1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony expecting Knicks to resume trade talks, sources say

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

There's no question that Phil Jackson was a shitshow of a GM and arguably the Knicks will be a disaster for as long as Dolan owns them--but I think those are the issues, not whether or not they trade Melo.

3. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Perhaps but they look dumb. If I were a player, this is the last team I would play for

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Doing right by your players per their NTC contract speaks volumes. You make it happen.

Melo to Houston won't make players more likely to play for Knicks BUT doing right by your stars that want to leave- that speaks volumes

No Chance likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they ever hope to change their image, they have to stop being a joke first. You can't do that while holding a player hostage. You can bring in whatever coach you want, bring in whatever GM you want, you'll never change that image till you stop doing nonsense like that.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

A buyout does nothing for nyk. At some point it's easier to keep Melo on the roster and wait for him to crack than to buy him out. We aren't talking about Josh Smith here. There's still tons of tread on those tires.

amaru likes this.
  7. theh

theh Member

It's clear Melo isn't coming

Htown's Finest likes this.
  8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Ryan Anderson contract is a freaking nuclear waste dump site. I have no doubt it is the main reason Melo isn't a Rocket. What a hack job by Morey on this one.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If the Rockets could put together a deal that gave the Knicks expiring deals I'm sure they'd do it.

Melo opting in next year is still better than taking on contracts of 3+ years at big money. That seems to be the issue here.

They aren't getting anything useful, just mediocre or worse talent for longer deals than Melo. Morey wouldn't do that trade either. He'd probably trade Harden for a penny on the dollar and an expiring in good faith, but no way he would make the Rockets situation WORSE long term.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If he does get bought out (I don't think he will at all) but doesnt that mean he is a free agent and could go anywhere? Are we sure he would choose here once money is in front of him?

11. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I'm thinking the Knicks will have no choice but to take Anderson and the NGs for Melo straight up. They keep doing this nonsense and the deal can be worse for them.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

While that's very possibly true, that just means it's not as probable that he'll come here.

We gave Ryno his contract based on the market & his fit for this team next to James. it wasn't the beat idea, but we had a plan that more or less ended up working.

The KNICKS gave Melo that albatross contract with NO (plausible) plan. They've made series & series of terrible decisions yet they expect something worthwhile in return? They should've thought of that before they turned there whole organization into **** & then accidently stepped in said ****.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Posturing. Gordon is as good as gone to a third/fourth team is my guess. Knicks are posturing and unhappy that the Rockets are unwilling to include anyone but Anderson NGs 2020 first (again my guess)

Rockets need to get this done imo. Gordon-Lee swap shouldn't be the deal breaker. Go big or go home.

Cash Cam, 1Deep and Obito like this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You can't afford to lose Gordon.

It's a no deal if Gordon is involved.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lee is a two way player and another 3 and D guy. What Morey needs to asses is if Lee can be moved without an asset tied to him next summer. We need to remain flexible. If the answer is no, then yes it's a deal we can't "afford" to make since we are throwing away first round picks left and right (2018+2020 both likely gone).

16. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

In total agreement with this. Dream case scenario we keep Gordon but ultimately if we have to move him to get Melo, you have to make that call. Problem is, I think DM knows that. EG more than anything, is definitely a product of our system & teams recognize that.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It would be a 2 year nightmare. No high picks, no playoffs, no adhering to system (for 3rd year running), no significant free agents (especially not anyone affiliated with CAA) and a pissed off Porzingis who can get the max anywhere else.

This could end in Knicks being exactly where they are right now minus Porzingis in 2019. That's not a worst case scenario. That's a 50-50. The worst case scenario is that Ntilikina is also a bust.

For Carmelo, there is either collecting cheques at home or trying to unseat the Warriors. The Knicks can not move on with Noah, Melo, Lee and Hardaway making ~$70m and no one willing to join a toxic situation and no good picks. It's just impossible, even Daryl Morey couldn't pull that off.

Can you even visualize a situation where the same people who pissed away the final 2 years of a NY legend's career are the same people who inspire significant FA's to come over?

The idea that they can endure this thing uncomfortably for the next 2 years must assume that Melo will not be furious. These guys are thinking they will rebuild his value or they will dupe him into thinking that as his contract expires. What they don't understand is that they made Melo realize that he's out of chances. There's one last chance, and it's now with either the Rockets or Cavs. Melo after one more year in NY is no longer a star. He's seen everyone he knows get into prime position now. His marriage is on hold. His kid probably asks him about why he hasn't won a championship.

It won't go well at all. Not for the Knicks, not for Perry, not for Mills, not for their fans. If they were even remotely close to a finals berth, maybe. But it's not close, and it's not even close to being close. He will personally take a sledgehammer to the whole thing if it doesn't work out, and it's probably pissing him off even more than Perry and Mills are trying to trick him. No one believes for one second that those 2 guys are genuine about rebuilding his value.

Time's up for them. They can let Melo hijack the rebuild for 2 years or take 2 years to shed Anderson. I would be shocked if they stuck with Melo. But then it's the Knicks. Who knows.

No Chance and Cash Cam like this.
  18. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I think the question is whether or not Melo makes your starting 5 so good that you really don't need the fire power off the bench that Gordon provides. If we lose Gordon our bench starts to resemble OKC's bench last year.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

That's what the 3rd and fourth teams are for

The pause was first to get Melo to open up to other teams with"better " assets , then it came out it was bc the Knicks want to convince Melo to stay in NY

Now we have a 3rd team in Portland trying to be a "1st team" in the trade

GMs/teams across the league trying to *** Morey /rockets. Envious fukn haters.

The league also wants Melo in Cleveland so they can continue to circle jerk cavs-Warriors down our throats.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly.

I posted earlier a question that didn't get much traction, but it was along the lines of should NY look for a partner outside the two listed, come to near complete terms, then ask Melo to see if he would still not waive his NTC.

See, Melo is in a catch 22 of sorts here too. If he really wants out that badly, a less than ideal situation (i.e. PDX) would still be better than this ****. If he can still try and make it work with NYK, then things aren't as bad he's making it seem. I don't think NYK is as much trying to get something good out of this anymore, I just don't think they want to take on crap. But hey, don't give a guy complete autonomy then question him down the road then?