1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien and his ability to develop qb's

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RocketsTruth, Aug 22, 2017.

1. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Is the seahawks window closing lol, like clockwork Herm Edwards AGAIN. Like really Herm they got on ESPN early in the morning on first take just to be a mouthpiece for them and dog russell wilson hahaha

Its obvious ESPN is anti-black qb, dont let their liberal racebaiting fool you. Notice how they never critisize the sam bradfords, staffords, tannehills, flaccos, etc of the world.. Its always black qbs

2. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

name a qb that has looked good under bill o brien. Whats the common denominator. I think the texans front office knows o'brien is clueless, but wont fire him until after the season. His offensive scheme is trash, it was trash at Penn State and its trash now. He ruins qbs, not make them better

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are a sick individual, seek help.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Savage has performed well

You can't make chicken salad.

Dude made the playoffs with Mallet and Hoyer. Neither are starters. What has Fitzpatrick ever done.

#64 pgabriel, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Weeden Savage and Hoyer all have performed well

#65 pgabriel, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  6. Malaya

Malaya Member

This is the year we will know if he knows what he is talking about. He better hope Savage can move the ball.

BO'B's offense and Watson don't seem like a good fit. You know Smith will choose between Watson and BO'B if the offense continues to be underwhelming.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Then you have to question his judgment in benching them for Mallet and replacing them with Osweiler. Goes for Fitz too

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because Osweiler and Mallet have a lot of natural talent that Hoyer and Savage don't

Trying to play those guys didn't set them back. You're just complaining. Mallet was in an open competition and he is out cause he is a head case. He didn't play his way out.

TheFreak likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The organization hasn't handled acquiring a quarterback well since Schaub. That being said Oswiler and now Watson are at least attempts to address the issue long term and so was Mallet

At the same time franchise qbs don't grow on trees. The biggest miss has been Derek Carr but you can't blame them for that

Schaub did well here but he had obvious limitations. I don't blame them for taking risks on Mallet and Osweiler. Mallet costs nothing including you making the playoffs so why still harp on that

10. Mr. Clutch

I agree the organization hasn't handled it well. That's all I'm saying. To me, this is what a QB guru and offensive genius should be good at. Also, the amount of resources we've spent is a lot. We don't have our first and second round picks next year.

Yes, they tried. But usually you get fired if you fail that badly in this league. I understand they fired Godsey and made O'Brien OC while Crennel Assistent HC though, so the ownership appears to notice a problem.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He isn't fired because he makes the playoffs

Big picture.

The way Osweiler was signed out of nowhere I doubt O Brien had much to do with it. Osweiler and BOB obviously didn't get along.

He ran that guy out on the field cause he had to and he won despite Osweiler

#71 pgabriel, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed that's why he's still here, but at some point he's gonna have to stop making the offense worse year after year in order to hold on to his job. Take away RAC and Vrabel, do the Texans still make the playoffs? I'm not sure they do.

This is the season where BOB will have to prove that he's at least competent in his area of expertise or he could be on the way out.

13. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough, though I can't buy that O'Brien didn't want him. In a recent interview he said Rick Smith never gets them a guy he doesn't want. Rick Smith wants nothing to do with actual decision making, otherwise he might get fired.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

There was also a story saying he never met the Brock before the signing

15. Mr. Clutch

He didn't think he had to. He said he watched tape off him

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think it is totally fair to use wins to defend O'Brien. I mean, I get it, he's the head coach so it makes sense. But let's not act like he isn't mostly responsible for the offense which has been a disgrace for most of this time here. Most of this team's success has been because of the defense. The players, the calls, the schemes; so much has come from others. I like the guy, I really do. I just don't think he is good at running an offense. He needs to hire a competent, experienced OT. Not trying to do it himself.

red5rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.
  17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

We need a totally different offensive scheme. BOB's can't be run without Brady so it sucks.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

BS..Rick made up his mind that he was going after him.

Not defending BOB though because I don't like his offense.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

WRs still can't get open and he's still using RBs to go between the tackles even though they are suited to go outside and beat them with speed. Don't forget throwing short of the sticks on 3rd downs

vinsensual likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

BS. Rick has never done this. He signs off on what the coach wants.

Nimo likes this.