1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Summer League] Zhou Qi Highlight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheMystery008, Jul 7, 2017.

1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

He's exactly where the Rockets thought he'd be right now. Needs to refine and add muscle. Pretty standard for a young bigman. Luckily we have him for 4 years, so we know we'll get to see who he becomes while he's still under contract. Nothing but positives here, and I do think his trade value went up big time after people saw his potential in summer league. Great move by the Wizard.

2. basketballholic

Being from China means nothing to me. It's about basketball skills and can he help us win championships?

Tucker is a vet. We know his defensive potential. No intrigue there. And we know exactly what CP3 is too.

With Paul, Harden, Melo, Gordon, Ariza, Tucker, LMAM, I don't see how we can consider Qi for any other position to be prioritized into besides a new age center that can cover wings on switches.

3. Le$$

Le$$ Member

The question everyone wants to know is he going to be better than Yi, and have fundamentals like yao. I say yes to Yi, if he works on his game, develops a outside shot. His wing span is nice for his size. Hes gonna block some shots, but i dont see him getting any real playing time this year, unless hes like a chinese sensation in the dleague or something...

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We know what Tucker should provide, but haven't seen him provide it in person, on this squad, and how he'll fit in with various lineups.
    We know what CP3 has done in his career, but no one knows how the fit with Harden and CP3 will be.

Those types of questions - lineup, fit, can they keep up their pace offensively while being better defensively, etc, etc are way more intriguing then Qi at this point, imo.

He's obviously a "big" that CAN be put at the center position, but having watched him play, he's not a center, imo.

But we'll see. I'm not sold he's an NBA rotation player, nevermind at what position.

5. JayZ750

Yi was the domestic Chinese league MVP for like 4 straight years. Granted Yi did contribute in the NBA, if not anywhere close to where fans had hoped, he could at least have carved a backup role for awhile as an NBAer.

But just pointing out, so far, Qi has not been anywhere close to as prolific in China as Yi has. Of course, Qi is MUCH younger and hasn't hit his peak yet.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wonder what kind of impact Qi would have on G-League viewership if he were to play there most of the season.

7. basketballholic

Not to me. I'm not worried about the chemistry and fit of who we acquired. I know they're gonna jive just fine. Different strokes, different folks.

8. JayZ750

Worry is too strong I word. I didn't say worried. Intrigued. Those storylines are way more intriguing to me then what happens to Qi.

9. basketballholic

Here's what's gonna happen. Paul and Harden are gonna share the ball as matchups dictate. They're gonna put both their huge basketball noggins together along with MDA's huge bball noggin, and produce offensive basketball genius. Then they are gonna rest alternatively while the other runs the show alone against opponent second teamers and both guys will feast. I mean, there's no intrigue to that. Just excitement at the spectacular playmaking we're gonna see.

Intrigue is seeing what Qi looks like defensively alongside the rotation guys against legit NBA opponents.

Different strokes, different folks. I'm definitely looking forward to Paul and Harden but not from any wonderment, rather because I know we're going to see great combo play.

skroodup25 likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When is this? 2017?
    I don't think so, 2018 or 2019.

11. basketballholic

Maybe. I'm not willing to rule anything out at this point. I want to see Qi in pre-season. If you like Capela then you remember what happened with him come playoff time and where he was at when the season began. No reason to believe that's not possible a second time........ESPECIALLY IF THE ORGANIZATION WANTS IT TO BE SO.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

This guy is not Capella. He's not strong at all.
    I saw him play in Vegas, he's not a power dunker, he's a shooter (but he can't hit a thing when I saw him).

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

can you predict his avgs on the dleague this year?

14. basketballholic

I'm glad he's not Capela.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

he's not the same type of player, he has flashes of defense but he's not a quick as Capela.
    He likes to jack up 3s and he hangs around the 3 point line.

16. basketballholic

Sorry but that's wrong. Qi is quicker than Capela.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Nope not the dude I saw in person at summer league with other Clutchfans

18. basketballholic

Go back to the CBL where he knew what he was doing and compare his quickness to Capela. Summer league, where he didn't know what he was doing is not representative of his quickness.

Qi is both quicker and faster than Capela.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm not attending any Chinese league games.

Go to the G league game and see him for yourself instead on the internet mix tapes.

Summer league, he was not quick, blame it on whatever you want

20. basketballholic

This video is chock-full of defensive quickness. I have no idea what you were watching.