1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it safe to say Jose Altuve will be the greatest Astro 2nd baseman of all time?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Time will tell.

A lot of it comes down to whether you want Altuve or Correa.

Right now the answer is Altuve, but a lot can change in two years.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It comes down to the owner.

If it is Jeff's decision I suspect they let Altuve play out his contract and see what the market gives him as a 30 year old.

I personally would see about getting another year added to Altuve's current deal at 35-40 million and spread it out over the next 3 years. That gives Altuve more money now but he still gets a shot at free agency; the Astros keep their window open another year and they get to spread out the sticker shock over the next three years.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think that'll be the choice BUT... Altuve will be 30, Correa 27 when their deals are up. That's a fairly easy choice, from a baseball perspective.

But now that we're past it, THIS is why the Astros are so careful with dealing prospects - they are going to have to make some really difficult decisions about this roster - decisions fans are going to HATE. Having a fertile pipeline is essential.

DuBose, RasaqBoi, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  4. conquistador#11

it could be a package deal. Who can forget after the boston series presser correa saying he wants to play with altuve for a long time and addressed mr. crane by name to sign him for 10 more years.https://www.mlb.com/video/correa-altuve-on-friendship/c-1860173483

Jose is 27 yrs old, with players like blackmon performing at age 31, you can sign altuve next offseason to a 5 year deal and see where it goes. there is no reason they can't afford both. Mccann will be retired after 2 world series, Verlander will live happily ever after in a farm somewhere with Kate before turning 37 avoiding pervs hacking their phones. Josh's 4yr/ 52 million contract will be up.

DuBose and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We can get both. It is important the get Altuve on board. The rest of the guys will follow. Bregman and Correa look at Altuve as big brother.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think 5 years gets it done. Maybe if you offer to rip up his current deal and give him 5/125 maybe he would do it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Jake Stewart

Jake Stewart Member

If Altuve keeps playing like this I see no reason why he wouldn't get a 10 yr/ 280-300 million dollar deal from some team!

This guy if he keeps it up will be one of the best players ever......he's even one pace to pass Pete Rose.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You are correct. Robinson Cano got a 10 year 240 million dollar deal at age 31. When Altuve becomes a free agent that Cano deal will be 6 years old. Altuve will be 2 years younger than Cano as a free agent and will get close to 30 million per season.

9. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Ummm, no. You must be referring to Correa’s error in top of 8th in game 4 of 2015 ALDS against Royals.

10. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Jeff Luhnow was not the GM in St. Louis.

11. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Sorry, I piggybacked on your comment. I didn't see it. :)

eric.81 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Guy on SC talking with Eduardo Perez about the series, intros with Altuve v. Kershaw, talks about "Altuve's hot bat"...then says "however, he's *only* 6-15 with 4 XBH versus Kershaw." Had to rewind it to make sure that's what he said.

macho GRANDE and snowconeman22 like this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

The first guy to get on board is Keuchel as these guys realize you aren't winning jack S&%T without top of the line pitching.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah, but all the XBHs are doubles, so Altuve sucks against him.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If he wins a championship here I honestly don't care...

Well, I do care. It would hurt, but he would always be respected and admired for that championship.

To me, the ring comes first. If you have a ring that puts you above any kind of stats. This is why Hakeem will always be a better rocket than Harden unless Harden brings 3 championships to the Rockets.

Harden could average 40ppg, win multiple MVPs and it means nothing next to 2 championships IMO.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Hakeem will always be better than Harden because is Hakeem is a better basketball player than Harden. Nothing to do with Championship or rings or awards. If Harden wins 3 championships it will be all about who else we got. Hakeem won by himself and is probably the best two way player of all time.

Richie_Rich, macho GRANDE and eric.81 like this.
  17. bobrek

The Finals? What sport are you referring to? Also, it was Correa. Also, Altuve was a driving force that enabled them to make the "quarter finals".

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  18. bobrek

Am I just now noticing it even after watching the vast majority of their regular season games? What's the deal with Altuve sticking out his tongue so much during his at bats?

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

@Os Trigonum

#Media Conspiracy

Killatron 2000 and Os Trigonum like this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He chews gum, and usually blows a bubble after his swings.

You may also notice he twists left - as if he's stretching - before each pitch.