1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Carmelo Anthony has expanded his trade list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

2. Calebhardin9

Calebhardin9 Member

I disagree that OKC and Cleveland have more assets than we would have in a three team trade. Also don't forget that trade kicker
    we would have better assets than either of these teams in a three teamer. Crowder can't be traded for a while and they won't part with that bkn pick. Okcs package of Kanter and scrubs isn't better than what NY could get from a third team via us. Also neither of those teams can trade draft picks until 2021 and 2022 respectively (which they won't considering Russ and LBJ aren't locked up).

photojoe likes this.
  3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Wow !!!!

20 games you had, great sample size!!

I wonder how it compares to the rockets month of December???

Intriguing stuff, sample size be damned!!!

Btw, if your curious, the blazers played 26 games after acquiring nurkic but he only played in 20. They went 14-6 with him and 18-9 overall after acquiring him.

Meanwhile, from the start of December the rockets went 20-2.

But hey, nurkic is the new oden!!!!

#263 BigMaloe, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  4. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The portland cockroaches are trying to overrun Clutchfans. Time to show them how we do things around here.

[​IMG]

5. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  6. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Hey if we're disregarding sample size, the Rockets haven't lost a single game with CP3. Beat that.

seeingredtx, kwakmeister and photojoe like this.
  8. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

I'm not trying to overrun anything. Just chatting about basketball dude. I probably am a cockroach though.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Time to re-read Morey's Q&A knowing that Melo expanded his list 10 days ago

today, BigMaloe and DreamShook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

There is a reason the Rockets haven't offered Ariza or Gordon of Capela for Anthony.

I am not sure what you think Anthony is... but he is 33 years old, an age when players take a big dip historically. He already has been declining for years. Anthony isn't a superstar or all star at this point. He had 50 million due the next two years. If he declines, the Rockets could be left paying him 25 million in 2018.

The appeal is the hope he will improve in a diminished role and with D'Antoni. That is a dicey assumption as he would be playing almost all PF and has never had to play a lesser role before so no one knows why to expect.

There is a reason Morey has only offered what he has, and it is because that is why he values Anthony at.

Richie_Rich, Deuce, Vivi and 5 others like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The $8.1m trade kicker is charged to the incoming team's salary in total, not spread. Usually it is spread, thus the confusion. But Melo's situation is somewhat not normal, because 2018-19 is an ETO year. Bonuses do not spread into ETO years, but the salary he makes in the ETO year counts towards calculating the total bonus. So, the 15% bonus is on $54m remaining, but it all counts to this year.

That means the trading team has to match $34m in trade, thus must match by sending out $27.5m

Here's confirmation from Ian Begley
    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-k...mbers-would-add-up-in-a-carmelo-anthony-trade

If Carmelo is traded after July 1 and doesn't amend his early-termination option, his incoming salary with the full 15 percent trade-kicker would increase to $34,369,545. That's a significant portion of the salary cap to commit to the 33-year-old 10-time All-Star.

NOTE: This means that Carmelo could be saying "Sure, I'll expand my list. But not waive my trade kicker. So, good luck finding someone to send out $27m in salary." lulz

Richie_Rich, Vivi, Matt78777 and 12 others like this.
  12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification, I knew it was something like this.

Gonna go dust the trade machine and see what scenarios look like.

@Vivi

Edit: it's doable for both okc and Cleveland but it would be 3 for 1 deals. Shrimp/jr/frye works as does lantern/abrines/singler.

Side note: for Portland they would have to dumb Evan turner, one of either Meyers or harkless and a small minimum type contract. Or, turner is a worse contract than ryno it would take Meyers/harkless/(aminu or ed Davis)and a minimum.

In conclusion. Lots of 3&4 for 1 trades with multiple bad contracts

#272 BigMaloe, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Vivi and Calebhardin9 like this.
  13. Fullcourt

Don't really see why Melo would do that. I think it's clear that the dude wants nothing to do with Knicks training camp, followed Morey's order all summer, then realized this **** ain't happening so he figured he'd just add a couple more championship caliber teams to the list. Hopefully Morey was player SUPER hard ball and can still get this done with minimal damage to our rotation and future assets, but we are in a MUCH worse spot than we were 10 days ago.

14. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

This. Would. Be. Awesome.

Not optimistic, but would be a hell of a coup(?)!

15. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

But if you look at the teams, they have a hard time coming up with the salary/players to pull it off

16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

LOL

Tha_Dude likes this.
  17. Fullcourt

Well yeah, still doesn't change that fact that it killed a ton of our leverage. I honestly think the Knicks are 100% okay with a lateral move. Problem is Ryno's deal is a year longer than Melo's.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Cleveland has the assets to get this trade done, but they aren't doing it.

Rockets do too, but they aren't doing it.

The fact is I THINK at least, the Knicks are asking for way too much. Teams are wanting to dump their bad contracts for Melo, that is his value right now, and the Knicks are trying to score solid rotational players for a vet player that can be a bit of a head case that they already made known they don't want around. Complete garbage value.

Do the Knicks want Kanter? If not then who? Is OKC going to have to give up a key player to get him? Will they be willing to do that?

The teams in the running for Melo are win NOW teams, as in, win in 2018 teams, so they will be stingy with giving up ANY thing they don't already want to give up. This is the Knicks main issue here.

Cavs, Rockets, OKC are trying to compete with the Warriors, that means giving up a Gordon or Ariza to get Melo is counter productive. You are only getting Melo if the team taking him is replacing a player with him, not gutting their team of 2 key players to get one.

Knicks don't understand this. These 3 teams will be more willing to stand pat then take the risk. Cavs want Melo, but they are not giving up anything for him.

The Knicks have way overestimated his value, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him or cut him by the years end.

today and Nook like this.
  19. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I love you man.. hehe