1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Packaging Lou and say our 45th for the 31st (Hawks) is about as high as I can imagine

Behind the 31st/Hawks, the next team I see who could be interested is the Bulls at 38, and from 38-60 I think there would be at least 5+ picks/teams we could do a straight Lou for pick swap for without having to including one of our own 2nds.

Perhaps Lou and Harrell for 31st and 60th.

2. basketballholic

I'm talking about this year's draft for Lou.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Lou strikes me as a type of player you want on the roster in the playoffs. He's cheap and the need he was brought in for hasn't changed. I wouldn't deal him for a pick, only a veteran player (1+ years of experience).

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm staying with Portland (especially if they're able to dump Turner or Crabbe) or OKC then, maybe Memphis.

Which teams do you see having some interest for...let's say a low 1st btw?

The problem with Lou is that he has always been pretty bad especially in the playoffs, he was big for us against OKC (they had zero backcourt off the bench though) but if you look at this career numbers you can't stop wondering if that was more a case than anything...the problem though, is more that he's also going to expire next season, and there's a good chance you'll be forced to pay him around 15Mx...which i'm not sure it's really worth it since we already have Gordon...

5. don grahamleone

Yeah, but he's worth keeping for now rather than trading for a project player. I mean, if you're getting a difference maker like Anunoby for him, sure. But to trade him for anything below the 17th pick is kind of a bad risk. I guess it all depends on the situation, but I can see your frustration with him. He wasn't jack in the San Antonio series the later it got. I get that and he's historically a poor shooter in the playoffs, but at 7 million he's still ok to me. You can't rely on the guy, but our team was never going to hang their hat on his performance. To me, if you're not getting a rebounder out of him or a defensive player, it's a lateral move but I could be wrong.

Vivi likes this.
  6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think the bigger problem is needing another 7-8m for a 2nd tier player in FA like Ibaka reportedly in the 20m/per range. Not to mention it would be freaking from a position of strength and getting a return on an asset before it expires.

Vivi likes this.
  7. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We should have 2 real all stars 20 pts 10rebs players in our team. Otherwise it is unable to beat warriors

8. fattz

fattz Member

We need small tweaks and health. Harden is Harder; coach is coach. Our success starts and ends with them and them alone. Harden will melt down if a challenge for leadership is brought in. Coach is going to shave 2 or more years off of a superstar's career because of overuseage --> so no superstar is going to want to play for him along term --> costing a superstar money to play for coach.

Back to tweaking. Another serviceable big was the lacking factor in this year's playoff performance. Nene is was great but really just a band aid for the real problem.

Harrell and Lou found success in the season but not trusted by coach in the playoffs--> Moves around them are our best bet.

Dekkar future as Rocket is hard to understand. Was his lack of playing time in the playoffs trust or health? If trust then move him too.

#3068 fattz, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  9. basketballholic

I dunno if we can get a first in this year's draft for him. That's why I asked. I'd like to see a deal agreed to but not necessarily executed for him at the draft that would get us a high enough first to nab Mason. I'm just afraid Mason is going to be gone before our two picks and I think he's the most critical piece we could add to help our rotation while at the same time saving about $6 million in cap space..Then I'd love to trade Harrell and 45 to move up high in the second and grab Bell and get Bowen at 43 in the second. That's three rookies plus Xi. Sounds like a lot. But there's two extra two spots to fill and we need the salary cap flexibility to chase free agents. And frankly, it's time to move on from Harrell. And if we get Mason he is an immediate upgrade to Lou with his added defense and playmaking. And Bell can do everything Harrell can do and more (defense) and we'd get a fresh three to four years to work with on a rookie contract.

Then later in the summer if you find a deal for Anderson, you could potentially turn it into an even bigger deal by merging Anderson's and Lou's salaries.

#3069 basketballholic, May 27, 2017
    Vivi, Yaosthirdleg and Tha_Dude like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree that it is probably time to move on from Harrell. I just dont see a clear path for him on this Rockets roster. He is a backup C on this roster and cant rebound and defend the paint.

I am fine packing him with a 2nd rounder to move up some if needed.

