1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Pacers are trying to stay alive, taking on Brunson and the Knicks in Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Knicks, Rockets working on Carmelo Anthony trade scenarios

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

here's an edited version of Mexican Stand-off gif that i made. CFnet riveted to watching

[​IMG]

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That RealGM blurb you posted actually misquotes the Zach Lowe article it references. The RealGM blurb says two teams were demanding 2 FRPs, suggesting these were two teams Morey tried to engage in discussions. If you click the link at the bottom to the Lowe article it's discussing, he says two random GMs told him they "would have demanded" 2 FRPs to take Ryan. Not quite the same.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup, I agree. I think cap space is their end goal, but that being a reasonable and attainable goal is based on the faulty premise that Melo should be valued as an expiring contract — which I don't think is the case anymore.

Big picture, here's what I think is going on: Talks between the Rockets and Knicks got serious starting June 28, as reported by Shelburne, because CP3 officially going to Houston made them become Melo's preference. I think the Rockets made it clear that Ryan would be the main piece from their side, and while the Knicks didn't see Ryan as a fit for them (partly based on contract, partly based on position overlap with Porzingis), I don't think either HOU or NYK thought that moving Ryan to a third team for contracts expiring earlier would be all that difficult. This is because Ryan remains a quality basketball player, and while his salary is/was somewhat bloated, A) bigs are always paid a premium, especially those that can shoot and B) many folks just assumed that salaries handed out in July 2016 were the "new norm" in terms of the new CBA. I don't think either side thought it would THIS difficult to move him for a return NYK could stomach.

That said, I don't think Houston was "all in" on finalizing Melo in late June, because they still wanted to see what happened with Paul George. Also, I think both teams wanted to see what would happen in the first few days of July — when the Rockets landed P.J. Tucker, and the Knicks Tim Hardaway Jr. — and finalize the terms of a Melo deal after they had a more clear picture of what each roster would look like. (In other words, I think both HOU and NYK proceeded under the assumption that a Melo-to-Houston deal was likely, but before finalizing the players involved, it was probably smarter to see how the rest of each roster filled out. No real harm in waiting a few days.)

However, what became clear in July is that Ryan's deal (and others like it in July 2016) are more of an outlier than most expected. Between the cap coming in smaller than expected and projections for it to flatten out in the years ahead, deals were substantially lower than expected across the board... and that lowers Ryan's proportionate value. Ironically, the ONLY team in July 2017 that didn't seem to get the memo was the Knicks based on the $71M Hardaway Jr. signing... and perhaps that's why they were so confident to tell Carmelo and other players after the THJ deal that Carmelo would be dealt to Houston. They still didn't seem to get it.

But in the coming days, they finally seemed to get it, because Ryan's lower proportionate value meant getting 2018 cap space in a three- or four-team proposal was pretty much impossible... and that's probably why they seemed taken aback by the offers. At that point, since the only real "deadline" is when training camp starts in mid-to-late September... they figured there's no harm in pulling back and waiting to see if anything might change the market over the next few weeks.

There's one catch with all of this, though. The very same market forces that are making Ryan Anderson have less value than HOU/NYK expected are also pushing Carmelo to opt in in June 2018... which similarly diminishes Carmelo's value. In other words, while NYK could reasonably argue that they should get cap space for Carmelo on a 1-year, $26M deal, I don't know that they can on a 2-year, $54M deal. Then you add in all the other extenuating circumstances of this case, including the NTC and the threat of Carmelo going nuclear if NYK goes back on its word, and I think it's clear the odds are in favor of NYK ultimately accepting the "new reality" and this getting done.

That said... you're right, the chance it doesn't is certainly more than 1%. Logic says this happens, but James Dolan's Knicks are often the complete opposite of that.

#4863 The Cat, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

SuperKev implied that i made the story up about 2FRP's as part of some negative agenda, and this was just the first link that came up on google about what i saw posted here earlier in the summer.

and whatever the exact details and semantics are in this case, my only point is that ryno's contract quite obviously has negative value around the league

5. aroundtheblock2

I think Melo will get traded or bought out. There's no way Melo will allow the Knicks to waste one of the few precious years he has left in his career. He'll raise utter hell all the way if the Knicks haven't dealt him before the start of this season.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

What does that have to do with what I said. Specifically for Zhou Qi, it's either August 4th or 5th. I can't remember which day.

7. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

That's how I feel and I remember a report indicating he wanted his departure to run smoothly...I think he's being nice and professional for the moment, but I think he will indeed get aggressive at some point if Knicks are unwilling to accommodate him...

Bottom line, the Knicks need a reminder what a no trade clause means, they put it on his contract...So what exactly did the Knicks think a no trade clause meant..???

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Bro, if you are going to talk about trade ideas just go to the threads that are title "Random Rockets trade ideas".

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Correct, and every day this drags on that will be fewer teams with the cap space to facilitate as the 3rd (or even 4th) team. Knicks' stubbornness is actually limiting their options and strengthening the position of the 3rd team.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

12. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

When I see no news report and people are still talking about things on CFs... being all happy and sh*t

[​IMG]

13. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Reddick is worse because he is getting older and slower. Also, he has to guard shooting guards who are more of an offensive threat than todays power forwards.

If he were ryans age he would have gotten 3/60 easily.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

If Beard is going to adapt well playing off ball this can be huge for us, not sure most of people gets how great that could be for us...

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sry, just meant to agree with you that Zhou likely isn't the issue....I actually typed that part and deleted, because didn't want to distract from Aug 4th being about Josh Jackson.

and fwiw: pretty sure Zhou signed the same day as Nene on July 6th. Remember we had that complication with Nene. NBA.com reported July 6th as well. So Zhou would be 5th or 4th as you say, depending upon how you count 30-days.

#4875 heypartner, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. rockpileindisma

Ur a poosay

jnuge90 likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

His profile has always looked that way from what I recall.

SC1211 likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not if he had ryan's extensive injury history, matador defense at ryan's age, inability to shoot at home, and coming off 28% on 3's in the playoffs

roslolian likes this.
  19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Clearly in Miami for the club scene not actual practice. Pfftt.. Probably the back of treasures and this is photoshopped.

Amiright?

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He's a fkin ghost pleh

ISOBall likes this.