1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I bought one of the last Nintendo Switches in Houston today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jun 12, 2017.

1. what

what Member

I haven't owned a game console in maybe 15 years. I bought the switch for 1 game: splatoon 2. I'm 46 years old, and I'm not sure this was a wise purchase as I don't know how much I will play it. But I was obsessed with Slither-i.o, and I kinda like the concept of the game.

Was it worth it? Is Splatoon a hard game to learn for an ancient guy like me after not playing games for 15 years.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Splatoon is a great fun game.
    It's not mind blwongly amazing but a great great great Nintendo version of a first person shooter

That said as an adult that similarly took a console hiatus... you'd be doing yourself a real real real disservice if you don't get the new Zelda. That game is next level awesomeness.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

what, you are about to partake in the greatness that is Zelda BOT. You will be pleased.

4. MystikArkitect

5. what

what Member

I got a question. On one machine, say I'd like to connect my uncle and me to Nintendo Switch online. Can I do that? I mean like say I want me and him to be able to play simultaneously online Mario cart. Or something. Can this be done?

6. what

what Member

Best buy.

Here is a tip for you (if you are really looking for a switch). If you have an android phone, you can ask google for Nintendo Switch. There should be a best buy listing there. Click on that, and if there are stores that have it, it will give you the option of change store and then look for a store that says On Display. If it says on display, they have them.

Problem is that, the latest shipment that they got was sunday, and when I bought mine, there was another couple who bought the other, and now they are sold out again.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

you're 46?!

I honestly thought you were younger

fallenphoenix likes this.
  8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Splatoon is as great game. As simple or complex as you want to make it.

9. what

what Member

I've been looking at several videos and it is getting me excited about the game. I seriously have never found a game, since I was younger, that satisfied my needs.

I like strategy games, and I am drawn to games with character building and depth, but I hate the time wasting mmorpg. I also like games with a clear objective, like fighting games have, but fighting games and racing games get boring because there is very little depth.

This games seems like the perfect combination, so I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought the switch a month before just so I could get the game on day one.

10. what

what Member

I'm young at heart. I know people that are in their forties and they are in rough shape, but not me.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One problem I had with the first splatoon was as you advance and get better, it became more and more frustrating playing with people online because of the poor communication offered. You rely have to rely on your teammates to pay attention to what's going on. Also, it only took one bad apple to spoil the team since they are so small in number.

Still it was a great game. I can't remember when I started to phase out of the game. I wanted to make level 50 but i think i petered out in the low 40s.

12. what

what Member

Yeah, I've heard that complaint. I also heard that not knowing what weapons each player had was kind of a problem. I also heard people didn't like the lan options.

I think the switch is trying to address the online chat feature for the game. I've also read that the new game will allow you to hook up 10 machines for local play, which is cool.

I sort of got the idea that splatoon is a deeper version of quake, with a slightly different objective.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Note to self - sell my Nintendo stock

Major likes this.
  14. jsingles

jsingles Member

Game store at Willowbrook had signs everywhere today that they had Switches. I don't even know what that is, but they don't appear to be a hard find if Willowbook mall has them.

15. what

what Member

If you are talking about game stop, they are sold out. They have been sold out for a while. They did have a few bundles that they were allowing to preorder online a few days ago, but those bundles were nearly $500.

We are talking about the Nintendo switch, are you a gamer?

16. MystikArkitect

Thanks for this. They're sold out again except for in Atascocita so just drove out there to pick one up. They have like 6 left. All the other Best Buy's that had them yesterday are sold out.

Got Zelda and MK8.

17. what

what Member

It worked then! hahahah. I don't know how I figured it out, but I did.

18. MystikArkitect

Haha yes it did. Funny thing was I asked other Best Buy's (Atascocita isn't close to me) if they had it and they said that it was sold out city wide with no more shipments expected for a while.

The girl there guaranteed me they had some and sure enough they did. Get to play Zelda finally.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are they really that hard to get? I was thinking of giving our youngest one for getting on the Dean's List again at UTD. One more year to go and we're finished! (paying for it, that is - you're never "finished" with your kids, of course. shameless parental bragging).

peleincubus likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My kid story for this thread is my son (6 years old) broke his Splatoon game on WiiU taking it out of the case. Sorry, not a very exciting story haha.

Deckard likes this.