1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Thai restaurant in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GlenDice, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Buck Turgidson

Just thought of one for the Austin peeps: Sway. Not totally authentic thai, but amazing. Get a reservation for the bar. Order the duck.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You need a reservation to sit at the bar? Sounds cool (not sarcasm). I need to start a Google Doc on places to eat in different cities I can access anytime from my phone. That would be great. But I know myself, I'll never do it. Lazy.

3. Buck Turgidson

I don't think they have an actual "bar", it's more like you get to sit behind a little glass partition and watch the chefs. Some of it is sushi-style stuff, but some is duck and pork and shellfish being prepared right in front of you.

It may have changed in the past year, but try it regardless.

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I love Khun Kay Thai on Montrose. Very unassuming, very affordable, super fresh and tasty. I can only speak for the vegan menu though as I have that particular eating disorder. They serve food for normal people too.

Nidda Thai on Westheimer is also a favorite.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I tried Songkran and it was pretty good. Thai basil chicken

6. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Bumping an old thread

For those working Downtown, a new restaurant opened called "Time for Thai by Thai Cottage". It's located in the basement of the KBR building.

Had it twice this week. Although selection is small, everything I've had has been pretty good for lunch

7. So Good

So Good Member

My favorite is Asia Market near the Heights. Very small Asian food mart that has a restaurant section.

Their papaya salad is amazing.

8. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

Live in this area. Khun Kay Thai wings are awesome! not too crazy about the other things ive tried there. On the other hand, tried many things at Nidda and loved them all.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Finally came to Thai Gourmet. Got the green curry thai spicy and holy **** the spiciness is like no other. It's so delicious though.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thai Aroy off Fairbanks N Houston. If youre in the northwest side of town, this place is small but authentic and good.

11. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Went to Thai Gourmet twice last couple of months and it doesn't taste as good as it used to.

Recently was a few days ago and the chicken texture was inconsistent. Some pieces tasted fresh and soft, while others were rough and dry. The dish looked the same, but I can't pinpoint exactly why it didn't taste good.

They might be a victim of their own success. Streamlined the process to bring the dishes to the customers faster. This usually lowers the quality.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Lololol vag

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

heypartner and Deckard like this.
  14. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I've been here recently. It was ace.

OldManBernie and prohibido like this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Everyone in the area tells me they're the best. I've been trying to get them on Waitr... but no dice so far.

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Was in the area late afternoon yesterday, and tried out a hole in the wall called Banh Somtum on 249 (Tomball Parkway) between N Houston Rosslyn & Antoine

https://www.yelp.com/biz/banh-somtum-houston-3

I had Boat Noodle Soup and shared Papaya Salad and their Steamed Seafood (shrimp, mussels, squid, etc steamed with ginger and basil, with a really good dipping sauce). Was fantastic and priced really well.

The place calls itself Thai / Laotian

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Thai gourmet expanded, but waits are still kind of long, but its the best thai food in Houston and I have been to all major thai places in Houston. Chinese food is bland compared to Thai food. When I was thailand the food isn't as spicy as american places.

18. hvic

hvic Member

I usually go to Thai Gourmet maybe once a week and for some reason they are always open tables around 730. There food can be extremely spicy

19. droxford

droxford Member

I have always loved Konnomwan's coconut chicken soup (Tom Ka Gai), but DAMN it's expensive (three years ago, it was $10 for small, $16 for large). Is there another Thai restaurant that serves equally-good (if not better) Tom Ka Gai and doesn't cost so much?

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Not in Houston, and based on my extensive research........not in America. The only place I've had one that might be better was Thailand, and even then, it was just at one of many restaurants we visited.