1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well considering Carr started off 0-11, I think Watson has a great chance. Can't imagine what this fanbase or even Bobby would have been saying after loss number 5 in a row much less 11. But yea, lets rake Watson over the coals after being 1-0.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

then build an offense to hide his flaws while he works on everything else. we had a "noodle arm" lead the league in passing. a top five offense for around 4 seasons by knowing where that defense was not going to be and confusing the defense with misdirection.

Htownballer38 and red5rocket like this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Man give it an effin rest

We have a terrible O line and trash weapons outside of Hop. Did you see a tight end last week?

Not many teams win with the circumstances Watson played with. On his 22nd birthday while starting for the first time. Dude is clutch.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Schaub was accurate and good at reading defenses.

In any case, Watson might end up being good. I just don't like the idea of using 2 first rounders for a guy with so many obvious flaws

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All new QBs come in with flaws. It's probably best to focus on the positive aspects of his game. Flaws can be corrected.

Htownballer38, red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, it all comes down to "just winz"

I hope you'd realize by now that when I am talking about the performance of individual players, win/loss record is not something I factor in...you know, because it has nothing to do with individual performance.

Anyway, I'll say no more on the subject till there is another game worth of data points. Hopefully the fanboys are right and we start to see the first evidence that Watson is already capable of what they insist he's already capable of when it comes to passing the football.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Andrew Luck the most heralded QB since Manning threw for a 54% his rookie year.

Accuracy takes time. Things do improve.

Htownballer38 and Crutch City like this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It's not that I don't agree with you. He hasn't shown anything yet. But I don't see the point in arguing him down already. And after Carr's 5th game, and 5th loss, I actually wonder where you would be? Part of me thinks you have the determination to stick it out for him until he became good, but another part of me thinks even you would have cracked under all those losses.

And in the "just winz" category. I'll take 125 yds and a win over 350 yds and a loss EVERY SINGLE DAY.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, it's not about wins or losses when you are talking about an individual players performance. In Carr's first 5 games he had over 1000 yards, over 60% completion percentage, and 8 TD passes with a QB rating over 80, those are very respectable numbers for a rookie, especially a 2nd round rookie. The team winning or losing simply doesn't matter when talking about that individual performance.

Do you truly expect Watson to hit ANY of those numbers after his 5th game? Is there really a solid reason to think he could throw for 21 TD's this season?

I mean, IMO the problem with comparing Watson thus far to Carr's rookie season isn't that Carr didn't have his struggles that year, he certainly did, it's that Carr had games where he really looked damn good as a passer and we just haven't seen that yet from Watson either in the preseason, or in the games he's been in since then. If he puts together some games where he throws 4 td's and only 1 interception or where he throws 3 td's and no interceptions as Carr did his rookie season then it would completely change my opinion of him. So far all we've seen is the struggles with almost no success as a passer, I just need to see some success first before I'll think he's capable of it THIS year.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Malaya

Malaya Member

What can you do? He's the guy we drafted. We have to find out what he's capable of. Right now we choose to celebrate what he can do rather than b**** about what he isn't doing. Or about who isn't here.

We are willing to bet he can grow to be a gamechanging QB. He has a track record for winning.

Htownballer38 and Fulgore like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well in his ONE game this year he had an 84.7 QBR. He is playing with the absolute worst Oline I have ever seen with a very depleted receiving core. But let's see what he can do.

Edit: And just curious... WHY is it not about wins or losses? I don't care if he dinks and dumps us to the super bowl. Do you? You make so much fun of "just winz" Why? Why do you care about the stat line when wins are what actually matter.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we need to bury our heads in the sand and pretend that his current shortcomings don't exist. I don't think it's productive to hype up the few things he's doing right while ignoring those things that he isn't good at.

QBR is BS, I shouldn't have to point that out. In his games this season he has a 68.3 QB rating which is another way of saying terrible.

Also, I shouldn't have to point out that in a conversation about the performance of individual players, "winz" is irrelevant, but I guess I have to spell it out. Last year with Osweiler, the Texans won 8 games, does that mean that if the Texans win less than 8 games this year that Osweiler is a better QB than Watson? By "just winz" rules, it would mean that.....which is why "just winz" is a REALLY stupid thing to bring up.

The "Just winz" BS is almost exclusively used to prop up an individual player when there's nothing legitimate to show that they are any good at all. It's what Tebow fans pointed to, it's what Mark Sanchez fans pointed to early in his career, it's what Vince Young fans continue to use to this day to suggest that he wasn't the terrible NFL QB that everyone knows he was.

I ask that you don't do that to Watson, instead just wait till he shows some evidence that he's that kind of QB.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

First of all. YOU are the one that brought up QBR with Carr saying his was over 80. Watson is not at 68.3. His one half against the Jags was but his first full game in his career on short week with no TEs and no Oline was 84.7 second ONLY to Tom Brady.

But no, I don't think it means much, just going off something you pointed out in the first place about Carr. Funny how it matters that Carr was over 80, but its a stupid rating when I point out that Watson was over 80... Whatever

I guess I am explaining myself wrong.. It's not that "just winz" means I think Watson is amazing. More that I don't care how good he is if the team is winning. He also gives us the best chance to win with this crumbling Oline.

Htownballer38, Sooty and Fulgore like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I brought up QB rating, not QBR. QBR is a bogus ESPN stat, QB rating is an imperfect but legit QB metric. You really do need to know the difference.

16. tmacfor35

QBR ratings in 2016

1. Matt Ryan
    2. Tom Brady
    3. Dak
    4. Aaron Rodgers
    5.Drew Brees

Useless stat we have here.....

Sooty, red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL are you seriously arguing for QBR? You do know that it's a secret what that metric even measures right? You know that they attempt to measure "clutch" in that metric right?

Just because you like what a BS metric like QBR says doesn't mean it's legitimate. It's never been legitimate in the past and it isn't now.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was at Steak 48 last night eating by HIMSELF. No teammates. So he's either not a TEAM GUY or he's a genius, avoiding having to pickup the tab (mandatory rookie hazing). GRATZ.

FLASH21 likes this.
  19. tmacfor35

I'm just pointing out that the top 5 QB's last year all miraculously showed up in this BS stat.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Im going with Genius