11. don grahamleone

One trade and you completely rethink what you do in the draft. Crazy how that works. If we move Lou, we better get a player like Mason or Thornwell to replace him. But if you stand pat on trades, you have to think about depth at center and someone to spell Trevor's defense. Interesting offseason.

12. basketballholic

My thought is with Mason replacing Lou in the rotation and with Bev and Gordon pieces we'd like to keep in the rotation, that Harden would move up and pay minutes at the three, spelling Trevor and allowing Ariza to move to the 4 some. That imperatives our defense automatically by being Harden out of the backcourt and get him defending threes where's he's a much better matchup. But you've gotta have backcourt guys that can get over the screens without switching which Mason can do.

With the added cap flexibility, no telling who we could get to go along with those guys. But if we didn't get anybody we'd still be way ahead with Mason taking Lou's rotation minutes and Bell replacing Harrell in the back end of the roster and possibly breaking into the rotation.

#3072 basketballholic, May 27, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. don grahamleone

Blake Griffin. :)

14. basketballholic

Lord no! Doesn't fit. Would rather attempt to trade for George using Anderson, some of those prospects, and future firsts. Or would rather sign millsap and draft that that Lithuanian 7-footer. Or exec trade for Lamarcus. I'd rather sign Aron Baynes for 4/60 then sign Blake.

The ONLY WAY I'd sign Blake is if he agreed to play center for extended minutes including crunch time in our line-up of death. If he wasn't willing to do that, forget it.

15. don grahamleone

I can't say I understand that at all. He can score from the outside or around the basket, he rebounds, hits his FTs. He's not amazing on defense, but he plays it. I'm not saying he makes us the best roster in the NBA, but another player paired with him and you might say that.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ricky Rubio lol

17. don grahamleone

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

What a nice list for us. I think any combination of these players would make us better:

Paul Millsap
    Jeff Green
    Serge Ibaka
    Amir Johnson
    Kyle Lowry
    Stephen Curry
    Jrue Holiday
    Tiago Splitter
    Taj Gibson
    Jeff Teague
    Ersan Illyasova
    Sergio Rodriquez
    George Hill
    JJ Redick
    Shaun Livingston (though his longball leaves something to desire)
    PJ Tucker
    Darren Collison
    Tony Allen
    Jonas Jerebko
    Patty Mills
    Kris Humphries
    James Johnson
    Zaza Pachulia
    Shelvin Mack
    Marreese Speights
    Jeff Withey > Clint Capela
    Adreian Payne is due to blossom
    Dante Cunningham does a little of everything and plays the SF/PF
    Anthony Morrow is a bit of a 3 and D guy (I think he's like a career .417 3pt shooter)

All of the above are unrestricted.

If the Warriors pay Curry, they may not be able to hold onto James McAdoo even though he's restricted.

So even without trading anyone, we could get better. At least on paper.

jb86 likes this.
  18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Blake Griffin is a lot of things, but a bad fit on a Mike D'Antoni team he is most certainly not. I'd take him in a hearbeat, flaws and all, but I highly doubt he comes here.

And if we're trading Anderson for George, which bad contracts from Indiana are we taking on? Monta? Big Al? Because we both know that's the only way this sort of deal goes down. Asking Indiana to both let go of a top 15 player AND take on a massively overpaid player like Anderson is a tall task.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Unrealismismsm

20. basketballholic

He's not efficient from the outside. Takes way too many of the shots we don't like. (Over 53% of his FGA from midrange where he his less than 40%.) He used to have around 20% of his shots were dunk steps. Now he's down to about 8%. Look at how his dunk count has fallen and his midrange jackery has skyrocketed. And he likes to post up high and jack around with the ball. Griffin has totally clogged up the Clippers offense by demanding superstar touches, which he is going to demand and get agreement to before he signs with anybody else.

This is precisely why Chris Paul doesn't want him. Unless Griffin is rolling and dunking and rebounding he's bogging down and clogging up the offense. And his defense has become progressively more non-existent as he has aged and become more ball dominant.

Don't want any of that. He'd have to agree to play 5 and run pick and roll almost exclusively to possibly be a positive in MDA's system. Good luck getting him to agree to that.