1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Just tell them that the homeless looking dude with flip flops sent you, they'll hook you up for sure.

rockpileindisma and Pen15clubber like this.
  2. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

I said this on another forum but I'll say it again. Yes HOU gave up way too much for CP. However, CP wanted to do right by LA which is why this deal was even made. He didn't want to leave LA high and dry so that's why he would only accept a sign and trade to HOU.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Disagree with this completely. The only things we gave up of value were Bev (who asked for a trade) and the first round pick (basically high 2nd rounder). Dekker was trash after his shot went to the trash bin and we barely even played Harrell due to him being undersized and having no range. Lou was going to go regardless if we wanted CP3, either through trade or FA signing.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We didn't need to give up the first round pick. Beyond that, everything else that went basically had to go in order to match salaries.

The first round pick though I will never be convinced we had to give that up.

Vivi likes this.
  5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This. 100%.
    I think we agreed on a trade, then realized Montrezz had to be included for salary reasons, and then we didn't want to be like "Fine we're adding Montrezz but keeping our pick" to avoid any other issues coming up.

6. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

remember this thread boys

thing is we will be looking at CP3 max 33-38 years old

you take chance on Paul george rental try to get young MAX locked up, him and harden would've been unstoppable, harden can play PG he just had no ball handler to help some like Paul george on the wing, we didn't need a ball dominant PG next to him

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

who's we? It was harden and cp3 themselves that wanted to play with each other. i think that takes precedent over a random saying otherwise

8. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Who cares that CP3 is getting up there in years? His game does not depend on athleticism at all. Remember how Stockton and Nash did in their late years? That's going to be CP3.

Completely disagree. We absolutely needed another person to run this offense when Harden is sitting or off his game. Paul George is NOT that guy.

9. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

we shall see
    disagree it wasnt that harden couldnt run the offense he had a MVP season doing it, he just didn have another playmaker someone who could put ball on floor make something happen.

look at warriors and cavs its not about having 2 PGs itsabout having 2 guys that can get buckets when in big games if one is off or one needs a small break, harden was nice at PG

our starting lineup had bev and ariza the worst guys who can go out get buckets

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I just don't get why everyone keeps focusing on the CP3 trade and not the PG trade. There is where everything was WTF. I still want to know what package from the Rockets could have got the deal done. If PG is here, Melo is here. I believe behind-the-scenes in the future, you will find Morey jacking up every Knick deal he can. Will be interesting to see if Russ signs his extension by the deadline. Once he doesn't you know he and PG are out of there. Both OKC deals look VERY suspicious. I fully believe that basketball in OKC would be dead if they lose their stars and they would be the first candidate to go back to Seattle.

11. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Westbrook just signed a hour ago FYI

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Wow... you completely missed the point, which is hilarious because you turned around and stated exactly the same thing I was saying. >.>

There was no issues with Harden running the offense. The problem is when Harden was NOT running the offense, we had no one else to run it. Paul George is not able to run our offense or any offense for that matter. He is not that sort of player. He can create his own shots, but asking him to run an offense is an entirely different story. Chris Paul, on the other hand, CAN and WILL run the offense and will probably do it BETTER than Harden.

Your second point continues to reiterate how you missed the point. It has nothing to do with having 2 PG's. It has everything to do with having someone else who can run the offense. Irving and LBJ can both do that. Curry, Durant, and Green can all do that. Players like PG13, Love, Klay, Butler, etc... those guys can't run an offense. They can score, but that's what separates them from actual superstars.

13. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

OK guess I have to give you examples

*****Game 5 & 6 vs sours HARDEN OFF*****

Rockets didn't need someone else to come in and run the offense, they needed someone else who can take pressure off harden when he didn't have it going AND GET BUCKEYTS, all eyes were on him every possession.

our offense is passing to shooters harden was on GIVE HIME HE BALL BE CAN GET BUCKETS player we had

******Example 2 CLIPPERS SERIES****

JOSH SMITH - again harden was off, that's were even sloth saved us, WHY becauee he was able to get buckets, not run the offense.

****cp3 is a upgrade***

Don't get me wrong but I liked harden at PG And just another get buckets player next to harden at the 2 or wing. Cp3 can get buckets also so we will see how Thing ma shakes but we likes to have the ball, maybe cp3 will run offense and harden be the get buckets match so it swaps, but PG & harden would've been better fit

14. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

These posters that try to set themselves up to be some kind of Nostradamus really get me going sexually

15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Lou wasn't a FA.... Also it looks like it's more opinion rather than facts you're throwing out. I just made a factual stamens that CP himself said. You're right about BEV wanting out but he alone could've got you more than just CP. Lou, Dekker, Harrell, all the other scrubs thrown in and a future pick was more than enough. Remember CP waived him trade exception which would've allowed HOU to make the trade CP easier and absorb some of that money.
    I'm not saying this is the ONLY reason why CP took the sign and trade but it's one of the reasons.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Us shedding Lou Williams to sign or trade for CP3 is not an opinion, but a guaranteed truth. He was on the books for $7M and did not perform well enough for us to move anyone else with a large contract before him. Everyone with half a brain around the league new that we would be moving Lou if we had a chance to sign a superstar to a max contract.

You honestly think that Bev alone could have gotten us more than just CP? That's pretty ridiculous. CP3 is a top 3 PG, what is Bev? Bev MIGHT have been able to net us a mid first rounder, but him alone definitely would not have netted us any player as good or better than CP3. To say that is just complete idiocy.

Do you have any idea how math works? In order to trade for CP3, we need to send out at least 80% of his salary. That's roughly $20M. By throwing in Bev and after CP3 waiving his trade bonus, we barely hit the number required and you are talking about trying to complete a trade without Bev's $5.5M? Where is the rest of that money going to come from?

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Wish we could have held on to the first. Would have Melo maybe.

Anyway.. deal needed to be made. Paul is a G

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

NYK didn't want garbage back, so I am not sure a low first rounder would have helped getting rid of Anderson while convincing a 3rd team to send anything decent to NYK.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meh, we picked a top ten player.

Hard to be mad about that, at just about any price.

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing we should regret this summer is not outbidding Pacers for PG.

I gotta think Gordon and Capela woulda beat the Thunder offer.

Then Melo would be here and we would have a big 4.