1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prayers for Senator McCain (diagnosed with brain cancer)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jul 19, 2017.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I didn't read too much into it but that seems to be the logical answer tbh. Path error sounds likely, but hey some fortunate person out there may have had an incredibly favorable mutation that responded to chemo/rads.

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

2-3 months vs 12-14 months , easy call

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That 12-14 months is not the 12-14 months of other cancers. The memory loss, depersonalization, then no recollection of who you are sets in. Over time you can't control your bodily functions, won't recognize loved ones. It is one of the nastiest progressions I have ever seen. The only positive outcome is that you are too far gone to understand your deterioration. Decompensating cirrhotics and GBM patients are the most difficult to watch, and I have a pretty high threshold.

If somebody chooses no chemo/rads I wouldn't blame them, in fact that's probably what I would do.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Credit where it's due, this was a really awesome thing to say.

5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Best wishes to McCain and his family.

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

RIP for your lost loved one ,

this is a myth unfortunately ,i wish cancer was painful so ppl would noticed it earlier but it's not a common manifestation and all cancers types late stages about equal
    depends on many factors on how he is going to respond, but typically like in this case on temozolomide/temodal,the 1st week is ok,2nd not so much,3rd will feel better ,palliative management will ease most of the pain

statically he has a big chance of having relatively speaking (mild) side effect especially if combined with radiations like vomiting, constipation, and hematologic toxicity, thrombocytopenia = all side effects can be minimized with pause-dosage change-medication

about ~50% he may have neurological complication of weakness ,numbness ,seizure etc ,but only ~20% may suffer from memory loss, ( and most of them they would be aware of their memory loss and they do try to avoid questions ) . over all , this won't be enough to shut down the person's , and this will be re-assessed again probably after 6-8 month when a recurrence take place

#27 Exiled, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It is appointed once for man to die...

It's not shocking considering his age that the sun is setting now on John McCain, but I feel sadness for him and for his family that his final years were spent being slandered by radicals that took over his party.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I know he isn't perfect, no one is, but John McClain is a class act as far as senators go. (I can't speak to his personal life)

gatsby, Yung-T, REEKO_HTOWN and 5 others like this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

i hope his recovery now goes well .

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn. Echo the thoughts wishing him peace and dignity in this next phase. If he beats the odds, it won't be the first time. But if he doesn't, I hope he gets good advice and lots of time with his family. God bless him.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Prayers for Senator McCain and his family. I can't imagine what they are going through right now.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I am optimistic regarding him finishing his term. Safe to say this is a huge moment for the GOP and Trump's presidency

All the best

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Sad to hear. I guess this would explain some of his jumbled speech earlier this year.

I certainly disagreed with his rush to send troops when conflicts came about but there's no doubt he's a man of high character who loves his country. I wish he'd run for President much earlier than he did. Peace to him and his family.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Wasn't there a thread a while back making fun McCain during a hearing? I would assume this would have something to do with his cognitive ability that day.

Yung-T likes this.
  18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Have to say, all of the ridicule he faced after that hearing is in a new light now.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People were perplexed by his questioning during Comey's hearing which his staff chalked up to staying up too late the night before watching the Diamondbacks. Now that we know this, all snark should be disregarded. McCain is a good, decent statesman who deserves our prayers during this time.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sad for McCain. I have a lot of respect for him. Also sad for us, because he's been taking a principled stand in the Senate during a precarious time. I'd like to keep him for 3 more years, but that doesn't look possible.

If he resigns, I think the governor appoints a replacement until the next election.

justtxyank likes this.