1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Carmelo Anthony to sign with Rockets if buyout reached

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RKREBORN, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

2. AkeemOlaDROwon

Depends on how you look at it. If Morey is thinking banana boat and adding Lebron next year, Rox will need a sign and trade for Melo to keep his bird rights so we can go over the cap to resign him.

bilaal14 and papoose115 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

The Cavs are clearly 2nd in Melo's mind now. If the Cavs somehow completed a deal for him, he won't say "no," but the Rockets are his main priority.

bilaal14 and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

My wet dream... Melo is bought out, we sign him cheap. Ryno boosts his value somewhat by hitting some frickin 3's during the regular season and we trade his butt and pick(s) for Serge Ibaka..... I know I am dreaming but da...yum can you imagine:

CP3/Harden
    Harden/EGo
    Melo/Ariza
    Ibaka/Melo
    Capela/Ibaka/Nene

So many different offensive and defensive combos we could run with that squad!

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Morey is a true professional. At a time where uncertainty with the new regime change, how new owner will like him etc. He continues to push the brand forward. Morey should always stay a Rocket.

6. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Can someone please change the name of this thread? Every time I read it i think melo to sign with rockets :mad:

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Take Ibaka out and that looks pretty good!

8. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

9. papoose115

papoose115 Member

i dont get why we want melo to agree to a buyout? im thinking long term here and if he comes to rockets after buyout then we still dont have his bird rights. that means we cant go over cap to sign him back. if we trade for him and have him and cp3 come off teh books next season, we can still chase lebron and wade and then go over cap to sign back cp3 and melo right? wouldnt that be the possibility to chase?

10. aroundtheblock2

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don't think it matters much tbh

CP3's cap hold would be around 36 mil, and Melo's would be around 38 mil, then u have Harden's 30 mil on the books as well with the cap projected to be at 101 mil

you're gonna have to renounce CP3 and Melo's cap holds in order to create space which means u lose their Bird Rights and the ability to go over the cap to re-sign them

12. papoose115

papoose115 Member

so... chances of possibly having the bananaboat party in houston next year is highly unlikely?? im still confused on how the cap works and what cap holds are...

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Can't wait for Houston vs Portland.... Want to see these stars they keep talking about...

14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Tried to go through & issues likes to those who reported/stuck up for me -- if I missed anyone, please know it was appreciated. :)

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Report: Carmelo Anthony tells Knicks he does not want to come back to team

Deuce, Tfor3, DonKnock and 7 others like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

guys would have to take HUGE paycuts

A cap hold is an amount of money that is charged to a team’s salary cap number even though the player is not under contract and has become a free agent. For CP3 and Melo I believe it is 150% of what their salary for the year is.

CP3 will make around 24 mil so 150% of that is how I got to around 36 mil for his cap hold.

Melo will be making around 26 mil and 150% of that is 39 mil which I brought down to around 38 mil because that's what a max contract would start at and a player's cap hold can't exceed that max contract #.

So basically we would have 104 mil of salary on our books just with Harden's 30 mil and CP3 and Melo's cap holds. If we renounce their cap holds, then that 36 and 38 mil goes away, but we also lose their Bird Rights and can no longer go over the cap to re-sign them. We would only be able to sign them with our available cap space.

papoose115 likes this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

@Mr. Motiejunas

I think this is what you were waiting for

[​IMG]

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

In order to make the banana boat work, folks would have to take huge paycuts. Or there is always the unthinkable.....trade Harden.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Once again not new news, just piggybacking off Woj. Frustrated with the repetition.

jacoby likes this.
  20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

In respect to what they can make yes.. KD just took 9.5 MM less.

For Paul and Melo.. it would still be around what they make now annually