1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What you want him to take a beating like Savage did. If the oline actually blocks for either of these guys, they would be ok.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He'll probably take fewer sacks than Savage which might make them a little better this year, but it still isn't worth it. He has horrible habits dealing with pressure, has bad accuracy and bad footwork. He needs to work on these things extensively and not be forced into a situation where he keeps repeating those habits in game.

3. justtxyank

Issue still there. Can't throw downfield with accuracy.

Big advantage he has over Savage right now; the ability to threaten with his legs keeps defenses honest.

Kubiak's offense would be perfect for Watson. :(

Htownballer38, Nook, FLASH21 and 2 others like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is the bullshit that pisses me off when it comes to "analysis." So with Savage, not his fault, lines is terrible. All of a sudden Watson comes in and we're supposed to believe that the OL became all-pro? Give me a break, this type of analysis is ridiculous. No reps with the #1s, no game planning as the starter, and the OL was still shitty when he came in the game. All of that could be why his accuracy was off.

Htownballer38 and Fulgore like this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I don't see how people use the rookie excuse for his accuracy. He will move, he will scramble, and he will run. He will be hit and miss with passes, and get us cheering then screaming. A good safety or cornerback will see him as an all day buffet for their chance at getting an interception.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. justtxyank

Right. The same problems he's had every year he's played football are probably a fluke caused by not getting enough reps.

OR it could be that he has footwork issues and doesn't handle the blitz well. I don't know. His accuracy downfield was a problem in college as well, maybe they didn't give him enough reps with the 1st at Clemson either.

Bobbythegreat and deb4rockets like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he doesn't become another Manziel flash in the pan. I have no doubt he is more dedicated to studying hard, working hard, and staying out of trouble than Johnny was though. That's a big plus. I just haven't seen anything yet to get excited about, that leads me to think he will be better than any other quarterback the last 4 years. I sure hope that changes real soon! I want him to succeed more than anyone, but am not going to get my hopes up again like I did with all the other quarterbacks. Blame Rick and Bill or my skepticism in their judgement. The only rookie that looked exciting to me was Mahomes. Damn those Chiefs! Isn't Alex Smith enough?

8. ipaman

what a facking stupid reply. why draft anyone at all since every draftee has problems and deficiencies. i mean, no part-time amateur football player has ever improved after becoming a full time professional football player.

and you intentionally ignored everything else i posted to make your shitty point.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this.

This kind of pisspoor poor protection and coaching can really set a young quarterback back if he is thrown into it.

There is not much doubt BOB is gone. He wanted out of his deal 2 years ago (or a raise and he got neither) and Rick Smith needs someone to blame when he crawls to Bob and Cal's office.

Until the Texans address their offensive line properly, they are not winning anything.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. justtxyank

1) You responded to a post that pointed out his struggles by blaming his lack of reps
    2) I never said he can't get better at those things. In this very thread I've said I like him better than Savage but I want him to get to sit so he doesn't get put in a horrible situation behind this line that forces him to repeat bad habits over and over.
    3) I've also blamed OBrien for his bad offensive scheme and said I don't Watson stuck in it.

You seem to struggle with reading posts and having a discussion beyond excuse making. You also seem to have anger issues. Lots of tension in the city right now so if something is going on in your life that really sucks right now I'm sorry. I've been snappy a lot with people lately as well. Best of luck to you.

Nook and Bobbythegreat like this.
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Definitely.

If/when he starts the whole objective should be to "move" the pocket (or whatever is left of one after the snap).

Obviously its more difficult to move the pocket with Savage at the helm, but it seems to be a necessity with how poorly they are in pass protection. His strengths are definitely a good nulifier of our weaknesses on offense but he must improve on the medium to long passes. If not the defense will start to sit on the short to intermediate throws and assign a spy on Watson to take away his run threat.

Good stats.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Huh?

Are you saying that Watson throws the deep ball well and handles pressure well?

No one said the line was even mediocre for Watson, it was bad.

The analysis is simply using statistical facts to back up what anyone with half a brain already knew, Watson is very good on the run and throwing short. He is exceptionally good at it and it is a large reason why he was drafted in round 1. He wasn't #1 in the whole draft because he has accuracy issues down the field, doesn't handle pressure as well as some and needs to work on his footwork.

justtxyank and Bobbythegreat like this.
  13. justtxyank

He had serious deficiencies leading into the draft. Basically every scouting report was identical on him and he has shown those deficiencies in every game he's played so far. They are things that can potentially be fixed and he has a GREAT attitude and is a hard worker so I won't rule out that he will fix them. I would NOT paid the cost for him because I'm not a believer in doing that for a non-can't miss type, but hey, it's done. I now want whatever will put him in the best position because we need him. Him busting would be a devastating blow.

The worst thing for him at this point is forcing him to run an offense he doesn't know with crappy receivers and tight ends due to injury that also don't know the offense and behind an offensive line that is god awful. He already struggles with the blitz. He'll never get better at handling the blitz if we are going to make him play behind a line that gives up pressure 31 out of 34 dropbacks. That's just ridiculous. I didn't think the OLINE could possibly be this bad, but hey, it is. If it's going to be that bad, it would be a crime against the future of the franchise to make Watson play behind it.

Nook and deb4rockets like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one is saying Savage is any good either.

We may have two QBs worse than Brock Osweiler.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For whatever reason, it seems like people have a strong emotional attachment to Watson and defend him like he's their child. Any completely legitimate criticism is met with ridiculousness. I don't think anyone is being overly harsh when talking about Watson, everyone acknowledges that he shows flashes at times and is good at running for his life and can make short passes and most people blame the deficiencies in his game on him being not ready to play in the NFL just yet.

justtxyank likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Right, moving the pocket and playing his probably best for the wins this year. It can definitely be effective, depending on whether OBrien wants to run a different offense. (I'm not convinced he will ever run anything but his offense) I don't know that it's best for the long term though.

17. ipaman

Not buying it. This OL is minus greedy facker brown, plus martin, and newton/clark equal giancommi. not wholesale changes by any means. i think martin as a rookie is making mistakes as a protection caller and savage sucks at calling protections. this is not a secret, folks have mentioned it.

"$30m in earned guarantees already" brown might decide to show up to work, martin may improve, watson might be better at protection calls, and he definitely opens the playbook slowing down the intense rush just because of his mobility which allow for things like rollouts, boots, read options, etc..

all of those things can address OL play NOW and buy you time to rebuild via draft and sign for the long-term.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't go that far just yet. If given even a minimum amount of time IMO Savage would produce much better than Osweiler. The kind of accuracy he has is a real weapon....he just needs an O line that can give him that very minimal amount of time he needs to operate. If you are getting hit well before 3 seconds passes from the snap, no QB will do well. Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in his prime would look like ass in that situation.

19. justtxyank

I have an emotional attachment to him. We spent 2 first round picks on him and he's a great kid. I want him to succeed and be the face of the franchise. So we should be honest about him and what's best for him. Pretending he doesn't have issues or making excuses doesn't help him. It's in his best interest for us to be honest.

20. ipaman

Best of luck to you as you and the others continue to search for more and more excuses to savagely defend Savage as if he earned that patience and respect. Meanwhile Watson will continue to work and not be denied because he's a gamer and alpha AF.