1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jerry Jones: Cowboys will bench any player who 'disrespects' flag

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think this is what is otherwise known as "successfully appealing to your base." Doing this doesn't hurt him politically in the least.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But you missed the option to close out on both. It isn't a one or the other.

3. JaceMan da SpaceMan

4. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I agree with much of what you say, but differ in some respects.
    Firstly, I think it is quite different to be suspicious of someone based on certain criteria such as appearance (in this case skin color) but quite another thing to aggressively engage in a pro-active manner based on how they look.
    Secondly, as you correctly point out, the crime rate is higher among African Americans because of socio-economic reasons. But, based on the same reasoning, I don't think it would be OK to discriminate/differentiate against poor people (based solely on clothing appearance, for example) just because poor people might be more likely to commit street crime than the wealthy. Ideally, any police engagement with a suspect should be based on their actions, not on their appearance.
    It is up to the African American community to solve their own issues, and I would not presume to lecture them on how to sort those out. But the reality of crime in African American communities does not excuse the systemic discrimination they face when it comes to the police and criminal justice system. This is well documented by federal committee (bipartisan) reports. African Americans are much more likely to be arrested, face longer jail terms and be killed in police encounters.
    I don't think that pointing to black-on-black crime does away with the right of the African American community to get a fair shake in this regard, as they are entitled to do.
    Finally, I think this is a systemic issue, not a black versus white issue necessarily. Some of the police that have gunned down unarmed black suspects have been black themselves.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Showing respect and standing is showing respect and standing. The whole reason for the kneeling was to not stand and show respect for the flag and the country it represents. No one that matters is really going to care if you or anyone disagrees with the president so long as they aren't showing that disagreement by disrespecting the flag or the country it represents.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As as advertiser I can tell you that first of all, what he says isn't very helpful - advertisers would just wish no one said anything as they don't like any controversy that offends either liberals or conservatives as both groups are usually buying their products. Pissing off either group is bad for a brand and Jones shouldn't take sides if he is smart.

This whole mess was under control until a childish f'ing moron weighed in to this to get some brownie points with his base. Trump is dividing this country more and more and it's time people stop blaming owners or the players and realize that idiot in the white house is a traitor to us all.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The entire team should take a knee.

DD

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Let's not lie here ok? You might be mentally ill but that doesn't excuse you from outright lying. The kneeling is because a VETERAN suggested it as a way to show respect but still protest as well.

Kneeling is respect. Disrespect is sitting or turning one's back. Any idiot (expect you) knows that kneeling is always respectful. People kneel when they propose, when they are knighted, when they submit. Superman had to kneel after all. He wasn't showing disrespect.

These guys are not disrespecting a flag nor a country. They are protesting violence. Get that through your 'effing thick skull you moronic rube.

The entire team should kneel because of what he said. Time for them to stand-up and show they are grown men and that Jones maybe their employer, but he is not their daddy.

el gnomo and Hakeemtheking like this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Is calling someone mentally ill and a moron and all that allowed on here? Or can you get banned?

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No...

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Now that Goodell is demanding that all NFL players stand up during the national anthem rumor is that they may devote a week, the way the NFL does with cancer causes (“Crucial Catch”) or the military (“Salute to Service”)—to fund and partner with players to highlight and sponsor work on civil rights causes in NFL communities.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/11/n...al-anthem-protests-themmqb-peter-king-mailbag

So in the end the protest would have worked by causing more awareness regarding police brutality in a way that's much more productive than trying to piss people off. Question is will this satisfy the players who don't really care about police brutality and were more interested in pissing of military veterans, the president, and white people?

I predict that most players will now stand but choose to lock arms or do black power fists. Either way it's a win as they will no longer selfishly offend veterans who hold the flag as a symbol for what fight for. Liberals don't care about offending Christians or military veterans. Republicans don't care about offending minorities or Muslims. Both sides hypocrites. How about showing respect for others beliefs and what's important to them?

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

No it’s not ok? Or no you can’t get banned?

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the number of players whose primary concern is pissing off military veterans and white people would be 0 - 4.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Polls have shown it has increased his support. Meaning this drum will keep being beat.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we could work out a deal with the players, they get to kneel and be disrespectful to the flag and the country and we don't have to pretend that we care that they are getting dozens of concussions and destroying their health long term. We get to eliminate "targeting" "roughing the QB" and "defenseless receiver" type penalties and they get to keep doing what they are doing without the ability to whine about CTE. I think everyone wins.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Stating facts is not an offense for being banned. Get back to your safe space.

el gnomo likes this.
  17. Granville

Granville Member

That's why the public address announcer usually says... To honor America, please rise for our National Anthem. Anyone who says that kneeling at NFL games is not being done to disrespect America is disingenuous. They'd also be lying to say that before this ill-conceived protest started had they seen fans in the stands sitting or not removing their caps they would have thought those fans were disrespecting the country.

We're talking about millionaires who could chip in for or get a Network to sponsor an event where they could protest all they wanted to. If did anything to cause a stir at a customer facing event that upset a customer, I'd get fired. We're there to watch a football game not to witness a demonstration. The owner and the league have every right to have control over the customer experience.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Again if a bunch of NRA folks knelt to protest gun control during the flag/anthem no one would accused them of being disrespectful. The kneeling was done at the suggestion of a war veteran as a means to protest with respect.

It's you who are being disingenuous and intolerant by saying there is only a certain way someone can show respect symbolically. You do not define what respect is.

19. Granville

Granville Member

I certainly would feel that was disrespectful and not because I'm not a fan of the NRA. So what way is a kneeling NFL player showing respect to our country after being asked to rise to show respect to it?

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Keep the players in the lockerroom.

This is stupid.

Granville, Bobbythegreat and B-Bob like this.