1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Hurricane Season

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Apr 17, 2017.

1. conquistador#11

are the letterpeople working today? I'm expecting my boca juniors kit to arrive soon!

(just playing along with the i have to get to the gym crowd.)

marks0223 and FishBulb913 like this.
  2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If you are living at south Montgomery County at 45 North.

The Sawdust/Rayford entrance, the 45 service road to 45 North, or Hardy Toll Road closed, blocked off by police at 9am. Spring Creek has crested over the service road which likely mean they will have to close a lot of lanes on 45 North southbound.

As of 9am, these Rayford/Sawdust business-

Closed:
    Chick Fil A
    Walmart
    Starbucks
    HEB (opening at a later time)
    Taco Bell
    Whataburger
    McDonald
    Walgreens
    CVS

Opened:
    Sundale Donut
    Shell Gas Station (HEB side)
    Hodge Basket Grocery Store (I-Fly)

Every1 be safe.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

My mom's dog is trippin in houston. She's scared of rain

5. likestohypeguy

Dumping water collected in a reservoir from one community, into the the community behind the dam, because that controlled release would be better than at once if the dam failed. Apparently these dams are at risk of failing any moment? Seems like they'd have made those strong enough to hold the capacity of the reservoir, would've been the thing to do.

And "controlled release" right now is 4,000 cubic feet of water, per second!

DonKnock likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/28/h...-watt-texans-nfl-peter-king-monday-morning-qb

A timeout for the Houston flood before we get to the rest of the column... The more images we see from Texas, the more harrowing Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath looks. Some around the country wonder, “What can we do?” J.J. Watt wondered, and then he did something. A local timeline of Watt’s flood relief efforts from his hotel in Dallas, where the Houston Texans are staying because they couldn’t get home after their Saturday night preseason game in New Orleans:

• 2 p.m.: After watching rescue efforts and the enormity of the flooding on TV, Watt begins thinking of ways to crowd-source some funding to help.

• 3:15 p.m.: He sets up a page on YouCaring.com, choosing that site because of its relatively low cost per donation, and offers to match the first $100,000 in donations.

• At about 7 p.m.: The YouCaring.com site crashes from the number of visitors. The Texans reach out to YouCaring.com, and the CEO tells the team the site is increasing its bandwidth for the campaign. By 9:20, the site is back up.

• 7:45 p.m.: Watt does Skype interviews with CNN, CNN International and CBS This Morning (to air Monday morning) to push the site. During the evening, Rockets guard Chris Paul texts Watt, saying he plans to donate $50,000.

• 10:10 p.m.: The campaign, with 2,088 donors so far, hits $228,000. Watt’s $100,000 matching goal has been passed. Now the goal is $500,000. There will be hundreds of causes when the floodwaters recede, and Watt will find some worthy ones.

“Incredible to see so many people come together on this,” Watt said to me, via Twitter direct message, shortly before 10.

People are good.

CCity Zero, Lar and No Worries like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Per the article MadMax posted Addicks and Barker dams were two of the very worst in the entire country -- major repairs were to begin next month.

vinsensual and DonKnock like this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Amazing how people from nearby cities have come all the way to Houston to help. Just random groups of people who heard the call for help and used their boats to help out by coming all the way to Houston

9. KingCheetah

DonKnock likes this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

#1791 No Worries, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Meant to stay awake again, didn't. Just couldn't stay awake. Woke up to some rain, but the street is drained all the way in both directions. Back yard is a mess, but that's secondary or tertiary. Now to keep an eye out for yellow bands on the radar.

DonKnock likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Boki is a consummate professional and I hope he retires a Rocket.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Heavens kept up with this too much but wishing you all best of luck.

How are the roads now? Is there an estimate for how long this will last?

DonKnock likes this.
  15. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Most of the damns and dikes in the US, along with interstate bridges are getting old. The are being safe because a controlled release is better than an uncontrolled release.

The other thing is ... some places are in the 500 yr flood plan and taking water. The reserviors probable were not designed to handle that much water.

Hope everyone is safe. People upstream around the reservoirs need to watch the water. They mentioned both reservoirs release to buffalo bayou. People downstream needs to be careful too.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I think they opened the dams much earlier than they are reporting. There is a flood gauge not too far down stream. Looks like they started releasing water around 9:00 PM yesterday.
    [​IMG]

#1796 Agent94, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  17. KingCheetah

I was really bored so I traced Buffalo Bayou from the ship channel all the way up to the split to Addicks and Barker reservoirs on Google Maps -- hard to believe all of that land is under water.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I want to hear more from Mayor Turner about this Jar Jar Brown Convention Center.

It's a business decision. Lost time = lost money.

19. likestohypeguy

Yeah that changed, one was supposed to start early this morning, then the other later today. Don't remember which was supposed to be which, but both earlier than advised last night.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member