1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lonzo Ball thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jacoby, Jul 8, 2017.

1. pocketrocket81

I really don't dislike Lonzo Ball it's his dad that everyone cringes at. The kid just needs to take control of his own life and quit letting his dad run the show. That being said if he does become a "bust" then I can see BBB standing for something else.

lw17 likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

So Ball still cares about D? :p

Anyway I feel sorry for the kid, it's not him who went up and down creating drama it's his dad. His dad made the expectations 10x greater then they have to be now he has to go live up to it because everyone wants to see him fail. Coupled with him playing for the Lakers+really good performances by Fultz and Tatum I guess the pressure must have gotten to him.

From a laker hater perspective though I hope he turns into a dud and the Lakers missed out again in the draft like what happened with Russell. His no D and broken Jumper looks just bad.

P.S. @basketballholic I thought you said Thong Maker was better than Capela and you'd trade for them straight up? He played like crap against guys who won't even make it in the NBA wtf.

Pen15clubber and Easy like this.
  3. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

And watch the hate bigot piece of trash posts flood in.

4. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Right on cue, the hate is real.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I only see one of those around here. :rolleyes:

Normalus and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess it is thread worthy since ESPN has already granted the kid an entire network.

Have no time for people who've proven nothing. I do wish him well, and for his sake hope he gag orders his dad.

heypartner likes this.
  7. hooroo

hooroo Member

his game is giving me royce white vibes

B-Bob likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

didn't see him play but unfortunately saw the interview with his dad and the anouncers (pj carlisimo). what a blabbering idiot smh.

lw17 likes this.
  9. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

He took a lot of bad shots

amaru likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dude quit bringing up ethnicity in all of your post.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember Jeremy Lin schooled John Wall in summer league.

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Here's why Lonzo will be a bust in my opinion:

1. Dad. Self explanatory.

2. Lakers going all out in the 2018 free agency. They are already clearing cap space to land Paul George and maybe Westbrook who comes along for the ride. Then, you have the talk about the possibility of LeBron and the banana boat in befitting Lakers' yellow uniforms. Altogether, If Lakers go big in free agency, then I don't see a path of proper development for Lonzo. Sure, he might fit in in that star-studded lineup, but his growth will be severely hampered when 2 other guys takeover the ball.

3. His skillset. This is the era of shooters. Either you can drain shots or you're just... Ricky Rubio. Lonzo is a point guard from a throwback era. Add to that, he has terrible shooting mechanics and the inability to drive or create off the dribble for himself. These are player traits that often don't translate well from college to the NBA. There is only so much you can learn and work on to improve in the pros if it's not in your player DNA.

13. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Why would you think one of the greatest point guards to ever play and a highly successful businessman after his playing days is a moron?

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Rondo seemed to do pretty well this past playoffs before getting injured. I think for guards there are still many ways to be successful in today's NBA.

15. jogo

jogo Member

I wanted Lonzo to fail. His dad is super annoying and outrageous. But that's not on Lonzo; he has to live with that everyday. His dad set the expectations super high. If he fails he knows that his dad will be so disappointed. I feel bad for him now, but I think he'll probably be an okay player. That's fine with me.

But I've also realized my wanting him to fail wasn't for Lonzo and not even for his dad-it was for ESPN making this whole offseason (and the draft) about Ball. Whether it's their sportscasters being controversial just to get attention, their incessant praising of the untalented Tebow, or the way they sway the NCAA and the various sportsleagues they just suck.

I also like to see the Lakers fail so that contributes some, I guess.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rondo is an athletic beast though, if 100% healthy he can get to the rim at will. If you have mad hops you don't need a J just ask Westbrick, Rose, Iverson, Francis etc. But you need at least 2 of either hops, def, playmaking and shooting if you want to make it in the NBA. Wubio has good def and genius playmaking but since he isn't athletic and his J is broken he is only so-so. Ball looked like he was Rubio without defense out there, better hope it was just a bad game lol.

rm365 likes this.
  17. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

If he ends up being a bust, holy crap will that be amazing. I feel bad for him. His Dad runs everything. He's probably broken inside.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

What I'd love is for all of Jim Buss's moves to come good this season. The level of saltiness from Lakers fans would be amazing. Phil Jackson's Knicks tenure was a disaster but Lakers fans not admitting they were wrong about him. Just need more pro-Jim Buss hits to accumulate.

19. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Yup, I remember when Jalen Rose made that comparison to Rubio during his draft everyone was scoffing at that. I always thought he was a Rubio lite. But at least Rubio acts like he cares and plays elite defense.

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Do you really think this is about race? Marinovich's dad would've been roasted just as badly if social media and First Take shows had been around back in his day. Lavar is being purposefully obnoxious... he's fully aware and WANTS people to hate him/Lonzo bc 'no press is bad press'.

I don't hate Lonzo, but I wouldn't mind seeing him fail if that meant no more Lavar. Good thing the two younger Ball's are trash.