1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will the damage from a direct hit to Miami cost more than the damages from Harvey? This is half a trillion dollars between two storms. Wow.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

and they still have to build the wall.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Miami alone, I dont think so. Miami is not all that big and the standards of infrastructure are designed to handle high winds. With 12-18" of rain, there wont be much flooding. It seems Irma is taking the most destructive path possible...which is straight up the center of Florida. Fortunately the storm is expected to move very quickly.

B-Bob and Sajan like this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Charleston is looking more and more likely, plus it floods easily. Flight back on Saturday to Houston thank god

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Based on what? Models are putting it from Miami, to Orlando then straight up to Atlanta.

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea, it is pretty strange considering the strength of it by the time it'll be close by (I have been wondering the same thing), but the surge here is pretty bad and the city floods ridiculously easily. I'll put my faith in the authorities and the hurricane vets here. A good portion of the people here have already evacuated. Mandatory evac expected tomorrow morning.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They should build the wall to keep the hurricanes out. Those hurricanes sound like some really bad hombre. When the oceans sends us their weather systems, they are not sending the good ones.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Freaking round earth shill. Take your crap elsewhere.

9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Just heard from my mother in law who lives on St. Martin, she is okay, she borrowed a satellite phone, roof completely ripped off during storm while she was in house, currently at a close friends house bracing for Jose tomorrow. She also mentioned feels like a lot of chaos there right now everyone pretty scared and devasted

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

is it possible that climate change caused this. Sure. I can say that. I can also say that this is nature which has been doing its thing since the creation of the earth...Can you?

Again, I hope everyone stays safe and is prepared for all this climate change.

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Glad to hear she is well. Sending a prayer for your mom and all affected.

whiskeyred likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Smart. I love that town but it is the Jazz-like flopper of storm cities.

13. miamirocketman

Man I can answer this for you and its with a really heavy heart I do. So Miami will cost harvey x 10 or maybe 20 in my opinion and you will see what shortly. So Harvey from what I can tell really wrecked the suburbs where homes are not that pricey ie 300 homes in a neighborhood worth $200k thats still $60m but Miami, we have neighborhoods like Golden Beach directly on the ocean that have 50 homes all over $20M a piece sitting directly ON the ocean. Some of these homes top $100M. What's more ridiculous is all the way up the coast you have golden beach,boca raton,manalapan,fort lauderdale, west palm. The sheer number of $20-100m homes along the coast there is astounding. I honestly will make a prediction that the insurance companies will not have the money to pay out. I'll call it from now, its literally an astronomical amount of money.

My condo for instance is in south of fifth which is the best part of south beach, I live in one of the most economical condos in that are and its an 826 sq foot condo that I paid $795,000 for in 2013 when we moved. Think about that for a second vs prices in houston and I live in a fairly normal building. You have condos on the water like the Apogee or the Continuum or Ocean House in my neighborhood where $2000-3000/sq ft is the norm. The buildings I think should be fine, maybe some windows blowout and flood condos but there's really just about no houses on miami beach but there are a TON of old buildings where people live on low floors and tons of old people. Miami Beach isnt like Houston where areas are all rich or poor. South of fifth for instance has condos that are $60M+ at the apogee and 1 block away you'll have a building thats really old where an efficiency is $150k. So property values are literally based on the building itself.

I personally feel every business is going to get destroyed, it just tears me apart bc now is the beginning of high season and I really can't think of a better place on earth than south beach in the winter. Im very worried about these massive cranes in downtown falling but more than that just very worried about all the people that couldn't/wouldn't leave. I got really prepared last week because we initially were going to stay before things took a turn for the worst and when we left I gave all our food/water to the building workers at our place and NONE of them had water/food and most didn't even know a hurricane was coming and this was tuesday night. So you have to really worry about those who aren't informed bc all the stores are out of supplies and they may not be able to get them. My condo is 2 blocks from the ocean but i have an oceanview and god willing we dont get our windows blown out bc I do not have flood insurance, never thought id need it on the 8th floor!

So from a money standpoint if tons of these condos get flooded bc windows dont hold up, that + the dollar value of these miami homes, this will be the biggest disaster in history, thats my prediction. Houston for all its wealth probably has less than 100 homes over $10M, miami beach alone probably has 100s and thats one little town, the entire coast of florida has thousands of homes over $10M that is insanity. Then factor in the yachts too and it will be epic. There aren't a ton of yachts sitting in rockport texas or new orleans, there's like 40 yachts in the south of fifth marina that topped $100m on their own. I cant even wrap my head around the dollar figure coming to this storms aftermath.

Whats most surreal to me is I always read this forum and made this account august 23 as you can see, I made it to get updates from locals on harvey and now a short time later the city I live in is going to get wiped out. 12 years and a major hurricane doesnt hit the US and in less than a month, both my towns are decimated. Its incredible.

#3273 miamirocketman, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am praying that the hurricane (Irma) will be downgraded. For those so inclined, please join me. Pressures are coming up.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea even a cat 1 will cause major flooding.

16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Can someone explain to me why those models are projecting that Irma is gonna make what it looks like a 75 degree turn into Florida? My dad and uncle are having a tough time understanding it and I'm asking myself that same question too. It looks like whatever thing is forcing the turn is coming in too early but I dunno.

17. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

So evacuations and panic have caused mass fuel shortages in Florida. I
    Did you not see what Harvey did? Straight 180 back out to the gulf, then a direct turn at Houston, then whatever the hell it did after that: spins, squats, skips all over Houston for days.

18. miamirocketman

I dont think you guys grasp how small a place like miami beach is, its about 100 streets long from south pointe park to bal harbour mall before the bridge to sunny isles. There is literally just a handful of gas stations. My office is across the street from my condo so I fill up once a month or so and even I drive from 1st street where i live all the way to 96th street to this mobil station by bal harbor bc its like a whole 50-75 cents cheaper for gas. The few gas stations that are in south beach were basically at $3.49-$3.99 the other day when i was trying to fill up pre storm and I filled up for 2.89 at my spot. So pretty much everyone on the island knows not to fill up at the pricey ones and probably waited to go to the 1 or 2 cheap ones and got screwed when they were out of gas. I know real estate is more expensive and they need to make more to support the properties but Miami Beach,separate town from Miami, has no infrastructure to support people who arent well off. In times like this, it just sucks for those people bc you can't get cheap gas, you have to pay to park everywhere you go, yes even the grocery store next to me on 5th street. It's just an all around crummy experience bc most people walk everywhere to do stuff but in times like this you gotta take your car and load up and lots of people dont have cars bc parking spots run $30k+ at some buildings and others just dont wanna pay to park everywhere they go so they uber. Miami Beach and its little quirks are a recipe for disaster in a catastrophe like this

DonKnock likes this.
  19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Wow my bad. I had typed that in earlier and was going to say something based off this news story I saw but it ended up being false. It had these people fighting and it turned out to be an old video. I forgot to clear it out when I was responding to The Stig's post.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Went back, got the cell phone he forgot at home, then came back to drag his nuts all over this city.