1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith tells tales of Vernon Maxwell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 24, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac did quit on the rockets .
    He even was telling Los Angeles radio that the rockets would lose.

It's not even remotely the same thing.
    tmac was a max player and he never led the rockets anywhere.
    Vernon was our hot headed role player.

If you can't figure that out then too bad.
    Anyways I'm with Clutch cause he represents the truth. Go to Toyota center and boo max when he's back again.
    You'll be the only one

2. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell isn't the messed up person here.
    Max is a 50 year old dude who admited he made a mistake 20 years ago leaving a team.

We have another old dude acting like Maxwell ate his children

#22 tinman, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    chievous minniefield likes this.
  3. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I should take the high road. I should empathize with your feelings on Maxwell as a player. I should see your point of view...

Nah... F that. I will A ) ask you to STFU. And then B ) not care if you do... cuz you are going on that ignore list.

GTFOH with this noise. After what he did against the Knicks to get Houston our FIRST championship... I am OK with Maxwell. It sucked what happend in 95. But I can empathize with him, because he was our heart for that 93-94 team. Backed down from NO ONE. But then he was relegated to a lesser role.

But if I were to make a choice of 11's from Rockets history... he would be #1. And I LOVE Yao. But Max was that guy I rooted for night in and night out no matter how many ill timed 3's he took. I can recall Gene Peterson calling radio games and those "Oh boy" moments when Max threw up a wild one. But that was Max... wild.

So yeah. Bye Felicia.

REEKO_HTOWN, BigMaloe and tinman like this.
  4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I love how Vernon didn't give a squat who he was going up against - wouldn't let MJ step over him and backed it up with his play. That's why we were decent against the Bulls.

tinman likes this.
  5. Chamillionaire

I was at that game.

BigMaloe, hakeemthagreat and tinman like this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Vernon's otherwordly athleticism and Mercurial nature/huge heart drove him to heights where he could regularly shut down MJ.. That same heart ..the one that helped us win that first title..couldn't handle Clyde coming in....Yes, we're taught early on not to quit, but Mad Max had already been a big factor in us scaling the mountain. He was deep in the heart and soul of that Championship team.(right down to sticking the final dagger in the Knicks) Maybe that's why it hurts some so much. But that's part of the package and I'll take that (and the results) any day. It happened. We still won that second title. Vernon's always been one of my favorite Rockets, and always will be.

#27 Plowman, May 25, 2017
  8. blackistan

blackistan Member

BAN all those who are hating on Mad Max please

tinman likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The guy hit the biggest shot in franchise history to that point...sealing the first title in Houston sports history....he's since acknowledged his mistake, and has said it's his biggest regret. That, in no way, resembles Bud Adams.

It's been a while..and the Rockets still won the 95 title...might be time to put that baggage down. Seems like it's awfully heavy.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Or step back and think about whether it's worth holding a 24 year old grudge, or embracing a guy who is repping Houston again by his own choice.

EDIT ^^^ What MadMax said

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Look, I've been on your side about Tmac from the get go except I don't believe that he quit but rather that he came up short when it counted the most. And him going on the radio to speak out against the Rockets after what they gave up to get him here only to do end up doing squat shows just shows what a never-was he is (which is why I can't stand the sight of him to this day - especially him sitting at courtside smirking). BUT he did not walk out on his team during a championship run ( because there were no championship runs thanks to him) because of some bullshit. It was hard enough to win that 2nd title as the 6th seed and all and this POS did everything he could to torpedo their chances and that is the one thing I will never ever forgive or forget because he betrayed his team and the rest of us. You, Clutch and all the others here can go out to the TC and pretend what he did wasn't that big a deal all you want - it will NEVER ever erase away what he did. I want nothing to do with his sorry quitter ass.

12. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

It's clear that if Max could do it all over again, he'd handle things differently.

We all knew him as 'Mad' Max for a reason, and it wasn't because he was level-headed. But that's exactly why we loved him. No sane person would challenge 7 footers to fights in practice. Jordan geniunely feared Maxwell. Ironically, much like Artest, Max also found himself in the stands. We all understood: you take the good with the crazy. But make no mistake, he's as real and loyal as they come. Part of me still believes he left the team because he couldn't deal with the 'demotion' (in his eyes), and didn't want to be a locker room distraction during the 2nd championship run. A truly vindictive person would have sabotaged his team from within.

@HillBoy the young fella you're blasting on this forum doesn't even exist anymore. He's gone and now we have the best of Max without the 'mad'-ness. We all have demons. He's dealt with his, found peace in himself, restored his relationships, and now enjoys a richer life as a family man. Let's celebrate the depth of character that's emerged in Vernon and his return home to Houston.

Despite the playoff disappointment, this season has been a memorable one for me precisely because Vernon is back and here to stay. It's time to let it go and embrace the Twitter beast who reps H-town with more fire and savagery than any other.

#32 Richie_Rich, May 25, 2017
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Did you even watch the documentary? it goes deep into this subject.

You act like this is Kermit Washington sucker punching Rudy T and ending his career. Even that was forgiven.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen!

Richie_Rich likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Who quit the Hardest on the Rockets?

MadMax in 2nd run
    T-Mac in Raps game
    Harden in every playoffs

17. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

"Just google it."

I love this man.

Williamson and CCity Zero like this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man!!! It would have been wonderful for Mad Max to defend Jordan in the finals, would have loved to see Max goto work and get into MJs head...

Tha_Dude likes this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I appreciate what he did for us but his attitude during the second run was terrible. I can however empathize. There was alot of poor planning done during that trade for Drexler. Maxwell should have been traded for Jay Williams at the same time the Drexler trade happened but because we picked up Drexler first and decided to move him to the bench before we could have even traded him that was just a bad personel move. I'm sure that locker room was pretty rough for everyone as well. Elie sure as hell felt it too when they almost shipped him off for Stoudamire. I am just glad Horry was able to brush off his scenario to help us win.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Would you forgive Pippen if he embraced the city of Houston?