1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

As a CF member I'm just gonna provide leaks in anyway. I can't lie to my Rockets brothers. I hear. I post. I love my team. I also know 90% of the ppl I talk to are ehhh weird n don't know the ins and outs. Just funny they say comments like that.

2. baubo

baubo Member

I don't know why you keep saying "you think Morey..." He flat out said mid December was to add flexibility and any date after that you're locked in. His words, not my interpretation. Not sure why you need to respond to my interpretation since I just echoed Moreys statement but added the reason why he specifically noted that particular date.

3. rockets13champs

they caught on and finally changed it

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sorry, sometimes it sounds like I'm debating when I'm not. apologies if it seems like I was arguing.

I'm just tired of people trying to attach deadlines to a Melo deal, not that you were. But I can see already ppl are saying mid-Decemnber might be a deadline Morey is setting for a Melo trade. It won't be. He'll make that trade at the deadline, too.

My point is that the added flexibility executing a trade two months prior to the trade deadline is minor. So minor, Morey has actually only made one trade like that in his entire tenure as Rockets GM. That was Brewer and Shved on Dec 19th, 2014. And even then, he did not even use the flexibility of aggregating them in a retrade at the deadline. Shved was traded straight up for Prigioni at the trade deadline exactly two months later, but he wasn't aggregated, thus that trade could have happened regardless to whether Shved arrived on Dec 19th or Jan 19th.

Further, the new CBA makes salary matching so much easier than before, aggregating is less of an issue than before.

So, because Morey has never actually used the added flexibility he was talking about, and further he says it's rare for other GMs to do trades at that "deadline," I wanted to point out that I think Morey motivations for saying that to Woj are about something else. Seems like he might always want to convince other GMs to think about that "deadline," just so he gets trades done sooner...for coaching and chemistry reasons. It will have zero impact on us if we get Melo, since we won't take another contract and we won't retrade Melo. But he could be planting seeds in the minds of other GMs to do the trade sooner, anyhow, to get Melo here sooner. Other GMs look to him as this CBA guru, so, who knows, they might say "Well, if Morey says trades two months before the trade deadline are better, let's go ahead and do this Melo trade now."

In summary,,,,I'm not trying to argue what he said, as I heard it too, and agree he was talking about the 2 month wait to aggregate a player in trade. But, he's never once done that before....so, it's a minor point he's making, no? Then I listed possible ways you'd want to do it. But it won't affect our flexibility with the Melo trade, so Morey won't actually use that as a Melo deadline. But when the day comes, everyone will be F5ing like it's now or never, nonetheless.

5. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

jacoby

Harden seems like such a douche.

[​IMG]

Mathrocker

Why?

Ball hog, doesn't play D, hangs at tittie bars, has to have an elaborate signature celebration, celebrates a singe play in a game the team is losing, wears weird cloths and seems overly concerned with his looks....
    There are plenty of reasons to say he SEEMS like a douche.

But luckily for James, he plays for our Rockets. So instead of douche possibilities he is the greatest player in the history of sports. If you doubt or disparaige that, you sir are the douche. Any questions!

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Holy mother of Tarzan TLDR

7. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Yes sooner is better please.

8. basketballholic

1. Because he's better. Black has a better nose for the ball. Black has higher bball iq. He's simply the better player. (Nothing against Withey, he's a good defensive 5.)

2. Also, in that situation Morey is always going to pursue the guy that he already knows that was here before as long as that guy fit in, worked, and performed well. And Black did all those things with an exclamation point.

3. Black accepted a deal that makes it possible to trade him at the deadline if need be. Black got paid double to accept those terms. Withey, no doubt, would have accepted that contract too. We preferred Black, I think primarily because of 1 and 2.

If Withey gets an oportunity in Dallas he will perform well. He's got great athleticism for a big. Good length combined with very good hops. He covers the backboard well. Better rim protector than Black because of his length. Not as instinctive nor assertive as Black on the glass. And overall Black exceeds Withey's defensive impact.

As you should know, when we released Black I was desperately wanting to keep him. I wanted to either trade Terrence or just cut Terrence loose in favor of keeping Black. Because I see things in Black's game that I love.

Chuck Hayes was one of my favorite players ever. Because of how he played the game. I absolutely loved watching Hayes play because of his extremely high basketball iq and his ability to simply make a whole pack of winning plays every time he was on the court. One of my favorite all time moments in the 40 years I've spent watching games was the game where Hayes tied KG up in knots, just totally shut him down, and we walked away from them in that game.

