1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-Mac "Anybody can win a championship, Everybody can't get in the hall of fame"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Daddy Long Legs, Jul 29, 2017.

?

Is T-mac right?

1. No he's not right, I'm with Tinman

81 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Yes he's right, I'm with swyyyguy

111 vote(s)
    57.8%
  1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Tracy had amazing numbers, but nothing else. Lebron didn't have anything in Cleveland during his 1st stint and carried them every single season. People cannot seriously excuse Tracy for never carrying a Rockets team or Magic team past the 1st round. HOF talent won games when it mattered, Tracy didn't. Even freaking Iverson, the notorious ball hog and putting up crazy numbers, did more.

rockpileindisma and Jontro like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey tmac fans "what if" is never fact
    An entire NBA career is

Jontro likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

The T-Mac Equivalent

Rocket River

tinman likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

Iverson had heart and leadership
    And he led the sixers to the finals
    Jason Kidd led the nets

Hell even Dwight led the magic something tmac never did

Till the end of time , Tracy mcgrady never won a playoff series as a starter who played minutes in a playoff series.

Never is reality

Five billion years from now, advanced beings won't find evidence that mcgrady led the rockets to a playoff series win

Think about that for a second

Never

Zero playoff series victories

Tha_Dude likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. tinman

Supporting Member

FACT: There is evidence Dinosaurs roamed the Earth.
    FACT: Tracy McGrady NEVER led the Rocket to a playoff series victory as a starter.

[​IMG]

Tha_Dude likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

Tracy McGrady fans saying "What if Tracy was on another team, he would have won a championship"
    would NEVER make it a reality.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Can't believe he would claim he wasn't blessed with a great team when the topic of rings comes up. Absolutely childish from someone who has undeservedly been treated like royalty.
    Tmac is not criticized for not winning rings, no one goes around saying that about him. He's criticized because he couldn't lead his team at all in the playoffs. He just tried to overstep the fact that he hasn't won a playoff series in his career, and that's on him, not injuries or his team.

This dude was my favorite player for the longest time, all through Orlando and Houston; I never turned on him after any of the disappointing first round exits. But the way he handled himself in his final year in Houston and everything that followed, the way he talks now, just ridiculous. Don't back him one bit. Its funny how people on here try to justify his playoff failures, and blaming it on his team is so absurd.

With the Magic he lost to the Bucks in the first round. He should have been the best player in that series. He lost to the Charlotte Hornets in the first round. He was suppose to be the best player in that series. He blew a 3-1 lead to the Pistons in the first round. Then in Houston, blows a 2-0 lead (with 3 of the next 5 at home!) to the Mavs, where he was again suppose to be the best player in that series (quite obvious now Dirk was the best). Then he blows another 2-0 lead to the Jazz and home in Game 7, and of course, who was suppose to be the best player in that series? The year after that Yao was injured, and by then he clearly showed he wasn't able to overcome a challenge like that.

I know a lot of those series his team wasn't the favorites or expected to win, but to be the best player in competition you have to overcome one of those challenges. The funny thing is if he had pulled off just one series victory, the Dallas one, Detroit one, or the first Utah series, the whole narrative would be different. And while that may not sound fair, he has said such ridiculous statements since then that he doesn't deserve a pass.

tinman, ElPigto and OTMax like this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Kinda true right now. Just sign with the warriors and you will win one.

David West Javale McGee

aroundtheblock2 likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

i don't remember him sounding stupid when he opened his mouth tho.

fba34 likes this.
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Finally someone gets it!

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Looks like @swyyyguy ran away with the poll.

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This is basically what it all comes down to in these discussions, emotional fans making sports about individuals instead of the team and then putting the blame on the star instead of the complete roster and role players.

It shows a stunning lack of sports knowledge and proves that you guys don't understand how his game works. Asked a ton of times for people to compare the rosters of those ORL/HOU teams to their opponents and everyone, especially the most vocal posters here, all shy away from it and resort to their idiotic Stephen A. Smith-esque statements.

