1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Looking at Butler, Melo & P.G deals (do you think we gave up too much for CP3 ?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, Sep 23, 2017.

?

did we give up too much for CP3 on a expiring looking at butler, P.G, melo deals now ?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2017.
  1. Yes - we could've kept some assets to try to get a third star or looked at Butler or P.G

114 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No - I'm ok with giving up what we gave even tho we couldn't get melo that wanted to be here

88 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Yeah, I think if he has a good season there will be at least a team or two that will throw good money at him. Lot's of teams with cap space next summer.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Are you sure about that? He exudes some major defensive stops, critical loose balls, and 3 pt shots. I say he's at least better than Lavine and a tie with Oladipo. Kanter on the other hand would have helped this roster no doubt.

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I would take Bev over any of those dudes, tbh.

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

For Melo yes

I pray that I'm wrong I really do but if I look at the analytics I would say Gordon health scares me. Dude hasn't played in like 75% of games in his career. If he gets hurt everyone is gonna turn against saying we should of traded him for that reason

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Did you watch the playoffs last year. OKC couldn't play kanter against us because his D was bad.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

he just completed an entire yeah of staying healthy overall. what does analytics have to do with health.the constant complaint about health is just tiresome at this point, when last season proved they can be relied upon to stay healthy

he was hurt in NO for most of his time. he comes here in a much better situation and has a great year. might actually his best if you want to take into account winning and contribution

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Dekker was hot garbage. I don't see the hype. He was the most frustrating player in the roster after Anderson, clearly.

I was sad about Beverley being included it he. Found out he requested a trade so he was gone anyway. Harrell wasn't getting anymore minute that he did the previous season. The first was a given . Only person I felt was overkill was Lou williams but without him I don't think the salaries work..

rockpileindisma likes this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The value of our trade ultimately boiled down to how much value we perceive our assets outside of Bev as having. For me, the draft pick was worth more than Dekker at Trez combined. Lou might be worth a very low first rounder himself. However, I find the people crying about the following hilariously stupid:

- "Lou was worth a lot because he was a 6th candidate." Let's be real... Lou was a 6th man candidate on the LAKERS. They sucked, like sucked really really bad. Don't let his role on a really bad team inflate his value artificially.

- Dekker was becoming trash given how broken his jumpshot had gotten. The only reason we played him as much as we did was because we had no one else to put behind Ariza. Even with that situation in mind, we still chose to play Ariza way to many minutes. I wonder why that is?

- Harrell was such a bad fit for our team that we didn't even play him much in the playoffs. While his potential is intriguing, it's not something we want to slowly develop and hope he turns out the best case scenario.

#88 chenjy9, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  9. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

I'll have to see how he does as a full time starter, the game against PHX last season was a glimpse of what he could do, but he's running Doc's offense now.

The other 3 have had major scoring roles as either the #1 or #2 guy on a team.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Kanter would be another scoring and rebounding threat in the post... Something the Rockets surely needed.

11. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

We didn't have cap room to sign CP3 outright, so a trade was needed.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh the same kanter that you can't play in the playoffs. oh what a threat he is....sitting on the bench

13. Progs

Progs Member

Nope because CP3 is so much better than those other guys. You can make a case for CP3 being a top 5 player.

14. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

We gave a lot of player but that allows us to do a Trade, not sign Paul as FA.
    and that allows us to sign Tucker (it could have been Iggy or Reddick) and Tarik Black. and keeping Anderson

Dumping Anderson contract to create space for Paul could have cost us 2 first

15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

We would've had to dump Bev and Lou, and maybe one other. Same price but maybe keep Dekker.

16. hakeemthagreat

Good question. We definitely gave up too much for CP3. If we had Dekker or Trez, Melo would be a Rocket. CP3 is a superstar on the downside of his career. No way he's worth that many players. But I credit Morey's aggressiveness

17. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

THIS!!

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

First, yes. On second thought, no because we didn't know Melo was in play until he requested to be traded after the CP3 trade. And most important, the trade shows CPaul how valuable the Rockets think of him. IF, he does the unthinkable, it is going to hurt for long time.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We gave up a free agent PG, Corey Brewer, and the 18th and 32nd picks of the 2015 NBA draft, for a consensus top 10 player in his prime.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but Melo wouldn't even consider us without CP3

so Dekker/Trez would actually make NYK change their mind about not wanting RA?

we would have Melo if morey had given RA the 4th yr as team option or 3yrs $65M