1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BOTP: Knicks' primary hope is for Melo to open up trade list beyond HOU and CLE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2017.

1. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

2. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Knicks are capped out, they can't keep Melo AND add a point guard so it's pointless.

3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Asik didn't have a no trade clause though.

The whole thing is r****ded, imo. If Melo wants to be here he will be here one way or the other. There's no sense f5'ing anymore.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I love DuBose but I think he's been overly optomistic about this deal and it's not allowing us to sit back and say what you would do as an NBA GM in this situation.

It's always been obvious that two teams with no tradeable assets is too small of a market to trade a 30 mil star player. Morey tried but he missed his window to pull a fast one on an interim GM in a tumultuous front office.

I'm telling this to you guys now but when forced into it, Melo will open up to more teams. No way he won't unless he really does love NYC that much and really does want to stay.

No Chance, el gnomo and Aruba77 like this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Mark Berman > Marc Berman

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Stopped reading when he said the Celtics traded for Hayward

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Asik was under contract and Melo is under contract. Asik didn't have a good trade market and Melo doesn't have a good trade market.

That's true, but it will likely have to be through a buyout where he likely gives up a lot of money. Then the Rockets have to worry about Cleveland.

I'm just telling you now that smart GM's (not saying they are smart) opt to do no deal or buy out a player before they do a bad deal. If I was the Knicks GM I never would have shopped him with only two teams with little assets. My goal would be to open up the market and I'd take all summer if I had to.

8. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I'm beyond angry.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

The Knicks continue to have very little leverage. The last thing New York or any franchise wants to do is tick off a star....it simply doesn't happen. And given how connected and respected Melo seems to be among players, crossing him could prevent the Knicks from getting even a look from a star for the next 5+ years.

Melo ultimately holds all the power here...and I don't see Melo cooperating with the Knicks. By all reports he's decided to leave and knows where he wants to be. None of that has changed in the last few hours. If New York starts to drag this out, it could get ugly for them. Look at how vocal CP3 (president of the players union), Harden, Nene and others have been about Melo. Now imagine we are sitting here a month from now and nothing has happened...

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well what are you going to do about?

You're not just going to sit here and take all of this, are you?

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i just don't think the rockets have the leverage a lot of fans think they do. best argument that i've heard on that is, Knicks don't want to lose him for nothing. But honestly, that may not be a strong enough reason. It might be worth playing chicken for the Knicks; if melo leaves for nothing at least they get the cap relief. And by taking a hard line, they improve their chances of Melo broadening his trade destinations (as you say above).

I'm worried. But then i remind myself that i never liked melo much in the first place. And i'm hopeful Morey will be able to put something together by the trade deadline to get us one more step closer to GS.

13 in 33, 90dmswo, No Chance and 5 others like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

That is certainly the risk (and a risk that never should have happened) with Morey not closing the deal sooner by offering up draft picks.

This all comes down to how strongly Anthony feels about going to the Rockets. If he is truly set on the Rockets, then he can likely force himself out of NY to Houston... however there is a real possibility that Anthony increases his list of teams to include 3-4 others.

malakas likes this.
  13. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Oh I completely agree with you about NY opting for the buyout over taking a bad deal. My original prediction was that Melo would end up getting bought out and going to Cleveland, looks like it could still happen.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

the brehs are getting together on saturday to riot in front of the toybox, then prolly grab some chipotle and watch spiderman. you in?

15. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

I do think if Morey is all in on Melo, this will get him to up his offer a bit. Maybe he adds a extra pick or Capela may be added to appease the young starter talk. Sounds like the Knicks really didnt like the offerings. Getting Melo while only losing Anderson wasnt very realistic since they didnt want him.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

dobro, stop making so much sense. you're scaring people here.

No Chance and el gnomo like this.
  17. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Fake news

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Capela is a non-starter

19. Platinumplaq

Platinumplaq Member

The best leverage that the Rockets have is that Melo WANTS to play here... If that weren't the case the Knicks would have traded him elsewhere by now. If I were Morey I'd be willing to give up Zhou Qi and Nanu at this point... just get it over with.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Melon was resolute with PJax and all his mind game efforting. Why would he cave now?

Ben DuBie was right. "Don't trade me and I will opt in!"

arabrocket likes this.