, but they did a great job staying true to the characters. I agree that it would've been more impressive if they incorporated more 80s references/homages.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm still on episode 3. It has been wall to wall sports since Friday.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

El seems to be doing the super saiyan impressions a lot this season.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wonder when it's okay to not have the spoiler tag.

Thoughts:

Having '008' in the show was interesting, but I wish they would have introduced more of these Numbers in the show. 8 and 11 make me wonder if there's 1-7, 9, 10, and 12 onwards. 11's mom had the file on 8, but not on anyone else, so I'm kinda hoping for superpowered kids, but also, not really.

What makes me happy is that we haven't even seen what the Big Bad from the upside down can truly do. But it's a little hard to believe that the Hawkins kids, Hopper and 11 + anyone from the town, in its current state, can find a way to take out such a supernatural being. Unless the Duffer Bros come up with a really interesting twist, they might have no choice but to bring in more Numbers.

#PoorMews

Invisible Fan and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What I said, man. What I said.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not sure, you prolly would be disappointed. If it were to believed, they try to do less than more.

https://screenrant.com/stranger-things-season-2-better-season-1/2/

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I just feel like, if they go down that road, they lose the very essence of what makes the show. Instead of a story about adolescence and relationships in most of the facets of life, they're going to phone it in with superpowered people, turning ST into Legends of Tomorrow or another superhero show.

What they need to do, even though its difficult, is to delve into the mystery of the upside down more, and have the regular cast figure out a way to take on the monsters of the big bad.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or if they make the super teenagers less super and more vulnerable, like for using too much of their power they need to rest up to 1 or 2 days or so.

Limited use of their full powers.

Maybe the Great Upside Down cannot be exterminated entirely/it can be controlled though, they have to live with it, it lives among them.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

lisp kid got annoying quick. at the beginning of ep 3, i thought why don't they kill off that character? to why isn't he already dead?, by the end of the same episode.

17. Duncan McDonuts

I recognized a lot of those references. What I meant is integrating the lore more into the story like D&D did in season 1. They added bits and pieces of it like the party classes, whole sight, the Mind Flayer, dig dug, but it didn't feel as whole as it did in season 1. Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I completely agree. I was a little excited for 008, but after watching her tribute episode (Epi 7 I believe), I realized how quickly it would be a mistake. That episode stuck out like a sore thumb and felt like a complete different show. I hope they dont turn it into a super hero show.

I am curious how the Demigorgan from Season 1 could open and close portals. You would think they could re-open them and continue their destruction they started in season 2.

Rocket River likes this.
  19. likestohypeguy

Me too. In fact I've since lost steam here watching it, with a couple episodes left. I'm certain I'll finish it at some point, but nostalgia & the awesome music are only carrying me so far apparently.

I almost feel like this would have been much better off as a movie, the second season especially. Just doesn't seem like enough story to drag out into this many episodes.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Part of the charm to season one was how the boys applied their imagination from these cultural inspirations into their lives, which I think a lot of viewers identified with because we did that ourselves. The cultural references in season two felt a bit more shallow compared to season one.

Again, this is all nitpicky stuff. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, even with episode 7 being so out there. I'd still rate season two as a 9/10 whereas season one is 10/10.

Rocket River and daywalker02 like this.