Black reminds me of Hayes in so many ways. He's just one of those guys that knows how to move and where to move on the court. He's got that basketball brain that you look for, to go with a very powerful, if somewhat compact body.

In my opinion, Black has 98-99% of Hayes' defensive potential while giving you the added bonus of being a much better rebounder, and on the offensive end he just has the knack for making the right play like Hayes did, except he's 6'9" with very good hops and can go finish.

Frankly, to me Black is a better basketball player than Capela. (Yeah, I know everybody gonna say I'm hating on Capela again. I don't care.) He isn't as long. No doubt he doesn't get the elevation Capela gets. But I'm sorry when it comes to making winning basketball plays I think he trounces Capela. And I'd be fine with trading Capela and starting Black in his place. You will say that's because I hate Capela. I don't. I just don't think Capela is a difference-maker. It's more to do with how much I like Black.

He'll never be an All-Star. At least I don't think so. But he's the guy that can drive the opposing team all-stars nuts because he forces them to have to work much harder than they want to and then at the end of the game he has effectively neutralized them with his own play.

When I think about matching up with Draymond Green at the 5 in the Warriors small-ball death lineup, the first player on our roster I think of is Tarik Black. That's the matchup I want to see. Not Capela. Not Nene. Not Tucker, LMAM, or Trevor. Tarik Black. Black has the quickness and power to deal with Draymond defensively and to make Draymond have to work defensively himself because Black will burn him if Green attempts to help away. And Black has the perfect non-chalent emotionless demeanor to not respond to Greens constant antics that he uses to great effect to shake up, disturb, and demoralize opponents. Black will just go make a play and run back to the other end like nothing happened, totally ignoring Green while playing his game. Since we didn't get Jordan Bell, Black is, in my opinion, the consolation prize. Bell is quicker with much more upside. Black is the higher bball iq right now. I'll take him in lieu of not getting Bell.

You asked for it. Read the book I just wrote you. Call me crazy. But Black is one of the most underrated players in the Association.

This video is full of winning plays. Just one right after another. Yes it's a highlight reel. But watch what Black is doing before the highlight and after the highlight. That's why I like him so much. Always in the right place at the right time, varying his speed and angles. The only thing better would be to watch all of his defensive movement in a video. My kind of player.

#6728 basketballholic, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Deuce, s3ts, dduong5 and 3 others like this.
  9. rockets13champs

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I enjoyed your 'book'. Points 1, 2, and 3 to me are that I do not trust Withey. Issues off the court and lapses into oncourt dunderheadedness. Yet, coming out of SelfLand I thought he'd be a decent rotation player. Mavs just looking to find some lightning in any bottle out there.

Gotta say that to my viewing pleasure you overrate Black and underrate Capela. BTW - - I have wondered if TB was brought in to fill the CC role w/CC ticketed to RinoLand's Melo trade???

Changing the bigs subject: from a talent and scheme perspective, would Frye be a fit in MDA's H-town team?

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The man can shoot, but lift? None. Quick release? Not of a basketball.

12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I read the book holic and you have a few good points in there. Especially about my high school rival chuck wagon ..

Anyways ignoring the capela statement I actually think the part about draymond has value. Obviously Black isn't the player he is but it was an interesting matchup even when he was w the lakers... not sure Dan Tony will opt for that over tucker or LMAM.....Nice to have our depth nevertheless .... I think our death lineup counter will be CP3 JH Riza Tucker LMAM. My worry is without Capela in there our interior D and rebounding will suffer too much to overcome. I would prob have Capela instead of Moute

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Glue guy.

14. rockets13champs

Wot?

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

ever watch that man shoot the rock?

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

True. But he's the team captain, clutch the bear, head recruiter and director of Ops for the rox. :D

17. rockets13champs

He not a guy who plays. He is team chemistry guy, lead recruiter, probably a player-coach. If he can't get a spot on roster I'm trying to sign him as an assistant coach

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I didn't read the book because after the first few lines, I realized that it was rehashed stuff from your insider news letter. Why the **** am I paying $29.99 per month if you're giving away such information for free? I am going to unsubscribe shortly

Pen15clubber and ilovehtownbb like this.
  19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's fine, no prob. I like the guy, too. It's just obvious why he's not an NBA (rotation) level player. Better than Jack Haley, tho. Or LBJ's caddy.

20. rockets13champs