1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I've watched every single game he's ever played for the Texans. I'm just mature and disciplined enough to remember the times before his disastrous end here. He was a damn good QB. You don't average 300 yards per game by just being a "system QB". You think the Texans would have had that offense with Alex Smith under center? He made the system work.

AFS and HTown_TMac like this.
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Schaub was a top 10, maybe 12 (if you want to be pessimistic) QB in his prime. There is no doubt that he was very good over a few years. He crashed and burned hard, but when healthy, our offense was awesome to watch with him at QB.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He always was so good at hitting Andre/Kevin on those 15-20 yard ins on zone coverage. Loved it.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

TBH, I think Watson will be more bust than good. His weak arm and propensity to throw INTs will limit him to ~20th best QB at best.

I'm far from an expert though and will gladly, happily eat crow.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  6. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat. It would be a miracle if he lives up to the expectations, but it just seems like he'd be a bust.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Better than Osweiler's camp last year?

Nook and Kendrick Lamar like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Winston and Ryan both threw a lot of INTs in college; I think Watson's work ethic and championship pedigree will help

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be fair, and I totally drank the koolaid on reports of Brock last year, there were definitely some people that were saying Savage looked better than Brock in camp. Just no one wanted to listen, myself included.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/23/hear-me-out-hammonds-observations-texans-otas/

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his rookie year. His last 2 years in college a total of 25-27. He worked on hos issue and you know the rest.

All Watson has to do is work on his issue and he will be fine. But hey I understand everyone has to put in their prediction.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lance Z and some others said Savage looked much better throwing the ball last year but Brock's paycheck kept him as the starter

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Haha thanks, I couldn't remember who it was. And I didn't listen but I hope that isn't the case this year.

14. Mr. Clutch

There are people now saying Watson has thrown some bad passes and is struggling with reads

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Well, yeah he's a rookie... that tends to happen with your first practice(s) EVER with an NFL playbook and NFL players.

It sounds like Savage has made the same type of mistakes so far and he's been with us for MUCH longer. Also sounds like Brandon Weeden has looked like our best QB in camp, so far. Would you like him to be anointed as the starter now? Or later?

16. Mr. Clutch

Well yeah it was Osweiler's first year in the system...that tends to happen with your first practice EVER with O'Brien super-complex genius offense.

I'm not saying Watson will suck, just trying to see both the positives and negatives out of camp.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Brock was a rookie last year too????

Fullcourt likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

There were many excuses given about Brock's crappy play. One was that it was his first full year as a starter and the other was learning a new system. Either way it was crappy play and we should remember to be try to see both positives and negatives.

Many of the people who loved the Brock signing also loved wasting a 2nd round pick to trade him away.

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

The way I look at it, we traded a 1st, a second, and Brock Osweiler for Deshaun Watson and 16 mil. Will it be worth it? I hope so.

I understand you think the 2nd was a waste, and yes it was a huge mistake getting Brock in the first place. But if you would take that 2nd back along with Brock at OTA's right now you're insane. Not to mention you have Brown holding out, Clowney and Hop need money, so lets lose that 16 mil as well. Brock was an extremely failed experiment, and that sucks, but what they gave up for 16 mil, Deshaun Watson, and no Brock to start this year was worth it.

20. Mr. Clutch

Who cares if Brock is at OTA's?

The 2nd was definitely a waste because we didn't even use the capspace. Sure we can roll it over next year, but then we also don't have a cheap rookie either, so we'll have to sign an FA to replace him.

If we couldn't afford Cloweny, Hop and Brown extensions with Brock's contract, why did we ever sign him in the first place?

Nook likes this.