Those teams were utter sh**, McGrady put up great numbers, but one player alone can't carry a team when the talent difference is too drastic. Everything else in these discussions is absolute nonsense.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, sometimes I really think why should we bother......the man is retired and can say what he wants now.

as long as his mouth does not harm anyone

Pounder likes this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ha. Sounds like you just don't want to admit Mcgradys shortcomings. The Jazz team for example, talent difference? I remember those teams clearly, yeah the Jazz were solid and Deron and Boozer were big time, but we're talking Okur and Kirilineko and Fisher, not Draymond and Klay. The talent difference that SHOULD have been the one that mattered was the difference between good players like Deron Williams and Boozer and great players like Mcgrady.

Patience and tinman like this.
  16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yeap, they really did a huge number on Yao. Okur, Boozer spread him out like butter. :(

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Are we going to forget that James Harden just like TMac quit on your Houston Rockets?

Will he get a free pass if he never wins a championship as a Rocket for quitting?

Snow Villiers likes this.
  18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Stars get credit for wins and losses, that's how it is. It also comes with the territory of being the best player and the team looks for you to lead. Of course T-Mac isn't solely to blame, but he and you among other fans should then not be surprised that me and plenty with me feel he's not HOF worthy and claim he should have at least lead one team past the 1st round. Harden, MJ, Kobe, Durant, Lebron they would've in my opinion. You can say part of these discussions is nonsense but it's all subjective so moving on.

tinman likes this.
  19. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

What he is saying is obviously true but he sounds a bit like a brat for saying it.

He probably should have gotten the Magic through at least once although I don't remember much about his supporting cast back then.

His time with the Rockets was also disappointing. Clearly should have gotten past dallas in 05. There was definitely was ref shenanigans though. The Jazz series were brutal. Boozer got away with murder. It was a poor matchup.

I realize this might upset people but a lot of the arguments about TMac could be partially made for Yao as well. Aside from the quitting on the team thing of course.

We did beat Portland that one year, but aside from that he was supposed to lead us to greater things as well. I would argue he was at least partially to blame.

Neither TMac nor Yao were ever terrible in the playoffs (and TMac was often brilliant) but their supporting cast was really awful for a few years. If prime TMac replaced Harden on the Rockets for the past 3 seasons you could make the argument we might have done better.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel free to compare the rosters, like I invited everyone to do.

I'm only seeing subjective bs posts here where no one is actually comparing the players and how they performed throughout the whole series.
    Look at the 08 series:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280502026

McGrady with great performances, everyone except for Scola utter sh** and throwing up brick after brick. But I guess it was somehow McGrady's fault as well, did his aura make them brick everything?
    Bobby Jackson chucked up 27% fg and a 20.3pt%, but somehow I don't see anyone mentioning him. What about Luther Head? 7% field goal percentage, yes, this is not a typo.
    Aaron Brooks? 32 fg% and ZERO percent on 3s.

At the same time, nearly all of the Jazz starting guys averaged double digits and the bench played well, I guess that's also McGrady's fault somehow?

Check the ESPN predictions here, at least they will defend the CF narrative of us being favourites for that series:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs2008/series?series=uthhou

Oh wait, EVERY.SINGLE.EXPERT predicted a Jazz series win, how come?

"But oh, what about Orlandooo? Up 3-1 and couldn't win against the Pistons?"
    Ah yea, how dare McGrady not win against Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace, Robinson, Okur etc, when the Orlando team consisted of monsters as Gooden, Armstrong, Giricek, Vaughn, DeClercq, Garrity and Whitney?
    And McGrady only averaged 31.7ppg,, 6.7rpg, 4.7 apg,, 2spg, 0.9bpg that series, what a darn scrub.

Seriously, it's brutal how little some people know when it comes to basketball and the team aspect in sports. It's extremely prevalent in US sports/fans somehow, probably because of media shoving down the "hero or zero" narrative down everyone's throats.
    I guess it's easier to follow a sport and talk about it when you reduce it to only the best player.

DudeWah and aroundtheblock2 like this.