1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Legend Josh Smith pursuing comeback

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 27, 2017.

1. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Career .285 3pt shooter. No thanks! We all know that's all he wants to do for some weird f@ cking reason. IF he could focus only on pick and roll then yes all day...

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's exactly how I would want to use him. As a special front-court weapon without steady minutes. He might be happy just to be back in the NBA. And if he isn't - not much loss to cut him again. Kind of a low risk, medium reward type scenario in my opinion.

People who are concerned about his 3 point shooting think that we're going to be playing him top-7 minutes. No way, on this roster.

But he is a guy who can plug a hole when we're having a tough defensive night, and he can be another pick-and-roll machine if Capela is having an off night.

Also - Smoove is 31 while Anthony is 33.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

are you talking about him replacing Capela in pnr's? hes not even close to being capable of doing that at this stage. his athleticism is nearly gone to be effective at this level and his ability to react is much slower.

smoove is 31 but his game was primarily relied upon his athleticism. Melo's is not

4. napalm06

Not sure how anything I said can be interpreted as him "replacing" Capela. There will be games when we're playing a highly physical front-court and Capela can't play all 48 minutes.

I'm also not clear on what evidence we have that Smith's athleticism is "gone", that just seems to be a herd opinion in this thread. I guess we'll have to see some of those exhibition games to be sure. How much athleticism has to be "gone" before a 6'9 guy can't lay-up a couple of lobs every other game as a utility player?

36 year old Nene is out there dunking on fools when the going gets tough.

D-rock likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

"he can be another pick-and-roll machine if Capela is having an off night" well i read that as he would replace Capela and hes obviously not the creater off pnr's

the evidence is clear by watching him and what he doesn't do anymore. its on an opinion. its actually what has happened to him. why people still have this certain vision of JS is beyond me

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It has only been 2 years that he prevailed against the Clippers, I bet Chris Paul wants him now....harhar.

YOLO likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

what he did against the clips was great and all but that doesn't mean at the end of the day he wasn't that good of a player to begin with.

if cp3 wanted him he would have already been here a long time ago, especially when they needed training camp bodies

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Would oyu have Smoove or B-Easy?

9. rockpileindisma

Looooove smoove, if not us I hope he finds a home

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Would you rather have hoodie Smoove for vet min or hoodie Melo for 24M? ;)

D-rock likes this.
  11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Legend is an understatement. Most like Rocket Godly GOAT.

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Buzz killington

D-rock likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

we need this guy according to some around here. hes just so awful now and has been for quite some time now. if you can't realize that, then you probably are following the wrong game or will never full understand it

15. napalm06

Wow he looked atrociously bad. Still has OK handles for a PF and creative passing..... To the fans in the first row.

If he's auditioning hes gonna need to have the exact opposite of this game.

Fortunately we have Luc and PJ now which make me feel better at the four than I have in 3-4 years.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

this place loves Josh Smith and seems to think that he's actually good even tho he isn't

I wouldn't want him playing over Tucker, Moute, or Nene in any of our bench units

J.R. and YOLO like this.
  17. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Omg hes only good during the ponies series, yes when he was being cp3 lobbing those tasty oops to howard .

Oh and an occasional tomahawk.

18. hakeemthagreat

I'm 100% sure you just made this up. I've watched a few of his games in China and he's basically the same player athletically. Keep in mind, the talent level is drastically lower so he's basically just scrimmaging out there. Josh Smith would be a perfect fit off the bench as a 4/5.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you're 100% wrong. you may have watched but you obviously have no idea what athleticism is

lol the talent level is drastically lower and he still looks awful. yeah that surely helps josh smith

20. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I don't ever want to see Josh Smith shooting free throws as a Rocket ever again.

kevtse likes this.