1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there any VEGANS on Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Sep 30, 2015.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I read almost every post of this thread out of curiosity.

I think my diet has always been considered carnivorous. Growing up and still to this day I don't crave sweets but rather meats like beef jerky. It's pretty damn difficult for me to not get jerky at a corner store.

I have went through multiple phases of dieting and currently doing the low carbs high protein and veggies thing.

My question is, I've seen a lot of people say they choose being vegan for ethical reasons. Is that because the unsafe and inhumane mass food production? Or another ethical reason?

I ask because there is plenty of environment healthy options and humane choices. Such as free range chickens and organic grass fed beef.

Does the crappy industry turn off the desire of other options or is it just the thought of eating other animals is unethical?

Genuinely asking.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's definitely a mixture of all the above for me. Ethically, environmentally and health wise, I personally find eating animals and animal byproducts to be unacceptable.

What leads one to a vegan or vegetarian diet is different for everybody though, some care about one, two or all three issues. Some even just don't like the way meat taste believe it or not lol, and or have allergies, sensitivities, conditions etc.

There's definitely ways to have a healthy and environmentally safe non vegetarian diet IMO. The one thing for me is, I'll just never find it ethical to have a non vegetarian diet, I'm just not okay with murdering animals for what I see as pleasure.

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will say, it is very, very, very difficult to manage diabetes with a vegan or vegetarian diet. Not impossible, but close to it.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I disagree. A vegan or vegetarian diet can be one of the best diets to manage or even reverse diabetes 2.

5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Nick, that's not really a fair characterization of my views. I went back and re-read our earlier off-thread exchange about diet and the Teicholz book. I am simply going to paste my half of the conversation here rather than repeat myself. Hope that's okay with you.

8. Buck Turgidson

You're not really accustomed to being around nature, are you?

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes I remember our conversations.

What makes it very hard to manage diabetes on a vegan or vege diet? A boat load of simple sugars is the biggest cause of diabetes 2 correct?

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't live in the woods but I'm probably as knowledgeable of nature as the average person, if not more so in today's modern age.

This question doesn't relate to my post, but I get that you're trying to call me stupid because animals eat and kill each other. I know that, I still hold my views on the ethics of me personally eating animals.

11. Buck Turgidson

I'm not calling you stupid, I'm just wondering what you think would happen if humans ceased to be predators? We've been doing it for thousands of years, what happens if we stop?

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think anything would happen. The animal agriculture industry would disappear.

13. Buck Turgidson

I talk about nature, you talk about industry. What controls the deer? The hogs?

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol you think we really eat wild deer and hogs at mass? That's a hunting hobby.

Almost all the animals we eat are farmed, it IS a industry, and not nature. 10 billion animals are farmed, killed and eaten each year.

15. Buck Turgidson

I don't know where you live, but I'm in Texas, so yes. We have the largest deer and hog populations in North America, by far. I know all about the industrial animal factories, but there's no reason you have to participate in that. There are other options.

What happens to the millions upon millions of acres of pasture once people can't make a living off of it, via cattle, sheep, goats, etc...? Where do you think wildlife lives? What do you think green spaces are? Serious question: what happens to all of that land?

Also, I don't know if you eat soy or wheat or any sort of field crop, but you really don't want to look over a field after it's been cut. It's a holocaust for all the little ground dwelling animals who can't get out of the way. There's blood in your granola.

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm going to hunt me down one of these at Costco this Christmas... [​IMG]

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't understand what point you are trying to make, you're all over the place with this and I can't play with a bunch of hypotheticals, again hunting is a hobby we eat factory farmed animals. Animal agriculture is destroying the majority of our land, NOT preserving it.

18. Buck Turgidson

Not all over the place...my question was pretty simple: what happens to the land and the owners when you take away livestock?

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It would be a dead industry, I don't know what would happen. The vast majority of food is grown by major corps, the farmer joe's are already dying off anyways.

20. val_modus

val_modus Member

It's funny that this is the question we ask, yet never questioned what happened to 70% of all deforestation in Latin America when it was cleared for the cattle industry.

ThatBoyNick likes this.