1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Seahawks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, it's not bad....if an owner says "break a leg" to his players before a game, he's not ordering a hit on the other team or wishing them injury....you know that right?

All you are telling me is the reason why his inoffensive comments are being spun into something offensive but there's absolutely no validity to that spin.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t agree with you at all Bobby, respectively.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because some of them are playing politics and some of them are merely brain damaged morons.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough I guess, but why don't you agree with me at all? Why do you feel it is appropriate to spin a common idiom into some kind of offensive statement?

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So not only do you ignore the real issue at hand you also have no respect for players that put their brains and mental health on the line every Sunday? If someone is really mentally ill due to the game then that's really unfortunate and calling them morons is pretty F up.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Because it’s common to some doesn’t mean it’s common to everyone. For instance, if I’ve never heard it before, then who can fault me for being offended?! Know what I mean? And another thing, if I’m in a work place and I say something wrong, I’ll still be held accountable if I said something that was meant in another way. That’s what I see the players doing to Bob.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is legitimately no "real issue at hand" and no, I don't respect the mental prowess of football players.... especially knowing that nearly all of them suffer from brain damage that negatively impairs their judgement. When I hear about people with brain damage taking an idiom literally and as such taking offense, perhaps I pity them a bit, but I don't take their interpretation seriously and neither should anyone.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It should be common knowledge to anyone in this culture, meaning any American should be well versed in that idiom. That said, those who don't know it, shouldn't let their ignorance lead to offense.....and shouldn't continue pretending to be offended after they've been educated as to the idiom's meaning. In short, your ignorance doesn't make the statement offensive. We can go back to the "break a leg" idiom for example. If someone had never heard that before, maybe they are offended by someone saying that for a second and then hopefully when they are educated as to the meaning, they'll be embarrassed for a second and move on.

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We know Bob is a old caucasian man with certain prejudices and that's naturally logical to understand so i can see where he expressed this phrase from a business standpoint.

But i can't ignore the fact that he's careless when it comes to reality of the racism issues in America. What i'm saying is he needs to care and take into consideration how he says things and what may be implied by it depending on the situation at hand. I don't believe he's that stupid not to understand what he did until it happened considering the crowd he was around.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, you don't know that, you are just touting a racist stereotype.

Again, he did nothing wrong and you really can't spin it into being something wrong. Now sure, someone "got offended" either due to cynical reasons or due to gross ignorance, but that's not his fault.

11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely understand but it’s just not that easy for other people to understand the way you understand. That’s not ignorance.

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

McNair himself may do him some good to act impaired in his old age.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lack of knowledge is literally ignorance. I mean, that's literally the definition.

If you don't know the meaning of an idiom, you are ignorant as to the meaning....so yes, ignorance was the problem here.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's another issue too many people feel their knowledge and ways is the way and every other understanding is ridiculously stupid. Those people will never even attempt to understand the struggles or experiences of your culture and neither will they care. Either you adapt to their philosophy or your a idiot lol. That's a huge issue too.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Knowing what an idiom means isn't anyone's "knowledge" it's just knowledge. If you are ignorant to that, then it's not your fault, but you should be a bit embarrassed if you acted like an ass due to your ignorance. Honestly, that's what should happen here. The players who were ignorant should be educated and they should feel a little bit embarrassed by their actions and everyone should move on. Simple as that.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You missed the point

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There wasn't one...and that's the point.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think anyone acted like an ass though. Players felt they were being discribed as inmates, felt disrespected. Two players called in, the others had a meeting about it.

Just realized we doing this in the wrong thread Bobby. This is about the game.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, fair enough. We shouldn't clutter up this thread with this stuff.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Racist sterotype is different from a fact. He is old. He is caucasian and he has prejudices because every single human does.

What he said was wrong. He should have just expressed himself without using any figure of speech. This meeting didn't need figure of speeches to begin with honestly.