1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tracker] Mid-to-long range 2s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Oct 18, 2017.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

In our first game based on the short chart we hit 5 out of 12 shots. Not a lot but in the pre-season we had games with 0 makes and even 0 attempts.

The Warriors shot 11 out of 18. This simple stat shows how Warriors have a more varied offense even though it seems they kill teams from three.

We took the W and I think it will be interesting to track and see if there’s a correlation to some extent. Mock it all you want, the reason why Warriors are so tough is how they get their shots and how they kill you from all over the floor.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

The reason why the Warriors are so tough is because they have KD, Curry, Klay, and Draymond in their starting lineup.

We will never take a lot of midrange shots so I don't know why you're so fixated on this. It's not gonna happen. Harden and CP3 should take a few in order to switch things up from time to time and not be solely reliant on the 3 ball. Gordon can take some if he wants to as well. Nene will pop one from the elbow on occasion. Everyone else should and will stick to only threes and layups.

#2 Reeko, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    D-rock, Drogba, TheRealAllpro and 2 others like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This will haunt us the whole Season.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who took these 12 shots? Maybe they will end up benched like cp3.

I Kid

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

They mixed it up today and won, it's a good sign. I don't understand why people are so insistent on saying it's fine if we only focus on threes and lay-ups. I'm not saying take a minimum amount of shots, but I sincerely think there will be games where we miss our threes and keep taking them and lose, which will show in the amount of 2s we took aside from lay-ups.

#5 OTMax, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    cheke64 and FanSince93 like this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Breh you are obsessed with 2 point jumpshots.

How many threads you gonna make on it?

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

You need to change your moniker to OTMaxOut2PointShotsNOW!!!!!

D-rock and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah not looking forward to people whining about "not enough long twos!!"

D-rock and DallasThomas like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

like I said, CP3 will take a few midrange jumpers and Harden should utilize his midrange game more and substitute out some of those forced threes off the dribble...Nene will take a midranger on occasion, and Gordon can take some if he wants, but he's clearly better at driving all the way to the rim or sniping from 3

anyone else on this roster taking a midrange jumper is basically an automatic bad possession

the only players on this roster that should deviate from the layups and threes philosophy are Harden and CP3

D-rock and BigMaloe like this.
  10. PatBev

PatBev Member

Gordon starts driving in to the basket and we beat GS. GS probably didn't know Eric could dribble the ball he camps out on the 3pt line so hard

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This bad idea has huanted us for years.

Rockets post all-time great offensive season by limiting their midrange atttempts? - the answer is MOAR MIDRANGE

Rockets erase huge deficit, steal opening night victory on party night by putting up 122 against the best team in the league and arguably the greatest team in history? The answer is MOAR MIDRANGE

There is nothing that MOAR MIDRANGE is not the answer to for the midrange moaron brigade

D-rock, Drogba, larsv8 and 3 others like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what are you tracking for? according to you we have no chance of beating GS in a game. what was the final score last night @OTMax

Drogba and BigMaloe like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

amaru and BigMaloe like this.
  14. Daddy Long Legs

Also said “its funny to me so I couldnt care less” when people asked for an apology.

Are we okay with this? Am i the only one who doesnt act like that never happened?

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

We won because we won the turnover/possession battle.

That's absolutely it.

They murdered us in all efficiency categories. We won the rebounding battle, the steals battle and the turnovers battle.

Had nothing to do with 2s, at all.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're stating that it is the case, but where's the proof that it matters independent of the fact that they have elite mid range shooters and a historically elite offensive roster?

The truth is, there is none. There is no correlation league-wide between shot making from mid range and scoring relative to talent. Warriors are the exception not the rule - they are making shots from mid range because they happen to have a team that can occasionally make that shot at an acceptable efficiency.

Teams who shot fewer mid range shots did better offensively most of the time, and if you point me to the link you used to get your stats I can find that for you at the same link.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I didn't know about this

f*ck this dude, honestly...what a clown

BigMaloe and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  18. carib

carib Member

Agreed.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Nice, way to be civil. Just can’t start a decent discussion thread with real insight without 75% sarcasm, ego boosting, name calling and mockery. Great stuff.

20. hakeemthagreat

Chris Paul needs to take 90% of his shots from midrange. It'll open the offense up and make us even more deadly offensively