1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2.2% of all their points were scored off mid-range jumpers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Oct 15, 2017.

1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

The triangle is a lot of what it's in the Warriors offense, only difference is the quick pass out from the post. The triangle is basically 3pt measures rotating as the the ball goes from one elbow area to the other isolating a top offensive player. Ball moves from side to side depending on how D reacts to star player with ball in post is what LA and Chicago did. The Warriors version is once the ball goes in, the backdoor screening, flares, fake screens, pick and pops all come out. Problem is they have 2 players(off ball) that are the best shooters in the league flaring, another guy whose not looking for the ball setting screens(the C or Dray when Bogut was there), and a 3rd player that you usually can't leave open for 3 but also sneaking around(Iguodala, Durant, and previously Barnes). The one passing out is Dray now(previously Bogut).

As soon as the ball goes, watch how the offense moves.

SIL

kjayp likes this.
  2. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

And I guarantee you Mr. D'Antoni has some ****ing incredible other quick hitting sets(like not actual plays, but just quick triggers) that he could implement, but is unable to here due to personnel and extreme belief.

D'Antoni is a genius with offensive plays, second to none.

SIL

cheke64 likes this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why so many midrange jumpers?

Fess up guys, who is taking bad shots?

4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I hope CF is prepared for a blowout in the season opener because it might happen.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is irrelevant.

We must take more midrange shots. This will improve our offensive rating. Clutchfans has spoken.

THE NUMBERS ARE CLEAR I'VE SEEN ENOUGH

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not an analytics guy... i actually like breaking down stats but a) I usually dont know where to find the best data and B) crunching it is too much like work - lol

Obviously the efficiency of the 3 ball is gonna vary greatly depending on the defense - contested, uncontested, defense within so many feet...

I have to believe a large part of the efficiency of the 3 ball hinges on the defender sagging back - because the defender doesnt want to risk the guy getting around him and giving him a wide open closer shot - if you give Chris Paul easy little 6 ft stop n pops before he gets to your rim protector - he's gonna kiil you on it......

As you stated, more and more of the league is trending to shooting more 3's....

As teams trend towards more 3s - defenses will adjust... and if they see they dont have to worry about giving up those uncontested mid range shots - they will learn to get out on the ball more - thereby resulting in a tougher and less efficient 3 pt shot....

maybe I'm off base... like i said I haven't crunched the numbers - I'm sure Morey has... but I gotta think at some point there's a point of diminishing return based on the the defense...

7. hakeemthagreat

I think the Rockets need 2 let Chris Paul be Chris Paul, and run the offense the way he wants too. His midrange shot would completely throw defenses off balance. I hope the Rockets dont continue letting Harden start games running the point. Lets CP3 set the tone, Harden will gets his either way

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I kinda thought part of the reason cp3 would fit so well is he would open up our offense with his mid range game.

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Why should we prepare if it only "might happen".

Kim Jong Un "might" nuke the Warriors practice facility tomorrow and they have to forfeit.

If you really bout it make a thread guaranteeing we get blown out or shut the bleep up.

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Thanks for announcing that you're just guessing without actually doing the research:)

Will be easier for us all moving forward:)

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is patently false.

The Triangle is dead. The Triangle died when illegal defense rules were eradicated. It's a completely different game than GSWs. And it is very easy to defend, when guys like Thibs and JVG don't have to abide by illegal defense rules, like it was easy to defend in college when Motion replaced it after Tex Winter's days. I don't know why you are even saying the Warriors throw the ball into a star player in the Post. I don't know what you mean by that.

Please don't "Tag me" anytime you see a play or whatever it is you were saying you were going to do in your previous post.

I'm not advocating against adding more of MDA's playbook this year, but I am going to say this one more time...if you think the triangle has any *any* thing to with GSW's offense, then you are just stuck in the 90's and only know the name of one other offense, I guess.

They aren't similar in any way, shape, or form.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

No its rhyno when he tried to imitate Dork. To the bench he goes

14. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Media conspiracy, they want to encourage us to keep chucking it from the three point line and getting bambozzled easily the gsw and they will have the last laugh.

15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Ok, sorry. Heydud knows more about the Warriors offense and where it's derived from than Captain Kerr. I never said throw it into a star, I said throw it in the post. It's on post or top of key, than immeadiate player movement.

From Captain Kerr

It's more than just triangle, he has a lot of pops motion offense in it too. But the least element is what our primary is...pick and roll.

Golden State obviously uses pick and rolls, too, but the club relies on them less than any team in basketball. Instead, the Warriors prefer to confuse their opponents by setting screens away from the ball, a strategy the Dubs used 400 times more in the regular season than the next-closest team.

These are facts. Kerr called his offense a triangle hybrid and you can see some very similar movement from it, as well as from Pops book. To tell me it's completely dead is stupid. You got a top coach telling you he's using a variation of it suitable to his personnel.

Again, heydud you're a number reader. Not a game watcher. I intend to tag @heypartner like I will @DonKnock when the game is going, so you can pay attention and not just refresh the box score. Save you the trouble bro, thank me later.

Piece of **** argument. Mother****ing coach just told ya straight up...HYBRID TRIANGLE. and heydud huffs and puffs he knows more and that it's dead. DEAD.

I thought it didn't have *any* anything to do with it bro. Simple search on Google would wipe your argument out, get lost dud.

Watch basketball, please.

SIL

cheke64 and brewer's goat like this.
  16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I hope so, too. That or Harden and Paul pick and roll, force the smaller man to switch onto Harden..then, let James cook the shrimp b**** in the post.

SIL

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

yeh I'm just thinking it through based of theoretical logic...

I havent done the research... so i'm just guessing that a contested 3 is less efficient than a wide open one... a pox upon me if i am mistaken - lol

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'd be interested to see the stats on wide open 15 footers , i.e. the shots the Spurs gave up to the rockets last year. I feel like you could justify shooting those shots based on their expected value.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the rockets are ****ing moronic, especially considering that teams continue to clog the paint and run them off hte line in the post season. During the RS, it doesn't show as much.

cheke64, SirIvyLeague and kjayp like this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, its common ****ing sense. People point to GS when its obvious their 3pt philosophy is very different on top of having 2 of the best 3pt shooters of all time.