1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Billionaire Tilman Fertitta Buys Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Sep 5, 2017.

1. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

I agree with you. i am not saying he is bad or good. My only concern is will he be able to step up to any challenge that he faces to make the team better and bring the championship

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't like that.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No possible way to know if this is good or bad news for the Rockets at this point. Figured he'd be the most likely purchaser from the beginning. Hopefully he lets smart basketball people make basketball decisions and he make some improvements along the way.

4. SemisolidSnake

He's a 100% Houstonian/Galvestonian. I'm sure he'd like to bring a championship back here more than anyone. Go for it, TF.

hieuytran and DonKnock like this.
  5. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

If the prices at his restaurants are any indication, then watch out season ticket holders! The price just went up AGAIN!

6. bawanyh

bawanyh Member

that and also maybe expect the prices go up for food in his restaurants also..he has to cover 2.2 bil somewhere..lol

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I think it all happens rather quickly.

8. SemisolidSnake

I kinda like it. That's a big commitment. He's got an incentive to make things happen with this team, because it's now his number one investment.

Also, Ballmer being that rich kind of sickens me considering all the incredibly stupid things Microsoft did under his tenure.

9. BackdoorHarden

Worst run franchise is up 8% today thanks to the Rockets. Knicks stock at all time high despite having no future. I wonder how much Nets would sell for?

The Madison Square Garden Company (MSG)
    New York Stock Exchange Consolidated Issue - Nasdaq Real Time Price. Currency in USD

225.72+16.28 (+7.77%)

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I am very pleased reading these quotes. Seems like he is dedicated to efficiency much like Morey.

Also seems to understand organizational behavior very well.

Nook likes this.
  11. Coach E

Coach E Member

That's fine. We have a team worth paying for.
    This is a good thing for Houston, he isn't going to be selling out to another city. The main thing with a new owner is weather or not they will try to move the team, and we know he won't.

DonKnock likes this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

he has mob connections right? because the UFC fertittas def had them

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Unsubstantiated story from reddit:

Amel likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

People are basing their opinions on his restaurants are what he did to family restaurants he purchased

He purchased those restaurants for name value. I don't eat at his restaurants either but I respect him as a business man.

I can understand the disappointment in new ownership changing something you like about a business.

But really its not that serious especially with all the choices in this town

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I said, several people who have interacted with him say bad things, including multiple members of Clutchfans. Doesn't mean he'll be a bad owner though. But it might.

IBTL and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

as long as he doesn't cheap out in order to make as much profit as possible like OKC's owners and doesn't think that he knows more about basketball than guys like Morey, etc then I'm good

IBTL likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Got at least "loyalty". ;) Time will tell on the rest.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-characteristics-are-important-to-you.284278/

Willingness to spend money (buying draft picks, paying tax, etc) 136 vote(s) 85.0%
    Loyalty to the city of Houston 98 vote(s) 61.3%
    Loyalty to current management 87 vote(s) 54.4%
    Hands-OFF approach to basketball decisions 78 vote(s) 48.8%
    Loyalty to the Houston Rockets "Family" History 22 vote(s) 13.8%
    Individual Owner 11 vote(s) 6.9%
    Ownership Group - With Houston Athletes involved 5 vote(s) 3.1%
    Hands-ON approach to basketball decisions 3 vote(s) 1.9%
    Ownership Group 0 vote(s) 0.0%
    Ownership Group - With Famous People involved 0 vote(s) 0.0%

Morey:

Besides having a lot of money, what separates the really good owners from the ones who are not any good at it?

... What separates the great owners is their smart, forward looking approach. He's not driving from the rear-view mirror. On top of that, stay active & ask all the right questions. I don't know where it came from but there's been a perception that you want an owner who is hands off. Just gives money & is hands off. That's one of the strangest notions that's ever been foisted upon fan bases. It's actually the owner that really is the only one who has the same exact incentive as fans: winning, consistently having a chance to win the title. The reality is executives in my role, coaches, they have other things they worry about. Having a smart, active owner who when you're about to make a decision - "Should we really give up 3 first round picks for that? Have you thought about doing it this way?" - those questions and having them be smart questions & insisting on getting good answers is key for a well-run franchise.​

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Donald Sterling was dedicated to efficiency too. And he made a lot of money being dedicated to it.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Most restaurant owners try to spend as little as humanly possible and then mark it up as high as they can. I think it's called trying to make money.

Os Trigonum and K-Low_4_Prez like this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Google 'maceo crime family'