1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

I think few if any are arguing that he should get paid for sitting on the couch. It's more the principle about NFL contracts not being guaranteed that some disagree with.

Yes Brown is paid handsomely for his work, but most NFL players make nothing near that. Should he apologize for being more physically gifted and putting in thousands of hours of grueling work which earned him that paycheck to begin with? I think not. Players hold out all the time. It's the nature of the business. Just bc the Texans have this "policy" of not negotiating with terrorists doesn't mean Brown has no right to act this way. It sucks yes, but this narrative of "ehhhhhh they make millions blah blah blah." Well yeah they do, and the majority of people in the workforce can't do what he does. He provides a skill that is highly saught after. That's why he makes millions!!

Anyway, as usual on this stuff you've dug yourself in and there's no point in arguing it further. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with some of it. Hopefully he comes back soon bc we do need him.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that he doesn't have the right to do what he's doing, I'm arguing that it's stupid of him to do so given the circumstances. He has every right to retire if that's what he really wants and I'd never suggest otherwise.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

The thing that gets me the most is you saying the way he's choosing it is stupid. Ok well I don't agree with your way so your way is stupid.

You can't call someone decision to do something stupid because you don't agree or believe it'll work.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, I'm fine with you having that opinion, but you'll need to back it up with something or I'll dismiss it.

When I say his decision is stupid, I'm saying it because it is counter productive and could very likely just lead to him losing even more money. As of now, he's already lost something like a quarter of a million dollars due to his holdout that if he can't get a new deal done, will just be gone forever. If he starts missing games he'll lose $411,000 per game that he'll likely never recover.

IMO losing that much money when you have no leverage to get what you want is stupid. It's pissing away money just to be stubborn.....so yeah, I absolutely will call his decision stupid because I don't believe it will work. If I thought it would work, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If it was likely to work, it would just be him being a smart businessman. If you see someone about to stick their hand in a blender with the hope of becoming Iron Man, would you think that was stupid? I would. It's very unlikely to give the individual the experience they are hoping for and they'll likely be damaged due to the action instead. I see Duane Brown's holdout in a similar light.

7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Part of negotiations anytime a player holds out is getting that money they missed out on back

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, when they are successful....when they aren't successful, they just screwed themselves out of that money. The Texans simply don't do contract work during the season, so he's got like 4 days to get a deal done or he's just sh*t out of that money. If he skips games, that'll just be more money he screwed himself out of due to being stubborn.

Again though, if his plan works, more power to him.....but it's just REALLY looking like it's not going to and that makes it really, really, really stupid just like DMo and his agent were for not taking the QO and earning more from there.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No DMo is on a whole other level of stupidity. It cost him $40+ Million and just about his career at a young age

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure, I was just giving you an example of someone who was stupid in a contract issue and ended up losing a ton of money. If Duane Brown's holdout goes past week 1, he'll have lost nearly $750,000.00 that he'll never get back. If he misses the full 8 that he can miss before the season doesn't count and he'd be stuck in Houston under contract for 2 more years, he'll lose over 3.5 million dollars that he'll never get back.

I'm all for players looking out for their own best interest in most situations, but when they start doing counter productive nonsense that hurts not only the team but themselves as well, I call it stupid. The guy is already 32 years old, how many more years does he have left where he could make nearly 10 million dollars? It just doesn't make sense.....but that said, if it ends up working out for him, I'll take all of this back and say that he was smart to hold out.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Is it time for the game thread?

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Let Duane Brown lose all his money. At this point, don't care if he plays.

Bobbythegreat and J.R. like this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's crazy if he thinks the OL is fine without Duane. Heck it sucks even with Duane.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im thinking there is something at play here that has nothing to do with money. Decent chance that Duane wants to play for another team on top of any financial issues he has with the Texans.

18. Mr. Clutch

For what it's worth, PFF ranked Texan's OL 29th with Duan Brown.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's possible, which is why I'd force him to retire or be a big boy and play out his contract. If the Texans give in, it'll set a precedent that they don't want to set.

20. Mr. Clutch

ESPN ranks Texans schedule 10th toughest.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...g-all-32-teams-hardest-schedule-opponent-dvoa

10. Houston Texans
    Average DVOA of 2017 opponents: 0.6 percent

Hardest schedule stretch: Weeks 2-4 (at Bengals on short rest, at Patriots, vs. Titans)

Here's another team whose toughest opponents are well spaced out: at the Patriots in Week 3, at the Seahawks in Week 8, and Pittsburgh at home in Week 16. The Texans also get three straight home games before their Week 7 bye, but they have to finish up with four of their final six games on the road, including all three road games against AFC South rivals.