1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBC] Trump boy scout Jamboree speech angers parents

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Jul 25, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Heh... president of Boy Scouts of America is also the CEO of AT&T... who needs Trump to approve an $85 billion takeover of Time Warner... more swampiness from Trump.

How Trump’s speech to the Boy Scouts could put AT&T’s CEO in a tricky spot
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-ceo-in-a-tricky-spot/?utm_term=.6d98bf071244

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree with you, JV. In the Boy Scouts, the Jamboree is a big deal. It's about every 4 years (I think) and in order to attend, parents have to shell out the bucks to travel to wherever it is. It's a big expense for the average family. I would be shocked if the vast majority had an inkling that trump might attend and make a bizarre campaign stump speech in front of 40,000 Scouts.

Whoops! Just saw that Buck addressed this and you responded in a good way (unsurprisingly).

I think that trump's behavior has become increasingly bizarre and unpredictable. The man seems to be getting more and more unstable, which is a bit frightening. His actions aren't making any sense. The Republicans I know, and I know several, can't understand the man's actions in any sphere. trump's most effective cabinet appointee in getting his "agenda" in place (which I oppose, of course, but no matter), Sessions, is the same man that trump is now attacking in daily Twitter tantrums. In 6 months, trump has accomplished one thing worth mentioning, and this despite the efforts of Sessions on trump's behalf. He got a Scalia-type fellow onto the Supreme Court. That's it. Every other so-called accomplishment has arguably been damaging either to the people of this country, our friends and allies, or both. Frequently both.

Trump openly stated that he is the most "presidential" president since Lincoln. He is seriously cracking up. We shouldn't have a crazy individual as President of the United States, but that appears to be the case, and he is getting worse by the day. We are in trouble as a nation, people. trump is the biggest problem this country has, bar none. That covers a lot of territory.

#102 Deckard, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO you really think that was a written down and thought out speech?

No that was Donald looking at Pence and saying "Here take my beer" and dropping verbal diarrhea all over a bunch of children instead of his therapist.

4. NewRoxFan

Days late(r), the BSA apology...

The complete statement:
    Scouting Family,
    In the last two weeks, we have celebrated the best of Scouting at our 20th National Jamboree with nearly 40,000 participants, volunteers, staff and visitors. The 2017 National Jamboree has showcased and furthered the Scouting mission by combining adventure and leadership development to give youth life-changing experiences. Scouts from Alaska met Scouts from Alabama; Scouts from New Mexico met those from New York, and American youth met youth from 59 other countries.
    Over the course of ten days, Scouts have taken part in adventures, learned new skills, made new and lasting friendships and completed over 200 community service projects that offered 100,000 hours of service to the community by young men and women eager to do the right thing for the right reasons.
    These character-building experiences have not diminished in recent days at the jamboree – Scouts have continued to trade patches, climb rock walls, and share stories about the day’s adventures. But for our Scouting family at home not able to see these real moments of Scouting, we know the past few days have been overshadowed by the remarks offered by the President of the United States.
    I want to extend my sincere apologies to those in our Scouting family who were offended by the political rhetoric that was inserted into the jamboree. That was never our intent. The invitation for the sitting U.S. President to visit the National Jamboree is a long-standing tradition that has been extended to the leader of our nation that has had a Jamboree during his term since 1937. It is in no way an endorsement of any person, party or policies. For years, people have called upon us to take a position on political issues, and we have steadfastly remained non-partisan and refused to comment on political matters. We sincerely regret that politics were inserted into the Scouting program.
    While we live in a challenging time in a country divided along political lines, the focus of Scouting remains the same today as every day.
    Trustworthiness, loyalty, kindness and bravery are just a few of the admirable traits Scouts aspire to develop – in fact, they make up the Scout Oath and Scout Law.
    As part of our program’s duty to country, we teach youth to become active citizens, to participate in their government, respect the variety of perspectives and to stand up for individual rights.
    Few will argue the importance of teaching values and responsibility to our youth — not only right from wrong, but specific positive values such as fairness, courage, honor and respect for others.
    For all of the adventure we provide youth such as hiking, camping and zip-lining, those activities actually serve as proven pathways and opportunities to develop leadership skills and become people of character.
    In a time when differences seem to separate our country, we hope the true spirit of Scouting will empower our next generation of leaders to bring people together to do good in the world.
    Yours in Scouting,
    Mike
    http://time.com/4876705/donald-trump-boy-scout-jamboree-speech/

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

BTW, I do think it is good for the BSA leadership to apologize (albeit late). Though I also think the apology was somewhat weak (seem to blame those offended and didn't take ownership for it happening, nor point to what might be done in the future to prevent politicizing in the future, guidelines or screening).

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I could imagine 40,000 conservative boy scouts jamming to a naughty by nature song. Just doesn't seem coherent.

#106 Liberon, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

9. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

10. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Reported. Not for the content itself, but for lack of content spamming, multiple posts in a row, high bandwidth.
    Change quickly if you want to hang here.

12. conquistador#11

The bots have taken over. After speaking with my generals and other war advisors, I'm evacuating Katy! I will miss that churromania shop.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

seriously wtf is this ****.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

IDK, I saw this thread after I heard the news and I already figured what I would see. I do admit I barely bothered to scroll through and read a bunch of opinions I would inevitably disagree with.

I'm an Eagle Scout myself, and it disheartens me the way BSA has been portrayed in the national media the past 5-10 years. So maybe I just felt like being a jackass for 10 mins. After all it is the hangout right? Lighten the hell up.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's the Hangout: Debate & Discussion, and it's deadly serious.

smitheygerard likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it's still striking that they had to apologize for Two Scoops -- don't think that's happened with any other president visiting the boy scouts.

Probably explains why the bots were out to clog the thread too. Welcome to the modern age, even on our cherished BBS.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh. You're an Eagle Scout. You must be a good boy. Probably think that Obama is evil because he didn't visit your jamboree a few years back.

18. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

So now we are bashing people for being Eagle Scouts and assuming they are all racist conservatives?

Cool. You're real mature.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Then act like one.

20. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

It appears I ruffled a few feathers with some Trump pics and my dangerous opinions. I'll be sure to get in line Mussolini.