1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BOTP: Knicks' primary hope is for Melo to open up trade list beyond HOU and CLE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

What you don't get is we were not the FA destination then that we were now. The idea of a LeBron coming to Houston was a pipe dream whereas now there's a very real possibility.

The irony is BECAUSE we went all in on putting complimentary pieces around Harden (including Anderson), had a great season as a team and a historic season for Harden, we were able mend a reputation that was pretty bad (coaching changes, chemistry issues, failed expectations, etc). It's a lot easier to be choosey now that we're "the hot girl everyone wants to date". We did the best we could with what we had at the time. And Anderson played a big role in the culture change that is reaulting in players now wanting to be here. Daryl did the right thing getting Ryno and is doing the right thing getting rid of him for Melo.

TLDR: In Morey I trust.

Mastro and JayGoogle like this.
  2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There is no reason for Morey to offer more bc our end of the deal is okay with ryno and a possible draft pick. It all has to do with the other players in the trade. The Knicks want better pieces from the other teams... We already have takers for Ryno. Obviously, we could offer more to the Knicks, but that's not necessary since we are in the position of power here.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

no, not at all. the crap coming back (leonard's $31M) for ryno cannot be easily offloaded. so indirectly or however you want to package it up, ryno's contract IS the problem here.

4. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hypothetically, if we need to add another sweetener besides the rumored 1st round pick, lets say a heavily protected 2020 2nd round pick to help Meyers Leonard go to the 4th team, would you guys do it?

5. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Using that logic, you can say Melo's contract is the problem. If it wasn't so big or for so long we would not have to trade Ryno to salary match.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wrong. without the no trade clause in his contract they'd have no problem trading him for actual assets, the same way paul george was just traded. only reason they have to trade him for us is because of that no trade clause, and that's how we're able to force them to take back anderson (or in the proposed trade going around, comparable crap in place of anderson)

Bandwagoner likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Of course, a 2nd rounder has little value, basically no value if it's like a 2020 one, no way you can even protect that eventually because again, it has already very little value, if you protect that it means it has literally no value...i mean, you can even buy 2nd rounders with cash considerations...i don't really think we are a 2nd rounder away to get this thing done.

8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

So Because there is a No Trade clause in Melo's contract ... we have too ...

Cause and effect?

I think it is all semantics. It is, so we deal with it.

9. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Nets can absorb Leonard without any issues, send them a 1st to do like they did with Demarre Carroll.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Are you talking about the 2020 FRP? Cuz I'm assuming Knicks would want this pick.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

cause is that ryno is not worth the huge contract he was given, effect is that nobody wants that toxic contract now without sending back their own crap in return

12. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

They can't get cap relief, a young player and a pick. They get 2 of the 3 IMO.

Harkless plus the cap space to sign the PG they want should be enough.

Use the pick to move Leonard to a Nets team that needs draft currency

13. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Just trying to understand the logic.

Your saying Ryno's contract cause the No Trade in Melo's, which lead to us having to use Ryno in the trade for melo?

Seems circular.

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

You think Harkless + cap space will get it done? I don't know man. That's pretty much giving up Melo for free. No wonder they're pausing the trade. LOL

pippendagimp likes this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the no-trade clause already in melo's contract allows us to try and force ryno's contract to be used in a melo trade. otherwise we'd have to use actual assets like gordon/ariza to have any chance at getting melo

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ryno is a 15 mil per year player... He's very serviceable and there are teams that will take him. There is no reason for us to give anything more. EG and Capela not worth giving up... So even if Ryno's contract didn't exist, it wouldn't make sense for the rockets to make a trade with other assets.

17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

No I don't think that's what he's saying. Melo's no-trade clause limited NYK's hands. They can only trade with us or CLE

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not sure where you get that $15M number from. and sure there are teams that will take him, but only if they're allowed to send back their own toxic contracts (see portland!). ryno is a negative asset that no team will just accept at face value without some sort of sweetener to make it worth their while

19. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

They want

Cap relief and young player(s) with upside

that's literally all they can get if anything

20. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

The discussion started with the reason we have to do something with Leonard as part of the deal is because Ryno's contract.
    I stated that we have to use Ryno's contract to match Melo.

If your transferring the "Badness" from Leonard to Ryno, Ryno is only included to match Melo.
    So, how does the "Badness" stop with Ryno and not go to the player we are trying to get?

Pimp was saying if Ryno's contract was different it would be easier.
    I'm saying if Melo's contract was different it would be easier. If Ryno's was different, he may not even be included in this transaction.

Just as a logic excercise.

Edit:

it's not C's fault he has to be included in the deal, It's because of B's bad contract. The only reason B is included is because of A's contract. How do the transfer of "Badness" stop with B and not go to A?